Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #16  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
Absolutely nothing. DH's health insurance pays for each of us a gym membership at participating gyms. I encourage everyone to check with their insurance benefits department to make sure you aren't overlooking this perk. It amazes me that even though it's FREE some people still won't use it.

If we did pay, it would be $45 (each) per month, with no contract.

Ahhhh, I remember when I was young enough to be included under my stepfather's insurance which included free membership. Turning 21 has screwed everything!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #17  
soon to be a SkinnyDipper

S/C/G: 256/232/139

Height: 5'4"

$96/month 1 year contract - couples plan for both of us.
ChunkyDunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Bally's at $16/month

$576 for 3 years at Bally's, paid in advance. Works out to $16/month.

Heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, roof top rubber track, numerous free classes, spinning, pilates, zillion cardio, standard weights and resistance machines.

[ Unlike Boston Sports Club @ $75/month, we bring our own towels. ]

Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #19  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Oh, the pain of living in a small town. The "health club" is $90 per month. Two small "gyms" with few pieces of equipment are around $40 per month. Thus, like horsey - my gym is at home. I indulge in new DVDs every month (2-3), I have a body solid weight machine, a Gazelle, resistance bands, yoga props, "stretchies", and dumbbells. Oh, and a bicycle, and XC skis, and feet for walking

Last edited by CountingDown; 02-05-2008 at 10:08 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #20  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm getting gym envy.

I intend to use the gym facilities when we are on our cruise. If I like what happens, I will seriously consider one. I wish Aetna, boobalah's insurance, would provide one. They do have a limited number of gyms in this area and really no savings to mention.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #21  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

We have a family of 4 and our family gym membership is $84.00 monthly.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I go to a small gym now, have been for about 3 months, and I just signed a year contract making it $32 a month. It's a Fitzone, which I hear is kind of like Curves. Lots of cardio equipment, a weight circuit, lots of free weights, balls, bands, steps, ect, & tons of classes you can take. Tanning for an additional small fee.

I used to have a YMCA membership $63 for just me, or $90 for my family. It had tonnnnns of equipment, classes, also a pool and a bunch of fancy jazz, but I never really used any of it, so it was a waste of money.

I'm completely happy with my $32/month small gym...I use everything in it, so it's worth it!
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
$576 for 3 years at Bally's, paid in advance. Works out to $16/month.

Heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, roof top rubber track, numerous free classes, spinning, pilates, zillion cardio, standard weights and resistance machines.

[ Unlike Boston Sports Club @ $75/month, we bring our own towels. ]
That's a good deal. I'm in Metrowest, so no Bally's is near me
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #24  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I pay $45 a month to go to a very nice gym located in a wellness center. All the cardio machines have their own TV's and there are 22 different weight machines, plus lots of other things I haven't learned about yet.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I'm getting gym envy.

I intend to use the gym facilities when we are on our cruise. If I like what happens, I will seriously consider one. I wish Aetna, boobalah's insurance, would provide one. They do have a limited number of gyms in this area and really no savings to mention.
Just to let you know going on a cruise and going to work out can be very challenging. My son and I both worked out on our cruise in Jan. Both of us felt dizzy after doing cardio. Weights were alright but not the cardio. We belong to the YMCA in a small town but have great equipment pool, courts and two locations within 15 miles of each for about $50 for the whole family. Individual is about $35. It also includes any classes that I wish to take.

Last edited by sharonrr1; 02-06-2008 at 08:30 AM.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

My old gym, Lucille Roberts, was $300 when I paid for 2 years in advance. My new gym, Snap Fitness, is $49/month, no contracts, and unlimited tanning
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I go the family Y here in town. If I just wanted to go to a branch one (which was alittle out of the way) it was only $29 a month. But I prefered going to the Metro one and it was $40 a month. But their rates just went up to $45. My boyfriend started out paying for my membership November 2006 and this month will be my first month of having to pay for it myself. But I love this gym...and I want to keep going, so....guess i'll be finding a way to fork out $45 a month...at least until summer when I can take up jogging after work when the sun is up longer. I enjoyed going jogging right before the time change and wouldn't mind taking it up again. But our family y has all kinds of great things to offer. Classes, tons of cardio machines, lots of weight machines and free weights, they do have an outdoor pool and an indoor pool (which maybe i might end up using this summer, who knows)....and i can go to any Family Y that I want to no matter what state i am in. So..that's pretty cool.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #28  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

My local YMCA is 60 a month, which is very expensive, but the appeal is the unlimitted classes and swimming pool. My friend goes to a women's gym that's $360 for 14 months, but it's too out of the way for me to visit after work. I think I'm going to stick with the Y.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I pay $24 a month at L.A. Fitness, and the contract is month to month. It's a good gym, but since it's the biggest gym on my side of town, it's packed a lot of the time.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #30  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I pay $25 a month for Bally's. But next August, when my three-year commitment runs out, my rate is going to drop to $7 a month (it was a deal I got when I signed up for a package of personal training sessions). Even at $25 bucks a month, I figure it is a great deal. I'm in there six or seven days a week, sometimes twice a day (if I do a yogo or stretching class in addition to my regular workout). So that's around $1 a day. I use all of the cardio equipment (except the recumbent bikes), the weight machines, the free weights, the dry sauna, and I go to the classes. When my sister and her family was staying with me, I even used the showers (4 adults and 2 kids = 1 very overworked 10-year old water heater ). I try to use my gym as much as I can; I think of it as a contest to get the most for my $1 per day. But I do have to bring my own towels.

I also have a personal trainer. I try not to think about what I pay for that...it's a lot more than my gym membership, that's for sure!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote