3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Protien Shakes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/132230-protien-shakes.html)

CountryGirl18 01-23-2008 01:48 AM

Protien Shakes

Whats your favorite brand of whey protein? And what do you add to your shakes?

tomandkara 01-23-2008 06:57 AM

Funny you asked! Just yesterday I tried "MyoPro Complete Whey Protein Whey Chocolate". My husband had it for after he went to the gym and I've been feeling like I'm not getting enough protein so he encouraged me to give it a try. One scoop is 125 calories and has 22g of protein. I mixed it with milk, on my husband's suggestion (he said it's nasty with water) and it was pretty good! I'm going to have a shake when I get back from runs for now on. For about 200 calories with eight ounces of skim milk, seems like a pretty decent deal!

Kara

JayEll 01-23-2008 07:23 AM

I like Designer Whey protein powder in the strawberry flavor. 90 cals, 18 gms protein. I drink it in 8 oz. 1% milk (105 cals), but it is OK in cold water as well.

I have an allergic reaction to hydrolized soy protein, so I avoid it. No problem with whey. :) I usually have this as a snack rather than as a meal replacement.

Jay

skinnyvanilly2b 01-23-2008 08:32 AM

I wanna try protien shakes, but i had some that tasted too chalky and gross... whats the best kind?

ellis 01-23-2008 08:38 AM

I use Protein+ made by Genuine Health. It's got 25g of protein in a scoop.

Also in my shakes I use frozen mixed berries, yogurt, skim milk, and Salba (ground chia seed). They're fairly palatable. :lol:

Ray of Light 01-23-2008 09:16 AM

Hi Kara,

My 21 year old is a manic in his athletic training - he has a big tournament for Brazilian Ju Jitseu coming up.....and he tried something different - protein shakes and he says he can't believe how much better he feels and he sez he has way more energy.

I also just started ingesting one that has absolutely no sugar and no aspartame.....it tastes gross but I take it as medicine :)

Ray xo

tomandkara 01-23-2008 10:08 AM

Tom was drinking them after Tang Soo Do (Korean martial art). He said he had read that the protein can help the muscles heal faster. He swears by them!

Kara

tomandkara 01-23-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellis (Post 2015050)
Also in my shakes I use frozen mixed berries, yogurt, skim milk, and Salba (ground chia seed). They're fairly palatable. :lol:

We use frozen berries in our regular smoothies! Eliminates the need for ice. And SO yummy!

What's the chia seed for?

Kara

ellis 01-23-2008 10:21 AM

Kara, I just recently heard about the health benefits of chia seed. It's really high in omega 3, fibre, and antioxidants. And it's got some protein in it, too. I haven't found a source for plain old chia seed here yet, but I found it (more expensive, of course) under the brand name of Salba. It's the same stuff, and you should be able to find chia seed pretty easily in the States.
There's info on it here:
http://www.sourcesalba.com/index1.php

Lifeguard 01-23-2008 10:33 AM

I currently have designer whey - find it has a bad smell but the taste is ok.

Previously I have really enjoyed Whey Gourmet. They have a TON of different flavours & they're pretty good (although I really didn't like the mango one). Chocolate Peanut Butter was fantastic. Can't get them here though - I might get a friend to bring some down when they come to visit.

BillBlueEyes 01-23-2008 11:11 AM

Vanilla Designer Whey

I just started making a protein shake of vanilla Designer Whey in 8 ounces of skim milk after a workout with some muscle burn. Maybe it helps my muscles, maybe not. But it does help my head to keep going with the workouts since my muscles MUST be getting bigger now, LOL.

Tharmony 01-23-2008 11:25 AM

I'm not a breakfast person so it's usually easier for me to have a protein shake in the morning. For variety I like adding an eighth of a teaspoon of an extract (mint, banana, classic vanilla, etc.) or some sugarless flavored syrup (almond is my favorite).

wisher 01-23-2008 12:09 PM

I've never tried protein powder so I can't recommend a brand but when I make my shakes I use skim milk, a frozen banana, raw oats and a tablespoon of peanut butter.

chick_in_the_hat 01-23-2008 06:20 PM

I have thyroid issues so I stay away from Protein Powders that are soy based. I like an egg white protein powder that I get in bulk from a natural foods store. No sweetener - no flavor, I can use it in soups or smoothies.

sidhe 01-23-2008 11:04 PM

I use Pure Whey. I have vanilla and chocolate right now. I searched long and hard for a chocolate that didn't taste bitter to me.

One thing to try is protein pudding. Jello sugar-free, fat-free powder, skim milk, and protein powder (I use 2 scoops). I mix it up and leave it in the fridge to set, it keeps for about 3 days. Try different combinations (lemon pudding and chocolate powder, chocolate pudding, vanilla powder, and orange extract, chocolate fudge pudding, chocolate powder, peppermint extract).

I use skim milk, frozen berries, cottage cheese, water, peanut butter, pudding powder, Greens powder, plain yogurt...all sorts of things in my shakes. Just play around and find a favorite! :)