Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #1  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Question Scale Insanity! What do y'all do?

I am starting to develop a complex about scales!!!! I weigh on 3 different ones, and I'd like a little perspective on how any of you all manage not to let scales drive you crazy.

Primarily, I weigh myself on my home scale, and that is what I track in my food journal. I have an OK relationship with it - I think it's about as crazy as I am (giggle) I like that it helps me judge how much my weight changes during the day/week/month.

But... I also weigh in on the scale at my doc's office. And I usually weigh in later in the day on this one, so I'm ok that they don't match and all. It is, after all a doctors scale. And I only weigh in there every other week or so.

But...I just joined a weight challenge at work, and we weigh in on YET ANOTHER SCALE. Now this one is an outright liar - it weighed pretty much everyone about 4 pounds heavy. Our challenge is determined on the change in our weights ON THAT SCALE.

Do I just need to get a grip? I'd really like to hear how anyone feels about multiple scales (or heck, even one scale). Thanks!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Get a grip. Go by your scale at home for assessing your weight loss. Forget about what the other say. The important thing is the difference between start weight and current weight on the same scale, weighed at about the same time and same conditions.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

I hatem too... I have to weigh at least once a day, in the mornings!!Argg
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

After years of hopping on the scale 3+ times a day when losing weight and letting the scale completely drive my happiness/motivation, I decided to limit myself to weighing only once a week, under the same conditions.

I weight myself every Sunday morning - get up, pee, strip, weigh. This gives me the greatest consistency. I am not one of the people that can handle the daily 1-5 lb fluctuations (or heaven forbid, find the fluctations "interesting").

I understand that you are committed to weighing on several scales, but pick THE scale that you accept as YOUR weight loss scale and stick to the weigh-ins from that scale alone for your mental health. If you weigh during the day, everything you eat/drink/wear impacts the weigh results and that's just way too much craziness for anyone to handle!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly I wouldn't weigh on multiple scales. That's a sure way to make yourself insane.

I started out weighing on the scale at the gym - it ran about 10lb heavier than my home one, but it was a better scale, so I went with it. Now that I've switched gyms, I bought a new digital scale that recalibrates every time you turn it on.

Now that's the ONLY scale I weigh on.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #6  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Thanks all!

Some really good food for thought (calorie free no less)

My scale at home will now be THE scale. My doctor can chart my progress on her scale, I'll chart my progress on mine! As to the work one - peh. The challenge runs for two months and NOTHING says I have to weigh in again until then. Wow - I feel almost sane again.

Jay- Thats what I thought -OK grip gotten

Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #7  

Oh boy! Weighing on multiple scales would drive me crazy...and it would be a short drive cause I am just about there!

I am MUCH happier weighing once a week at most. I don't obsess over the numbers and just concentrate on keeping to plan, and eating right.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Scales in general drive me crazy. I go back and forth between monthly and weekly weigh-ins. Multiple scales would drive me bonkers.

There is a part of me that wants to get the latest, greatest, full of bells and whistles scale instead of my old fashioned dial scale but truly, does a pound or two here or there matter in the big scheme of things?

I am not 100% free of being controlled or influenced by the numbers of the scale (reference post earlier this week about the scale NOT moving!) but I'm trying to develop a healthy attitude about the numbers on the scale - healthy for me being the key. What is healthy for me may not work for someone else.

Find what works for you and be confident with it. Also, know that what is right for you today, what works for you today may change down the road but don't sweat it. Like Monet said....stick to plan and eat right. Gradual changes that are sustainable seem to be the key to success!
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #9  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

i would stand and look up when on the doctors and work scales let someone else read and record it .. they are little electronic liars.. lol ignoe the ones that show you heavier and only pay attention to the good ones lol
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

i only count my weight loss on the one from home. i may curse under my breath if another showed a 4 lb gain, but then i'd shrug and be on my merry way.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Well, I think it isn't as big of a deal as you think. I mean, if the scale at work is 4 lbs heavier, than you started the work challenge 4 pounds heavier. I mean, if you lose 20 pounds, you still lose 20 pounds according to the scale. You just might not weigh in at 180, it might be 184.
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote