Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #1  
Work it out.

Default I need some serious tips on loosing 10 pounds in a Month

I need to loose 10 pounds by Febuary 9th. I'm pushing close 270, so I know it's poosible but I need some great healthy diet tips ladies.
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #2  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Smile

Water, water, water,
and hit the gym like crazy,
and a lot of snacks through out the day
special k bars are only 90 calories, I think they might even have a special K diet.

The most I ever lost was 8 lbs a month from a ONE HOUR-THREE times a week step class. So that might be a great idea (check the colleges nearby or a gym with good classes-even a home video)

10 lbs a month is not typical for most of us, but I think if you jump start a fitness plan (safely, like with a doctor's approval) you will be thanking yourself in 30 days!!!

Having said that, knowing what to do and doing it are 2 different things!!!

GOOD LUCK and PLEASE be safe!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I'm sorry to say that 10 pounds in one month is likely to be unrealistic... without doing some damage to your body, that is. In my opinion, crash weight loss should be avoided, and 10 pounds in one month is close to being like that.

Why not begin a good food and exercise program for weight loss, one that is healthy, not dangerous... and then just see how much you do lose in 1 month. That might be a better way to proceed.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #4  
back on the wagon...again

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I actually lost almost 20 pounds the first month I started my diet (I was 290 when I started trying again in Sept)- and I wasn't being unhealthy. I ate 1200 cals a day (which my doctor said was fine), almost every day I ate oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and cheese sticks or Pria protein bars for snacks, a big salad with the spray dressing for lunch, and WW meals for dinner, and I exercised 30-60 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week. And LOTS of water. I lost 6 pounds the first week. It slowed down a bit, but for the first 3 months I was losing 3-4 pounds a week, as long as I was meticulous about my cals and exercise. I now usually lose about 2 pounds a week.
celticqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

-Ask your dr. how many calories you should be eating. I know I couldn't survive on 1200 cals. I used to always try to crash diet and then got depressed when I "didn't have the willpower" to follow through. Umm, hello, I was starving. Plus, if you lose too much too fast, it can result in flabby, saggy skin. Is it worth the risk?

-Eat lots and lots and lots of fruits and veggies. And then eat some more. fill your plate with 1/2 F&V, 1/2 protein, 1/2 starch (preferably whole grain). Don't forget @ least 3 servings/calcium a day, plus about a tablespoon of healthy oil like olive.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #6  

Is 1200 really little? I can't remember where I got that number from, but when I checked with my dr he said that was fine. Those first few months I didn't feel hungry, but maybe I was on a losing weight high I fell off the wagon right after Thanksgiving and can't seem to get back on, and yeah, now trying to stay at 1200 is really hard. But I've also lost my main motivation for it - my March vacation has been pushed to July, so the urgency isn't there now. How many cals do you do rubberlegs?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Celtic, 1200 is quite low. It is the lowest number of calories that is generally recommended and for many, it is the calorie allotment used when trying to lose that last 5 - 10 pounds. Beween 250 - 300 lbs, I was eating closer to 1800 calories. I've had to lower it as I've gotten smaller to continue losing weight. Now, I average between 1300 - 1400 per day.

Keep in mind that the more we weigh, the more calories it takes for us to survive. Someone who weighs more, needs more calories than someone at the lower end of the range.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #8  

Huh. Maybe I'll have to talk to my doctor again. That is one of the reasons I was getting so discouraged, because I kept "cheating" (although I was just eating extra pieces of fruit or cheese sticks - but after the first few months, I was hungry!) And wow!!! I just saw your ticker - 4 pounds from your goal - you've lost so much weight!!! That is just awe inspiring! Congrats! (sorry for the thread hijack motivation!)
Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #9  
Work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticqueen View Post
Huh. Maybe I'll have to talk to my doctor again. That is one of the reasons I was getting so discouraged, because I kept "cheating" (although I was just eating extra pieces of fruit or cheese sticks - but after the first few months, I was hungry!) And wow!!! I just saw your ticker - 4 pounds from your goal - you've lost so much weight!!! That is just awe inspiring! Congrats! (sorry for the thread hijack motivation!)
lol it's okay. I want too lose 10 pounds to look HOT in this dress ladies, and I ordered a 18/20 but I'm going to try both the 18/20 and 22/24 on Monday. I need too loose 10 pounds too look well fitted in the dress, that's the reason why I'm so desperate too loose the 10 pounds by Feb. BTW this dress is for my 22nd Birthday.

http://www.monifc.com/images/8-3pics.jpg
Old 01-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

celtic: I don't count calories - I do Weight Watchers (Core plan) which is mostly whole foods. 1200 calories is roughly equivalent to 20 points for WW's flex plan, which is really, really low - you should be very close to goal if you want to go that low. Also, if you don't eat enough for your weight, you can wreck your metabolism.

Last edited by rubberlegs; 01-12-2008 at 10:36 PM.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I see a lot of "my doctor said it was okay" and "you should check with your doctor" in here. Unfortunately, the reality is that most doctors are NOT very knowledgeable in the area of weight loss, esecially for those needing to lose more than just a few pesky pounds. Most doctors believe diets are "one size fits all" and would probably prescribe 1200 calories to someone needing to lose 5 pounds and another person needing to lose 205 pounds. Doctors know a lot of things, don't get me wrong, but weight loss is typically NOT their strong point. If you need more information, I would suggest getting a referral from your doctor to a registered professional dietician/nutritionist. Even some of those are a bit on the questionable side--so if you meet with one who isn't willing to work with your current tastes and lifestyle (I had this problem), don't be afraid to try another one--but I think it would be more helpful than a general physician.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #12  

Good point Jill. You know, my uncle is actually a nutritionist, among other things It never occurred to me to ask him, but I think I will. I do have The Biggest Loser book and they had a little formula in there and according to that I should be eating around 1800 cals - that seems like a lot though.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

motivation86 -- that's a cute dress!

I lost more than 10 pounds the first month I was losing, and I weighed a little more than you do. It is possible. In my case, I watched what I ate very carefully (but didn't calorie count that first month), and watched portions, and just tried to move more.

That being said, I always hate setting weight loss goals tied to dates. You run the real risk of getting discouraged, even if you're really successful.

In your case, it's tricky, because it's hard to know WHERE we will lose the weight from and exactly how that dress will fit is a mystery. It might fit after 7, or it might be after 15. Alsol, a lot of the weight we lose at first is water. I have no idea if that makes you more or less likely to fit the dress when all is said and done.

So, my concern isn't really about how realistic it is to lose 10 pounds, but how that goal translates to wanting to fit into the dress! If it were possible, I'd recommend starting a diet and exercise program and starting now! Be healthy about it, don't go crazy, see what happens. And, just in case, have a backup outfit in case you don't like how you look in the dress yet!

Good luck.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #14  
Work it out.

I just want the dress to appear well fitted. I lost about 4-5 pounds in 2 weeks, which im proud off. I don't necessarily need to loose 10 pounds, by Feb, but I want to look nice in that dress. My ultimate goal is too loose 70 pounds, but Iím so desperate to loose a little weight and inches before my birthday. If all else fails, I will be purchasing a full body girdle lol.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well now, you do your thing, and you will look beautiful! That is such a nice dress!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote