5 lbs away f/the 100lb goal & blew it by 600 calories

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Sigh,

I'm so mad with myself.

I've been doing really good since may, drinking my 12 cups of tea/water/pelligrino... working out 6 days a week, counting my calories.

Since May, I've lost 95 lbs to date from a high of 293 lbs.

Today, I pre-planned my day's menu... since I slept in late today, my breakfast was really at lunchtime.

Then I had a fattening snack (read: an extra few tablespoons of almond butter measured out with an actual measuring tablespoon since I don't trust myself to just "eye" a serving by the butter knife), since it'd been since May since I've actually allowed myself to have a big caloric snack here (a big caloric snack to me is several servings of almond butter or say a scone/muffin at starbucks).

A few hours later I had my dinner of stir-fried shirataki noodles with a small amount of pesto sauce & sauteed veggies and a side of steamed veggies and 2 low caloric/low carb crackers with a tiny handful of mashed warm blueberries for dessert.

I topped it off with a couple of delicious cups of Bengal Spice & Blueberry True herbal teas (Celestial Seasons).

Then right after my "Desperate Housewives" show, I had to start cleaning up in the kitchen and whammo-- my stomach GROWLED. It was like an evil cackle from the Wicked Witch of the West saying "oh noooo, you're not going to fool me tonight by having a few cups of tea here. Feed me or I'll kill you." (Okay the Wicked Witch never really said that to Dorothy, but you get the point. )

Because I was literally in the middle of washing dishes, the only thing I could do was go for several handfuls of almond nuts... when I was finished with the dishes, I was able to nuke a plate of low caloric shirataki fettucini noodles and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. After that, and some more nuts and some plain cinnamon tea, my stomach quieted down to a lull.

I know I blew it by about 5 or 600 calories. I usually keep my calories about 1200-1250 calories a day.

I'm just mad with myself because I've lost 95 pounds since May. I weigh myself this coming Wednesday (my weekly weigh in is Wednesdays) and then after that, I won't be able to weigh myself for 2 weeks (due to TOM). I'm sooo close to the 100-lb goal here, I'm just slapping my forehead in frustration.

I've never really had my stomach act like this in the 9 months since I started losing weight here, so I know it wasn't kidding around when it said "feed me!" Usually an extra cup of herbal tea in the evening does the trick if I feel slightly hungry.

I already figured out why my stomach acted the way it did. It was the high caloric almond butter snack that I had I was just.... it would be nice to just have a high caloric snack for once... like almond butter or a scone/muffin from Starbucks while I'm losing weight. Unfortunately at the time I pre-planned my day, I certainly didn't know my stomach was going to act like this.

Usually when I'm at work (today was my day off), I have a low calorie breakfast (read: veggies and tofu), with several small caloric protein snacks divided up every 2 hours I'm at work (save lunchtime) so I don't get hungry. I then workout when I get home, and then after that, have dinner. I always have about 12 cups of tea/water/pelligrino a day... though I admit sometimes when I'm at work I have more than 12 cups due to the fact I'm on my feet all day.

Sigh. I do plan to go back tomorrow and do an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill (read: I usually do 45 minutes) and walk instead of taking the car to my neighborhood grocery store for this week's worth of groceries.

I've decided for the time being I'm going to ditch the almond butter and nuts since that's the only thing that makes me go crazy and want more. I actually have a bar of Lindt & Sprungli's 85% cocoa that's several weeks old because I make sure to only have 1 serving once a week as a special treat LOL.

I just... sigh, I just feel so damn disappointed with myself when I'm so close to my 100-lb finish line.
  • Forgive yourself. You ate a few extra servings of very reasonable foods. You have accomplished so much and WILL get to where you want!
  • come on an extra caloric snack after 95 lbs and u r crying !!!!!!!!
    maybe this extra snaack will save u from plauteing and prove to be a real pusher and u r going to do 20 mins extra exercise so i think it has proven to be a blessing in disguise and one more thing it wasnt a bagel filled with loads of butter n jelly or a whole pizza it was healthy so stop worrying and plan to celebrate ur 100 lbs ,get new batteries for ur camera, go shopping after all u do need extra energy for all this
  • So, you probably ate at your maintenance calories for one day instead of your losing calories. I think you'll live A big part of this journey is learnig to get up, dust yourself off, and move on, because, honey, we ALL mess up once in a while (or, if you're like me, more like once a day!) Like the wise chicks here say, this is a marathon, not a sprint--we're in it for the long haul. And look how far you've come already: you're down 95 pounds in less than a year, and look at the foods you overate with. I bet before you started your changed way of eating, it would have been something more like potato chips and chocolate (or any other number of evil foods ).
  • Ummm, helllooooo. GIVE THYSELF A BREAK, will ya? Come on. It was bound to happen, wasn't it? You have being doing FANTASTIC and then all of sudden you go over by a measly few hundred calories. So what of it? You are human.

I DO remember the first time that I went over my calorie budget. I was like, OMG, what have I done? Especially since I had been in SUCH control. I was more upset about the losing the control, then the actual calories eaten, which were minimal when looked at over the course of week. I'm supposing that's how you may be feeling as well. So, for me that was the worst part of it. I have since learned that these things will happen from time to time, certainly a lot more times since I'm in maintenance (a LOT). But we've learned such valuable tools along our journeys. We KNOW how to get right back on track - and that really is the key. One day of some extra calories is not what got us to be so heavy. It was many, MANY days of LOTS of unneeded calories that did it. So hop right back on the track today and you will be fine. Really.
  • Hey! That was really a great learning experience in disguise as a disaster. It wasn't a real disaster! You'll be OK--just get back on your program, and if you have to, remove the tempting foods temporarily. I have a problem with nuts myself, and usually I can control it by counting them out, but some days they are dangerous to have around. Same thing with nut butters--and yes, they are good food, but of course high in calories.

I try to substitute with other foods that are crunchy so I don't go wild with the nuts.

You'll hit that 100 pound mark... just stick with it... hang in there... Don't be mean to yourself!

Jay
  • Whoa, you are being way to hard on yourself! You've lost almost 100 pounds - the LAST thing you should be feeling is frustrated! You're a rock star!!

Going over by 600 once in a while is nothing. It's the caloric equivalent of less than 1/5 of a pound. If you don't allow a little wiggle room once in a while (I stress - once in a while!), you'll end up snapping and hoovering a whole box of cookies or something. Overly restrictive/rigid dieting often leads to bingeing, because we can't eat absolutely perfectly all the time. What's the point of getting all skinny and hot looking if you can't enjoy a favourite snack every now and then? Just plan for it the best you can, enjoy it, then move on and get back on program - no damage done.
  • Congrats on the 95 lbs first off! second, I would not beat myself up for having a tad more than ya should have, after all 95 lbs! I hope to be so lucky! I think You are ok, just let it go and stick to the plan, You are doing great.

As Ever
    Me
  • Let me get me get this straight....you have Lindt & Sprungli's chocolate in your cupboard on a regular basis and are so controlled that you only eat a square a week? And you've lost NINETY-FIVE POUNDS IN 8 MONTHS - an average of 11 pounds a month, or 2+ pounds a week according to my math?... That kind of success only happens for someone with the will of a tiger who is very controlled, calculated, and on plan. Your one 'slip up' is literally a speck of dust on the mirror of success you've built up around yourself. You are human. Love your life and forgive yourself. If a Starbuck's treat makes you happy once in awhile ~ I think you deserve it.
  • I agree 100% with strawberryeyes...great job so far! You will make your goal but you've got to remember perfection is a myth, so ease up on yourself!
  • You're doing so well and I agree with all the others -- you have to forgive yourself!

I have a secret for you: every single one of us slips up from time to time. Really. If there's anyone who doesn't, I'd love to hear about it!

So, this is completely natural and normal and doesn't necessarily signal the end of the world!! JayEll is right -- think of it as a learning experience!

Congrats on your great success so far!
  • Give yourself a break, we all mess up sometimes. It`s amazing how far you have came with your weightloss. It`s okay to indulge in a treat every now and then, that`s what makes us human...
  • I hope you look at this and rethink your perfectionism. This is a long term journey, and one 500 calorie snack is not going to cancel out all the work. In fact, you did the right thing by eating. You were hungry, your body was telling you it needed food.

This will not keep you from getting to 100 lbs lost, and in fact may help you.
  • Ohhhh my goodness, feel my ENVY!

I have spent weeks almost daily eating about 750 over cal allowance, then having to emply god knows what to make up for it. HOW can you only go over by 600 cals in a few months?

I almost fainted from admiration here, and actually need some Red Bull now. Please be kinder to yourself!
    xxx
  • i think you doing great....
    you did a wonderful job by losing 95 lb....
    don' blame yourself for the extra calories that you had...if you lost that much i'm sure you will find a way to lose the other 5 lb...
    michelle