Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5'6"

Default My first day here and this is my 4th thread... exercise tips?

I need some exercise tips...
I'm just a poor student... I can't afford a trainer!
I love working out... I just don't know what to do... I'm afraid that since I'm good at using weight machines I might be doing it wrong and adding bulk instead of making myself lean. How do they do it???
rockerinsideafatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

its a myth that you will add bulk instead of weight. My suggestion is this...if you are a student...do you have a campus gym???? if so go to it..and see if they can show you some of the machines. Next you need wt training in combo with exercise. Everyone will tell you something different...what i'm finding works for me is moderately intense weights while keeping the heart rate high. For instance i do some aerobics at the beginning, then i do weight lifting. I might do tricep pull downs and inbetween reps (to give my arms a break) i will do crunches or lower leg workouts. I have been working with a personal trainer and she has me doing this...keeps the hr high and helps burn fat. Also, check out the exercise forums...lots of good advice there....good luck
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Way to work the site!

First off, you're not going to add bulk. Period. It is almost impossible for a woman to do so with weight training. If you lift, you will tone your muscles and keep yourself lean, even if you lift heavy weights. Women just don't have the hormonal composition to bulk up like men. The bodybuilders you see are, almost without question, using some sort of chemical or hormone to allow themselves to bulk like that. Women's bodies don't bulk like that naturally. The concern with doing an exercise with poor form is injury. If you are worried, why not get a weight-lifting DVD and $25 of equipment from your local sporting goods store (maybe a resistance band, a big inflatable ball, and a pair of hand weights)? That'll be enough to get you started, and the video will help you with your form.

Second, anything that gets your heartrate up is good cardio. That means you can do whatever you enjoy! Work at a level where you can still talk, but can't sing - the perfect "target heart rate". Dance in your living room, go canoeing, go for a brisk walk, hula hoop...do whatever you enjoy that gets your heart rate to that level, and that is a great place to start.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

For sure, don't worry about bulking up! Ain't gonna happen Strength training is far, far better than doing nothing, so if weights are what you like, by all means do weights! Besides, the extra muscle increases your metabolism and you'll have a better time at losing weight.

Cardio on campus was always hard for me, though we had a gym and all. All those little gym bunny girls really freaked me out and I could never go into the big cardio rooms without having an anxiety attack. I just felt so out of place. I did, however, find that aquafit was an awesome way to get cardio in on campus (for free) -- see if your school's pool has some classes. Even if there are people who I didn't want to see me exercise, my body was underwater Besides, it was so much fun I stopped caring faster than I thought I would!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #5  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

LOL about college 'gym bunnies'. I totally know that feeling... I am a college student as well and I hated going to the gym on campus (when I lived on-campus) because it seemed like there were all these little tiny girls in pink velour sweatsuits, and then their companions... the popular jocks (at my school this would be lacrosse and baseball), and they seemed to spend more time trying to impress each other than actually working out.

I am a mess when I exercise-- frizzy hair, sweaty, and beet-red face. That's why I started walking outdoors for exercise... no one there to embarrass myself in front of. I think I am going to get some home workout equipment like hand weights, I already have an exercise ball. I need to tone up, bigtime!
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Bear in mind, everyone, that some of us gym bunnies used to be fat ourselves!!! Not everyone in shape has always been in shape, or is inclined to make negative judgments about overweight people at the gym.

Just something to keep in mind.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Talking Ball on a ball

When I first started in the gym, I'd look at myself sitting on an exercise ball and think that I looked like the drawing of a bunny I was taught as a kid: you draw one ball, then draw a ball on top of that. I was only missing the ears, LOL.

I learned a great deal from a couple of beginners books. My favorite was Weight Training for Dummies written by three women who make a lot of sense. Another was Gold's Gym beginners Guide to Fitness (used on Amazon right now for $0.25 plus $3.99 shipping). Your school library probably has a good selection of these or similar books. They all tend to strongly emphasize how to avoid injury.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #8  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I would say to start slow, something you can do and fit in on most days, like walking briskly for 30 minutes. Get something with a fast beat on your iPod and that's about it.

I also hated going to the gym in college, especially the school gym. Sometimes, there are gyms around the school that give decent student discounts, try and look for those.

And try weight lifting. It's fun, addictive, and you won't bulk up at all!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Another one to chime in that you won't "bulk up" from weight lifting. It's nearly impossible for women. Even if you want to build muscle, you have to focus on nutrition as well as lifting. It doesn't happen by accident.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #10  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
Bear in mind, everyone, that some of us gym bunnies used to be fat ourselves!!! Not everyone in shape has always been in shape, or is inclined to make negative judgments about overweight people at the gym.

Just something to keep in mind.
I didn't mean to make generalizations. I just noticed that a lot of the girls I saw at the college gym would lean on the handles of the cardio machines totally the entire time they worked out, talked on cell phones the entire time, or would flirt incessantly with the jock-type guys there (all of which I find annoying!).

I also think that a lot of the insecurity I feel about people judging me for being overweight, is more my anxiety about being the size I am, than other people's perceptions of me.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, it was just my observations.
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #11  

you guys are great.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #12  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Hey rocker..do you have an xbox or a playstation? I'm all about DDR for cardio, lol.

What I'm trying right now is doing 10 minute sessions after meals. They say exercise is cumulative, so working 10 minutes 3x a day is 30 minutes.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #13  

no... I dont have any game systems... my brother and I share an apartment, and he can't have one here or he won't study... lol
Today I did 2 mi on the eliptical and arms and back for about 10 min.
I think that is an ok one? I wanted to go longer but I had laundry to do...
TOMORROW!!! I am adding a 10 minute cooldown on the treadmill and ab workout.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

No offense taken, MissChris. I just wanted to remind everyone of the other side of the equation.

(That said, the cell phone jabbering and jock-flirting would drive me batty too. I'm faculty, and I choose NOT to work out at the free, brand-new, super-high tech fabulous college gym. I'm not self-conscious about my body or my workouts, but I don't want to be all sweaty and grunting over my squats while students are hanging around. )
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #15  
Old Cackler

rocker - from what i'm reading here, you have access to a gym [YAY!!!], but you seem to need a PLAN. in my gym, the membership comes with two 30-minute sessions with the trainer, but that's probably not the way it works in your gym. HOWEVER, maybe there's someone around there who could help you set up a routine? or, you could check out the EXERCISE and LADIES WHO LIFT forums for some ideas.

some folks do lower body one day and upper body the next, with a cardio every day. others do whole body workouts every other day. there are lots of great ideas, but the biggest thing to remember is that you need to be safe and not overdo!!!!

and don't give up!!!! when i first started at the gym, i was terrified, but everyone was nice and helpful [ok - there were a few of the gym bunnies around, but i ignored them!]. the first time i sat on a pilates ball, i had to hang onto a wall for dear life!

after about a year, i decided to try the elliptical. and fell off. but the good news is that i eventually managed to STAY ON IT!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote