what does it take to get things going?

• I thought I would post here because I feel extremely frustrated with where I am right now.

Over the past 2+ years I have tried a lot of things to lose weight... and really haven't had much success. The only times I have lost much more than a few pounds was when I was breastfeeding, and even then not that much.

The thing that always gets me down is that I just can't seem to get the scale to budge. I hear about people who can drop 5+ pounds on the first week of a diet... that has never happened to me. I can stay on plan for several weeks, and not see a loss, even in the beginning.

Currently, I am not following any diet plan, mostly because I am frustrated. But I am wondering, has anyone else not seen a loss in the beginning, or start out very slow?

I have such a hard time sticking something out when I feel like it's not working. I am just very discouraged.

I am early 20's, and have about 40-60 pounds to lose. I have not been heavy all my life. I did struggle with my weight in high school, then lost some weight, and kept it off for a while, then gained it all back plus some when I got pregnant, and haven't lost any since.
  • Hey piper129,

Sorry to hear about your frustration! You're not alone in feeling frustrated with the process.

People who experience a big drop the first week are sometimes having loss of water weight in addition to fat loss because of the shift in metabolism that can happen. It doesn't happen that way for everyone.

Can you tell us what sort of plan you've followed in the past? That might help us see what is going on.

Jay
  • I have tried Weight Watchers, and lost 6ish pounds, and then I just stopped losing, and I felt like I was wasting my money.

I have tried calorie counting, and had some success with that when I was breast feeding, and then no success with that after.

Those are the main two things I have tried.
  • Step one - have you gotten a checkup recently? There are some physical problems, like being on certain medications or having thyroid issues, that can make losing weight more difficult. Going in for a checkup is never a bad idea, and if you mention this issue to your doctor, he or she might be able to rule out a physical reason for the problem.

Step two - when you were calorie counting, how many calories were you eating in a day? What sorts of foods were you eating? Both plans you mentioned (WW and calorie counting) allow some of their points to be spent on junk foods, if you so choose. Some people lose best when eating "clean" - lean proteins, whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables. If you use calorie counting and WW points as a way to include junky foods in your diet, you might not lose as well.

Step 3 - Give things at least a month. Sometimes our bodies don't cooperate right away - you need to give things a chance to work!

Step 4 - Are you getting regular exercise? Some people lose best when they include exercise regularly, while others can sometimes lose on diet alone.
  • When I was calorie counting, I did use the calories on whatever I wanted, so not the most healthy really. I tried different ranges- usually around 1200-1500 or so.

I have been increasing my exercise- I know that I could a lot more, and I am working towards that, although it is a struggle.
  • HI PIPER!
    I had the exact same problem, my weight was up and down a few lbs, and the damn scale wouldn't stick to anything. I have been on here for 3 months and have finally lost 6 lbs. I am just focusing on the first 10 in order not to give up. The weeks that I worked out 3 times, was the weeks that made the difference, especially when the were in a row, like work out for 3x a week for 2-3 weeks consistantly. I think one will be easier for everyone, either working out or eating right, and that if you focus on your stronger part, maybe you will see results.
    It took me a month to see that 2nd and 3rd lb come off, but it did!
  • Quote: When I was calorie counting, I did use the calories on whatever I wanted, so not the most healthy really. I tried different ranges- usually around 1200-1500 or so.

I have been increasing my exercise- I know that I could a lot more, and I am working towards that, although it is a struggle.
    How strict were you with counting your calories? Did you measure/weigh everything? It's so easy to UNDER estimate what you're actually consuming. Maybe you should try really, REALLY monitoring your food intake for 2 - 3 weeks, measuring and writing down every little thing that you consume.

Adding even 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise can also do wonders for your weight loss and your overall health. I know it's a struggle, but a worthwhile one at that.

For me, weight loss could not occur until I seriously counted my calories, making those calories healthy ones AND added in daily activity/exercise.
  • You are not alone. I have a very difficult time losing weight. For me I know that my age my body has slowed down a bit.

After putzing around for years counting calories I came to this site. I have learned so much from the chicks on 3FC. One thing I learned is exaclty what Robin said. You have to count everything, eat clean, eat small meals several times a day and most of all keep at it.

At first I lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks. It was all in fits and starts. I would count strictly and not lose for three weeks, then bam! All of the sudden I would lose three pounds.

I have been stalled for the last three months. Now I am trying "calorie shifting" and ramping up the exercise. I will eat 1100 calories for three days then 1200 for three days then 1400 for three days then start the cycle over again. I will do this from now until Christmas and see what happens.

It is not easy. I have to write everying down that I eat. I have done this daily for the last five months.

The only alternative is to stay fat. That is NOT something I am willing to do.

You just have to keep at it over a long period of time to find what works.

I will say it again --it is not easy. But here at 3FC I found for the first time the help and support I need to keep at it and lose the weight and practice a healthier lifestyle.
  • Oh, yes. You can't just think about starting and getting things going, you have to do something you can STICK with. It's not easy and it's not quick, so you have to figure out a plan you can stick to!

The scale is just not always going to cooperate every week. Trust me.

So, you have to be able to look beyond the scale for motivation. Focus on staying on plan and finding other ways to measure your success -- your measurements, or how you fit in clothes, or how many days you exercise, or how much MORE you can do. The scale is just one way to measure progress!!