Help me stay away from the Cookies!

• My office is right next door to a kitchen, which is where a lot of the leftover cookies (a big weakness of mine, especially chocolate ones) from conferences/lunch meetings go! And I can't really change that. Today, I printed out a photo of the cookie monster & captioned it, "remember cookies are a sometimes food" and taped it to my monitor. And a picture of running shoes. I get the okay to jog on the treadmilll at 180 (a few foot problems have meant I'm not cleared for jogging until I get to 180, so I have to stick to lower impact exercise). I've researched my running shoe choice. Which I will be buying when I get to 185 in anticipation. I wrote "better than cookies!" on the photo and taped it to my monitor. I'm hoping these visual reminders will help remind me how my goals are more important and worthwhile than cookies. And how close I am to my jogging goal if I stay away from the cookies. I keep nuts/raisins in my desk & measure them out as snacks (along with fresh fruit) to keep full so I won't be tempted to binge on cookies. Any other suggestions?
  • Sounds like you have a pretty good plan already. Be sure to keep us posted on your success. Good luck!
  • Are the cookies put away? They should be. Think about all the viruses and germs that are on those things after they've been sitting out...

Jay
  • This happens at my office too. The leftover cookies from new hire orientation/conferences, etc, get's put on a table about 3 feet away from my desk at least once a week. I rarely eat them though because:

1. I don't let myself get that hungry, and I keep scheduled snacks around (yogurt at 10am, an apple at 2pm, etc).
    2. How disgusting is it for them to be sitting there all afternoon, with people rummaging through them!
    3. They're not actually that delicious. I mean, they're ok, but I'd rather not waste the calories on something that's just "ok."
    4. I know if I eat them, I'll feel gross and bloated afterwards (because I hear all of my coworkers who DID eat them groan and moan about how gross and bloated they feel!)

If you really love cookies, maybe you could try the 100 calorie packs of chips ahoy? But only if that wouldn't further entice you to eat more cookies. Personally, I'm better off staying away from something altogether than having a small taste.

Here's another idea: Can you make a rule for yourself to not go into the kitchen after a certain time? At my office, the cookies usually appear around 1pm, so could you do something like "I won't go into the kitchen after 1pm." Out of sight, out of mind!
  • Are those cookies store bought? Think about all the nasty preservatives and HFCS and stuff in them. Don't view them as real food!!! Home made cookies are a sometimes food, but the store bought ones I try to view as over processed junk.

I know I'm over generalizing here, but when I started on my journey I became super picky about what chemicals I was putting in my body and this really helped me to say no to stuff. When I'm tempted I go read the label and then that usually grosses me out enough to not eat it.

This may not be the best way for you, but I thought mentioning my method might be helpful.

BTW, I think it's awesome that you are viewing running as inspiration! It just shows that you have developed a healthy mentality and that's a big part of the battle! Keep up the good work!
  • Thanks for the responses. The cookies are from local bakeries/delis and the kitchen is also where the water cooler & refrigerator are. I managed to stay away from them today. Weirdly enough, I think the photos helped. Especially the running shoes. I'm 5 lbs away from being able to buy them, so why would I want to sabotage myself? Having the photo posted on my monitor kept reminding me better than the internal reminders.

I had errands to run after work, so I ended up eating some other left over food (1/2 a veggie wrap, salad w/balsamic vinegar I keep in my office to use instead of higher calorie dressing and fresh fruit) since I wasn't sure when I'd get time to eat dinner. I had to pass the cookies to get them, but I managed to control myself.
  • Honestly it helps me to gross myself out, after having bio classes I learned more about bacteria and with something like that I would just tell myself "ugh it's flu season and other people have touched those cookies, think how many germs are on them" Then anytime I saw them I would not want anything to do with them
  • Keep up that attitude!!!

Sounds to me like you have a very good strategy already. You put up visual reminders to stop you from eating the cookies, and a visual reminder of what you want, those shoes.

Only 5lbs!!! Almost there.
  • nylisa, sounds like you have a great plan! I love the cookie monster picture idea! I might have to try that at home.

I second all the suggestions to gross yourself out - it is flu season and... yuck.
  • I hear ya about the cookies! Im a CNA in a nursing home, and unfortunately I have a job where people show their appreciation for all we do in edible ways. I remembe when I was first dieting, there was an apple pie in the break room, I was shaking I wanted a piece so bad lol its kind of gross to think that food affects me like that, but it is an addiction.

I have basically given up sugar completely, because its easier for me to give it up, then to eat one here and there..but its still a job every day to say no.