3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Weird Side Affect (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/125329-weird-side-affect.html)

CherryBlossom 10-19-2007 06:11 PM

Weird Side Affect

Hello everyone.

I'm starting to get out of my terribly unhealthy of drinking about 3 sodas a day. That's literally all I would drink, so I'm sure I was dehydrated.

Now that I'm starting to drink 8 glasses of water a day (it's been about a week doing it regularly) I wake up with extreme cotton mouth. My dental routine hasn't changed, my diet hasn't changed. Why would my mouth be dry in the morning now that I'm finally getting enough water?

And I guess because of that my breath has not been nice either. :o I can brush for a long time, use Listerine, and I still have to pop Altoids all the time.

Ahh why is my body punishing me for giving it what it needs.

goinforthegold 10-19-2007 06:57 PM

3 sodas a day? Ugh, I'd love to get DOWN TO 3 a day.

A few years ago I gave it up completely and switched to water. I was drinking like 4 liters a day and found that the more I drank, the more I craved it. If I went a few hours for whatever reason without drinking it, I'd be practically dying of thirst. I don't remember having the cotton mouth in the am like you described though.

JayEll 10-19-2007 08:09 PM

People are usually thirsty in the morning--I guess I'd say, welcome to normal! ;) As for the breath, that can sometimes be a result of reducing calories.

Drink a glass of water right before bed--it may help!

Jay

godsgirltmm 10-20-2007 03:26 PM

Yeah, I have the same thing. I think if your eating plan is low in carbs (mine is low carb, not cutting them out altogether, but cutting back) it causes this.

Here's a quote from an article I found...

"Unfortunately, while we try and get our body in shape on a low carb diet, our breath and general body odour is likely to suffer big time! This is due to the body producing molecules refered to as ketones. They're used to fuel parts of the body that would normally be fuelled by simple carbohydrates, such as glucose."

If you want to read the entire article you can find it here: http://www.carbohydrate-counter.org/bad-breath/

HarpoChicoGroucho 10-21-2007 08:27 PM

Have you started a new prescription? Dry mouth is a common side effect for many drugs. Even some OTC drugs do it for me too.

Lainey2 10-22-2007 12:51 PM

This same thing happens to me, (cotton mouth) and I read somewhere that you should actually wake up thirsty in the morning. It's a sign that your body is wanting what it needs. Also, try eating raw parsley on stuff if you like it. That is really good for breath control. The italian flat leaf kind is very tasty!

Beach Patrol 10-22-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinforthegold (Post 1898739)
A few years ago I gave it up completely and switched to water. I was drinking like 4 liters a day and found that the more I drank, the more I craved it. If I went a few hours for whatever reason without drinking it, I'd be practically dying of thirst.

Same here. I take my water bottle with me EVERYWHERE I go. I keep it beside me at all times, & often wake up in the middle of the night to take a good long drink.

All I can tell you is that exact thing: "The more I drink, the more I want to drink." I used to drink only water - but now I do have my morning coffee, and usually one soda per day (mostly for the caffeine... I'm soooo tired!!!!! [due to medication]) and sometimes a glass of tea with dinner - but otherwise, I'm a total water-aholic. :^:

Erika79 10-22-2007 01:45 PM

That sounds very normal to me!!! :dizzy: (well, not sure about the breath part... talking about cotton- mouth). Even when I wasn't losing weight and eating crap, I STILL had water to drink all day.. it's my only beverage, it's really all I ever had to drink (with a rare soda).. grew up drinking water and always have, so it's the norm for me. And I always have cotton-mouth when I wake! I keep a water bottle next to my bed.. I thought everyone woke up like that LOL

Trastull 10-22-2007 06:43 PM

Same here

I thought everyone was the same also. I know my cotton mouth is from breathing through my mouth when I sleep.