3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Stay At Home Mom's #25 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/12317-stay-home-moms-25-a.html)

ECmom 01-06-2002 10:34 PM

Stay At Home Mom's #25

Stay At Home Mom's #25
Welcome all newcomers and friends! This is a thread full of laughter, friendship and encouragement, as we share our lives and the ups & downs of raising a family. Feel free to join us. We look forward to getting to know each other better.
Be sure to go back to SAHM's #24to catch up with the latest on what has been going on in everyone's lives during the past week or so.
Ginny

ECmom 01-06-2002 11:05 PM

Hi!
Congrats Spryng on your weight loss! I hope that the shower goes well for you (a lot of work) and I would probably do the same thing as you did eat light for a day or two so that I could relax a bit at the shower. How many people are expected to show?

Jackie and Misti- I hope that you are feeling better!!!!

Janeane-I did the same thing with the potty training and new undies! My son was hysterical- we had to order his character "big boy pants" from the Hanes catalog (hard to find in the store) and the day that they came he ripped the package open- saw his much coveted Teenage Ninja Turtle undies and screamed "take this diaper off"! That was the end of Ds and diapers. Sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about the stomach reduction surgery. But it is great for you that you are able to lose without such a drastic means! I hope too that your sister is sensitive to how you feel. You are doing this alone, long term the much better path, because you are learning to eat better by yourself (and learning about yourself that way too) as opposed to a quick fix. (I am not trying to take anything away from someone who went for/goes for the surgery- and if there are health issues it is a blessing that the surgery is an option!)
We love you here, as I am sure that your sister does too!!!!!

Well, I did get a nice walk in today! (the first full length walk in a few days). My eating was strange- I did very well thru this afternoon and then had some cookies
:( , but all I had for dinner was veggies (salad and tomato juice) so I hope that I redeemed myself!!!
It looks as though tomorrow the kiddies will be home (it is snowing!). I went to the evening service at church - when we left it was fine and an hour later over an inch had fallen! I love snow and winter. (just do not like that Dh has to go to work tomorrow in it!).
I think I need some sleep. Have a great nite! See ya tomorrow!
Ginny

skimom 01-06-2002 11:20 PM

Hi gals

Oh my both you gals down with the flu... how are you doing dears? Take it slow in your intake of food, just keep the fluids coming, and send me a kiss thru' email so I can get it too, just kidding.

Ginny, my sister is a wonderful woman, but it's either all or nothing in her world. I love her dearly, but have tried to learn from her experience, that's the blessing of being a younger sister. I know that the DS was the quick fix for her, and probably the only way she could get the results that were needed. Like I said, I hope that it is a positive experience for all of us involved. My brother is coming the same weekend, and he is a 6'7" / 400# guy, hopefully he will be able to compare our two methods and have 'food for thought'.

It snowed 6" last night and we decided to go skiing this am, took one run and it started to rain, the wonderful powder turned to concrete, and my knee was singing big time. It was a wonderful workout :lol: and will count it as 30 min 'hard labor'. I just can't wait to ski without all the extra bulk, it will make it so much easier.

Have a wonderful night girls, :dizzy:

Freckles 01-07-2002 01:12 AM

I'm feeling better!

I have an occaisional headache now & then, but for the most part, feeling lots better! Now......if I could only get to sleep! :eek: With DH snoring & all my rest that I got yesterday & this a.m., I can't sleep! I think that I'll try the couch & put the t.v. on sleep timer. :yawn: Catch you all in the late morning/early afternoon. **Jackie**

ECmom 01-07-2002 06:24 AM

Good morning!!!
Jackie, glad that you are feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!
Skimom- your snow sounds just like what we got. Sooooooooo pretty! My kids have a 2hour delay for school, except for Dd (6) whose school is cancelled when there is a 2 hour delay (kindergarten is half day).
Nothing else to chat about yet! I just came online to see the school closings.
Have a great morning!
Ginny

holymoly 01-07-2002 10:10 AM

An introduction.....

Hi, all,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I've posted on another thread a couple of times, but I've never posted here before. I've been reading different areas, and since I'm a stay-at-home mom, I thought this one would be good for me. First of all, I'm looking to loose about 60 lbs.(i was at 210, after just recently gaining 5 lbs.but I lost the five again, and am at 205) , I just turned 35 on the 3rd of Jan., I'm 5'9", a christian, happily married to my sweetie for 16 yrs., and have two teenage girls and a 10 yr. old son. It was the grace of God, plus intense therapy and medication that got me through years of depression and anxiety. Now its time to go on with my life.
I have no diet plan ideas whatsoever, and am trying to get started with this whole thing. There are a lot of obese people in my family, and I didn't have a lot of problems with weight till I got to the 30 yr old mark, then it went to you-know-where in a handbasket. I am finally willing to do something about it, but I need a whole bunch of help. Our family moved to Indiana from Oklahoma last year, and I'm not exactly the most sociable person, so I don't know a lot of people yet. (actually, we've spent so much time on home repairs and remodeling, I haven't had a lot of time to do much of anything.)
So I am mostly looking for a group who will give me an atta-girl when I do good, and a good rear-kicking when I screw up, plus I would be grateful for any advice I could get on diet drugs, beginning exercise plans, and how to tolerate teenagers.
I hope I didn't bore ya too much. Everyone have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!

Misti 01-07-2002 11:51 AM

Good Afternoon

Well I'm feeling a little better today girls, thanks so much for all the get wells you gals are the best! I'm doing well with my diet still, considering the flu kept me from eatting much. My next weigh in isn't until Wed and at my last one I was 4 pounds away from my first goal. I have a good feeling I will have met my goal by then. Welcome holymoly! This is the best thread! These girls are so supportive and always have good advice. I can relate to your battles with depression and anxiety also so i might have a few tips to help get you started. You can ask me anything and I will do my best to help. I should say my depression was postpartom and I have suffered from anxiey for 11 years. I now you wil ind great support here and some very wonderful women. I couldn't make it with out them. Spryng, I hope your shower went well. are you still taking the ckallenge? I'm so excited to know. I've been thinking about being a copycat and trying it. I have this great dress I want to wear for Valentines Day. Maybe it could help me get in to it. Get well wishes to you Freckles! Hope you are pulling through well! EC mom hope you get to enjoy the time with your kids today. And skimom hope your knee isn't still screaming at you. Sorry I'm so long with my post but I wanted to catch up with all of you. Everyone stay warm and healthy! Misti

Freckles 01-07-2002 04:16 PM

Good Afternoon!

Well, I'm just about back to my "old" self again! Thank you all for the get well wishes. :angel: It's much appreciated!
Misti: Please forgive me for not wishing you the same. I guess I was too caught up in my own little "pitty party". I'm not sure if I did a formal "welcome" for you either, but I'm sure you know by now that I'm happy that you joined us! You have fit in perfectly here! And for the long.....post, YOU HAVEN'T SEEN NOTHING YET! Just wait 'til you REALLY get to know Ginny & I. ;) It looks as though you are really on a roll with the weight loss. Can you send some motivation my way? I'm going to give it a few more days of being "low key" & then I'm going to start peddalin' away! WELCOME HOLYMOLY! I'm glad that you picked our thread to join. I'll be here to "cheer" you on & give you encouragement, but I'm not sure about the kick in the butt part. We're here to build each other up (in spirits, that is!), and not in tearing each other down. (Unless we're able to drag a few pounds off of you) ;) You & I have about the same goal for the amount of weight that we would like to lose. I have lost some of it in the past year, but I also have a long.....way to go. :eek: As for anxiety & depression--I've been there & done that kind of thingy too! I'm on Wellbutrin, a mild anxiety/anti depressant. If I don't faithfully take my meds, it's like having PMS 24/7 for as long as I'm not on them. You've come to the right thread, as I have figured out that anxiety/depression & weight problems all go together & the majority of us here are in the same boat. It is so nice to be able to vent when need be & to get the much needed support that follows. For the diet & exercise part, I'm not sure if you have any restrictions. What works out best for me is the Weight Watchers Program & an exercise routine. I lost 20# in the past year (unfortunately, I gained 10# back over the summer.) The way that I did it was followed my WW points, to give me more points to work with @ dinner time, I'd have a Slim Fast Shake for breakfast, a WW Frozen Dinner for lunch & then a well-balanced dinner with my family. I also faithfully exercised at least 3-5 times per week. Boy, now I know how the weight came back on!:o As long as I followed this plan, I was successful. I know each one of us is different, so I'm not sure on what will work out best for you. If you haven't exercised in awhile, maybe check with your Dr. first to make sure that he/she gives you the okay to go ahead. I'm not a physician, but for the most part, everyone is usually quite successful to start out by walking 10 minutes per day & gradually increase your time until you are satisfied with the amount. I've read plenty of articles & most of them suggest to work up to 20-30 min. p/day 3-5 times per week. I've got Plantar Facia, so I pedal on a stationary recumbent bike instead. As for the advice on teenagers...my oldest just turned 13, so I'm just starting in that field. (I guess you'll have to ask Ginny!) Oh! by the way....I have 2 children Kevin is 13 & Kaitlyn is 8 (going on 16!) I've been married for 17 years & we also have a cat named "Klarabelle". Oh! One last thing: A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Well, I guess I'd better close for now. I have to go pick up DD from school.
Misty: If you're still here reading my post, I think you'll figure out what I was talking about in the beginning! Until later, take care everyone! **Jackie**

cdm1974 01-07-2002 05:43 PM

hell- looking for support

Hi everyone
I am also a "stay at home" mom. I have 2 girls - 4 yrs and 6 months. They keep me pretty busy but not busy enough to keep me from "over snacking". I weight 225 and I need to loose at least 50 lbs. I am to the point I would be happy with getting to the 200 marker on my scale. I guess "baby steps"!! Today is my "kick off" and I have already seen that I will need to do something to get past 3pm with out a snack. My lunch (saled) was not enough to hold me over til dinner. I was looking for a snack and we have nothing healty. I will have to take a trip to the store for some quick fix snacks besides cookies and candy!! I would love some support from other stay at home moms.
Hope to talk to you soon.

cdm1974 01-07-2002 05:48 PM

previous post

oops!!!
sorry about that previous post.
The subject was supposed to say "Hello" not "****" - Hope I did'nt offend anyone.:o

ECmom 01-07-2002 10:29 PM

Good evening!!!!!!:)
Welcome Holymoly and CDM!!!!!!!! Great to see both of you here!!!! Most times I would do an individual welcome, but tonite i am pressed for time. I think that it is great that both of you are looking for interim weights- (not just looking at losing 100 # in a lump sum, for example). Weight watchers uses the 10% calculation (am I right there, Jackie?)- where they set your first goal to lose 10% of your weight- pretty much promising that if you are able to do that you will feel better, of course look better, and be off to a good start. It also is much more manageble than looking at a whole big sum!!!!! I started my journey over 2 years ago at 183# and with a lot of ups and downs am at 160 now (I put on 2 pounds at the end of the holidays). Final goal for me is around 130- 135, which would have seem insurmountable from 183! But now from the still blimpish 160, it seems remotely possible. So, try that approach. And yes, for me I feel better!!!!
Glad to see both of you here. BTW, I am a Christian, mother of 3 (DD 15, wanna chat about teens???, Ds 12 and Dd 6). We live in southern New York state in a rural county. I am on weight watchers (I bought the materials on ebay, as I do not have the time or the money for the meetings), and basically use this thread as my support group. Jackie (thanks, Jackie!) is my sounding board with WW questions, as she has been thru the program recently.

Jackie- I am so happy that you are feeling better!!!!!! One thing I must share with everyone about Jackie. A happy, healthy Jackie post is kind of like the sun shining right at you thru the computer screen. :D It is great that you are back to normal. How is the new recumbant bike?

Misti- I am glad that you are feeling better!!!!! No problem with the long posts- we all need to vent and besides I feel closer to each of you when the posts are a bit longer. There are days when a short post is all you can do, but times when longer posts do fine. With each of us being home with our families, we can get lonely at times- or just need to vent some of that stress of being home with our beloved families.

As for me, I made a great snowman with Dd (6) and a buddy of hers. This was a wet snow,so sledding was not great. I suppose we have about 8" of the white stuff, and it is still gently falling. I think after I sign off I am going out for a quick walk. It is just so peaceful and pretty!!!!!!!

On that happy note, I had better go. I have a busy day tomorrow and will be lucky if I can squeeze a post in. Have a great day!!!!!
Ginny

Misti 01-07-2002 11:18 PM

Good Night!

Hey just a quick note, did you all know about this fitday.com? It is really neat. If you get time, check it out.

Freckles 01-07-2002 11:39 PM

Misti:

I took a peek @ www.fitday.com & bookmarked it. Thanks, I need to start Journaling & I think I'm going to try this one. I don't think that 3FC's has one, do they? Oh! Ginny: 10% sounds right to me too! Well, ds is sick & needs my assistance. See yah all tomorrow! Oh! One more thing....Welcome,CDM1974 I didn't even notice your typo until you mentioned it! I'll do a better greeting/welcome later. Take Care! **Jackie** :wave:

holymoly 01-08-2002 07:18 AM

Good morning, everyone,

Since I got such a warm and wonderful welcome, let me extend the same to CDM!!!! Welcome to the best site on the net for the support we all need for our journeys.!!!!!
I'm also at the beginning of my long journey (and I get the idea it might just be ****, lol) So I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes I think the stay at home thing makes it a little more difficult, especially for those of you with small children. I remember those days, and it was so difficult to get out, or do anything for yourself. And I too will have to start with baby steps. I got such wonderful advice from Freckles (so a big thanks!!) Also a big, giant thanks to all the ladies on this thread, cause I can be assured of a smile every day, just from reading posts. Misti, I may have a few questions for ya later. Be warned.
I am the worlds worst about trying to start too big, and not lasting very long because of it. Like the last time I got a wild hair about loosing a few lbs., I bought an exercise tape (more like the floor exercise type, not aerobics, since I have no discernable rhythm on those kinds of moves) and I worked on it for as long as I could stand to. But I was so out of shape, that I couldn't walk for a few days afterward and was not inclined to continue. I also have a history of wanting to loose so much weight that it seems impossible, but I did learn throught this thread that losing even a small amount of weight is a good thing. I'm shooting for 200 cause I think if I can get below that point, I'll have the shot in the arm I need to keep going. Then I'll try 10 lb. increments from there on. My shrink told me a long time ago to just take things a little at a time, since I stress so easily.
Well, If I don't quit, this will be more of a novel than a post, so I'll see y'all this afternoon. Or later this morning. I think I got too much time on my hands at times. Oh well. Take care, all, and God bless!!!!!!

spryng 01-08-2002 10:34 AM

Hey every one! I can't believe it's been so long since I posted. It took me about 30 minuted to catch up on all the other posts here!! But I'm back! With the bridal shower and everything I have been busy! :) But thankfully it's over. It went really well and I did good on my cals that day. Everyone loved the games I put together and had alot of fun.
Welcome CDM and Holymoly! I feel like old friends already! I have only been part of this group for about 4 weeks now I guess (has it even been that long??) and I haven't strayed anywhere else. This is my second home. But if you are looking for a butt kicking when you cheat or do something wrong on a diet you won't get it here. I know. I polished off a bag of pizza rolls a week ago and thought I would get a good lecture from these girls yet all they did was tell me nice things about myself!!! I think that worked better than anything. Everyone here is so nice and encouraging. Right now I'm on the kellogs challenge. You know the commercial. Have a bowl of special K for breakfast and lunch and then a healthy dinner? (I have Healthy Choice dinners) and it's working for me. The last two days though I haven't had the cereal. I'm out of milk and haven't went to the store. So instead I have two pieces of toast (90 cals) for lunch and breakfast. Until I get milk. yesterday I ended the day at 620 cal.
Oh! I tried my dress on for the wedding (I'm matron of honor) and guess what!! The skirt was too big!! That was nice. But the bodice was tight. Not too tight. It actually is suppose to be tight. So I figure I have to be very careful with my weight because even a one lb gain could make me not be able to zip it up. So I figure if I lose 2-3 more lbs before it gets here (1 1/2 weeks away!!) I'll be just fine.
How's everyone else doing? Getting better? I hope so.
Well I'll probably post again later. I hear the kids waking up. They slept in this morning! It's 9:34 here!! That's great.
Have a great day everyone!!

Misti 01-08-2002 11:48 AM

Hi!!!!!!

Hope you all are having a great day! My usually terrific two year old has decided to be a terrible two year old today. My hands are full. I finally got them down for a nap! Oh how sweet when they sleep. Well congrat's with your dress there Spryng! I'm glad to hear your shower went good! The potty training is going very well. I'm doing all liquids today. I still have some of the virus. But I am feeling more like my old self again. Welcome CMD1974! I hope you find the support you need here. That's all for now! I'll probably post again later.

ECmom 01-08-2002 12:04 PM

Hi!
Glad to see that most everyone has had a chance to check in and say hello. I am going to print the posts and read later.
See ya later!!!!! Have a great day! (off to a good start with my eating- got a great late nite walk in last nite in the sparkling snow)
Ginny

Freckles 01-08-2002 02:27 PM

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd take time out of my busy schedule to drop you all a line or two or three......or whatever it turns out to be! I guess this is one way to keep myself accountable. I'd lie if I told you all that I've been a good girl. Unfortunately, I got into the chocolate this a.m. & ate 3 pieces! Maybe with all the running around that I'm doing, it will just melt off of me. :lol: Oh!, how I wish! The rest of the day I've been pretty good. I guess the guilt got thru to me. Holymoly: I'm glad that you appreciated my advice. I'm sure a lot of it you knew & like me, just needed a reminder. I forgot to tell you one of the most important parts of my success in losing the 20#. Drink your water! 6-8 8 oz. glasses p/day I also try to lose weight in incraments of l0#. It's so much more rewarding. For each 10# that I lost, I would do something special for myself. The first l0# was a bunch of clothes on the clearance rack. For the next 10#, it was a months worth of tanning. Well, 10 of the 20# are back on again, so I get to start over with the same 10# again! Wish me luck!~ So, I'll join you with "Baby Steps".

To all of you: Another thing that I did last year was for each 5# I'd lose, I'd put a 5# bag of flour/sugar, etc in a grocery bag. It was kind of funny but, it was hard to lift the bag after 20# was in it! This was rewarding enough for me to actually physically & visually see what I had lost. And I was carrying around this extra weight on me? And to think...I have 40-50# of it left on me! It might sound crazy, but another thing that I did was take one of the 5# bags & put it next to different parts of my body & then imagine the extra bulge I may have had. Spryng: Glad to hear that the shower went well & also that the skirt to the bridal gown fits "loose"! Good for you!! ;) You go girl! Just promise one thing though, you'll add a few more calories to your plan after the wedding. I also was wondering on how the Kelloggs challenge worked. I may try it for a few days, or at least add more fiber to my diet. I was just reading in a magazine that if you just increase your fiber & do nothing else, you'll be able to lose weight. I know I'm guilty of not getting enough fiber, so I'll try & force it down my throat! Misti: Hope that you are coping with your "terrrible two" & that things are going more smoothly for you. If not...maybe try picking her up & dance with her to some great music. It worked just about everytime when my kids were that age. It doesn't work as well now anymore, they're too big or they don't care for my music! I do know for sure though, that music is good therapy. I remember when I used to work in a Nursing Home & the OT's would come once a week & have a music hour & boy did that lift their spirits! Everytime I hear "You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine" it brings back the memories & I get tears in my eyes! Well, Ginny: As you can see....I'm back to my chipper self again! DH & DS are not doing to great though. DS is home with me today & my poor DH is driving back home (5 hour drive), with the flu! I also wanted to thank you again for keeping the thread going during the holiday season & when I was under the weather. Without your constant postings, I do believe that our thread would have fallen apart. (Especially the days when you were posting & answering yourself, when no one else came on to post!) It really paid off, so thanks a million!!

I feel so happy that our thread is booming & we have all these SAHM's to support one another! I definitely need the support this time around. I have to figure out an incentive to keep me going though. Last year I had 2. The first one was getting trim for Hawaii & the other was trying to be 140# before the BIG "40"! I guess the best incentive I can think of is to lose the weight & then flaunt it in front of my DM! I am so sick of her picking on my "flaws"! I could tell you all some real doozers, but that would be another chapter to my book! ;) Well, I guess I'll end for now & get back to work. See yah all later!

**Jackie** :wave:

cdm1974 01-08-2002 03:53 PM

Hi everyone

Hi - Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Well today is day two and so far so good. I was able to go to the YWCA and walk the track last night for about 45 min. and then this AM I went back when I took my daughter to preschool. They have such a nice facility and It is a good program for anyone with babies because you can have them right with you in their stroller. Mine naps while I push her around the track. Thanks for telling about the FitDay.com It was just what I was looking for as a way to keep track of my food intake, and the Charts are neat. any suggestions for some yummy snacks to have on hand? Afternoons are going to be hard for me I can tell! The baby takes a nap and I finally get a chance to sit down and relax a little - and what do I wanna do but snack!!
Have a good evening!

spryng 01-08-2002 04:19 PM

Hello everyone! The kids are down for thier nap so I have a couple of hours to myself. I really need to be cleaning my kitchen and folding laundry but I rather be here with you. My mom-in-law is coming down again tomorrow (this is the 5th visit in 1 1/2 months!!!!:( ) I have to tell you. We don't get along that great and I'm tired of her suprise visits. She lives four hours away. But I guess I'll deal. I just really have a hard time sticking to a diet when she's around. Like I said before she's 300+ lbs and really in need of losing weight. She won't diet though. Doesn't have an inch of will power. So she was thinking about having stomach surgery but when I did some research on it I really think she should just try dieting. Their are so many complications from that. Plus in the end you must count your calories and fat intake and small portions. So you are still dieting for the rest of your life. Might as well just diet to begin with.
Anyway, enough about that.
CDM what type of diet are you on? When my kids nap and I start to relax I want to snack too. especially when I'm on the computer. I use to eat whole bags of chips and such while online. But now I don't. Instead I keep my mind or my hands busy. I answer all my emails and do whatever else I have to do ( I have an online store so i keep tabs on it. Check it out if you like http://spryngs.iwonstores.com/ ) Then I get off and do something good. Like clean or nap or just read a book. I'm used to it now. But if I really want a snack I just make sure it's a good one. One that I can include in my diet.
Jackie I do promise to increase my calories after the wedding. In fact I think I may take some time off of dieting all togather. I may just maintain for a week or two before I try losing the rest for summer. My initial goal is 130, which I'm only 7 lbs away from but my long term goal is 125. I want to be 125 by this spring. Bathing suit season. last year my bathing suit was a size 16. But this year I'll be a 10!!! (I will be a size 8 but they say buy a bathing suit a size larger) I would have gone down 6 sizes!!! I'm so excited!! I just went into a size 10. That was a wonderful day. I really feel like a new person. And for info on the kellogs challenge. It's not like a diet diet. The commercial just said to eat kellogs special K or their bran cereal for two meals a day for two weeks and they guarentee you'll lose weight. I have it for breakfast and lunch and then have a healthy choice for dinner. I lost two lbs in two days. Not bad huh? of course my calories were like 400-500. Very low. So unless you want to lose fast then for your dinner meal have a nice sized meal. You will still lose. Let me know if you do try it! :)
Holymoly did you say you were from oklahoma? or was that CDM? I live in oklahoma that's why I ask. I was wondering where it was you use to live? I live in a small town called Gans. I'm about 10 miles from the border of Arkansas, the town of Fort Smith. Heard of it??
I'm so impressed with these posts! We hit page two in one day anymore! I was beginning to wonder. I joined right before christmas and nobody was posting really except me and ginny. SO it's great to see so many here!! Talk to you guys later!!

ECmom 01-08-2002 05:11 PM

Hi!!!!!
First of all- this is odd me that I am even on the computer at this hour. Usually, Dd aka known as the family computer hog has it and is instant messenging with 50 million buddies.....or waiting for her boyfriend to show up online. So I have a few minutes to myself-I made dinner last nite (soup) and the rest went in the crock pot this morning. Ds is at basketball practice and Dd is at a buddies house playing in the snow. So here I am!!!!!!! And it is not even 11 pm yet!!!!!!:D

Spryng- welcome back!!!!! I am glad that the shower was a success. Jackie kins of stole my thunder, because when I read your post before, I was hoping to suggest some sort of action plan so that you can live with being thinner and not depriving yourself all the time. I agree that taking a week off might be a good idea (we will all be here to reinspire you!!) You might try getting a weight watchers book or something like that to help you put eating back in perspective. For me that is tough- finding balance. And you have done sooooo well (congrats on the dress fitting!!!!!!) - it is to your benefit to keep it off. And I sympathize with the MIL stories. Mine is a winner too, our relationship is ok, but I really must keep her at arms lenght. Take a deep breath, get out for a lot of walks if she drives you really kooky
:dizzy: ! Better yet, we can give her the address of my MIL and they can drive each other kooky!!!!

CDM- great job on getting in a workout!!!!!! That really helps you feel better and burns off some of the mommy stress that we accumulate. Your family is young- so there are probably many times that it seems that you can't even think without someone crying for you!! Enjoy the Y! As for snacks, I have a few that I do well with. Low cal hot chocolate, pretzels, a cup of cereal (dry- even the sweetened kind), diet yogurt (yum!), a box of raisins, or even one of the snack sized bags of M&M's are among my favorites. I usually tend to stay away from the candy- but one of the small snack sized M&M bags is only 3 (if my memory serves me right) points. Most of the other snacks (except the pretzels) are 2 points (I think). That is what I like about Weight watchers is that I know what I am dealing with no matter what kind of food.
One day I had a donut- knowing full well that it was 6 points and made up for it with a really healthy lite dinner. Good luck!!!!! You will find something that works for you!

Jackie!!! Stealing my thunder again!!!! I was all ready to go into the water lecture too!!:lol: Well, one thing that I can add is a gimic that I use to make sure that my water intake is good. (and water is key for me to lose!). I have certain times of day/activities that I insist that I have water with. I get up each morning, take my medication and a big glass of water. same with when I sit down to the computer- another glass of water. Same with before I walk, and then when I get home. And I have a glass of water right before I make a meal for the family.........needless to say I drink a lot of it! Whatever works for you- but these silly rituals keep me hydrared. I hope, Jackie that your son is feeling better, and Dh too!!!!!!! Men make such lousy patients. And I am thrilled :D to see the old Jackie back!!!!! Maybe you can make up for the nasty chocolate with a high quality dinner. And some time on the recumbinant bike.\
Misti and Holymoly-- sorry I am running out of time. Gotta get dinner on!!!!! I will check out fitday.com later and see what that is all about. In terms of the anxiety/depression my sister is on meds for that, and I know what she goes thru. It is a struggle.
But we are encouragers here- we won't pick on you (unless you ask us to!) . Life is just too short to be negative. It is far better to build each other up!
Gotta go set the table and rescue Dd fromthe snow.
See ya later!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I will, the ever obsessive me, start a new thread if noone minds!)
Ginny

spryng 01-08-2002 05:58 PM

Hi Ginny! You always make me laugh! :lol: lets definitely get out MIL together so they'll leave us alone!! Joe and I have been married for almost 4 years and when we first got married I really liked his mom. But since the kids were born that changed alot. I mean i still like her but she irritates me to no end. Too old fashioned for my blood. We are very different people. I was raised with parents who went through the 60's and 70's. You know free love and all that. They were very lenient when it came to food we ate and such. Joe's parents are older then mine and they only listen to 50's music anything with the least amount of guitar in it is considered "jungle bunny" music. Whatever that means. My dad played bass in a heavy metal band. needless to say they are total opposites. So when I had Ava, my first born. We clashed on child rearing. She would do things behind my back that I didn't approve of (like feed her a whole smashed banana at 2 months when she wasn't even nibbling on cereal!) It made her very sick. Well, this could take all night to explain. but I think you see the picture. In a few words....she doesn't respect my parenting. I'm 21 years old and she feels like I am a child raising two children in the dark. Understand? It makes me crazy. They don't visit much. Once every few months or so but this last two months I've seen them 5 times already!! It stresses me out and then it's hard to not over eat. I can't get out and take a walk like I would like to when their around because they may do something to my house while I'm gone. It's crazy. Really crazy. But thanks for the encouragement!
I should buy a low cal recipe book. That's why I eat so much healthy choice meals. I haven't learned to cook low cal. Plus it's hard on my kids. My daughter is 2 and weighs 18 lbs. So she is very underweight for her age. if her doctor found out I was feeding her low fat stuff he would not be happy. In fact I'm told to feed her ice cream after every meal if she wants it to encourage her to gain weight. So what I usually do is make them something for dinner (hamburger helper, etc.) with vegtables and bread and then I cook a HC for me. Then I'm not tempted to eat their food. But if you guys have any suggestions on a family meal I can eat too then I'm all for it. It would be nice to cook for myself again.
Well, I guess I should go!

Misti 01-08-2002 07:18 PM

Hi! Thanks Jackie for the advice with the 2 year old worked like a charm! In no time I had a terrific 2 year old again! We do a craft every afternoon and I was worried the crankiness would ruin everything. But all went smoothly, thanks again! I'm glad you all are checking out the fitday site. It is amazing! I'm really getting alot of use out of it. I have one of those MIL also girls, let me know where you are sending yours and mine will be on her way! Good luck Spryng, I always stress eat when mine is in for a visit also. My favorite snack is popcorn, no butter and alittle low salt and pepper too! I still pop mine on the stove and use cooking spray sometimes butter flavored. I'm also intersted in a site or book with low cal meals. I haven't ate the same meal as my family in months, it would be a nice change. I did liquids today, and to my suprise I still had 1750 cals! It's unbelievable how many cals are in fruit juice. I had a great work out today and am really begining to feel good. Tomorrow is weigh in for me, I had thought I might meet my first goal but I am begining to have doubts since I realized how many cals I was still having and not excerising. I won't be disappointed though. At least I hope not! Well good night all!

ECmom 01-08-2002 10:13 PM

Hi! Just me the ever obsessive one again!!!!!
Now just to finish up where I left off before-

Misti- sounds like you are on the right track there. You are so right about juice being high in calories. Good that you are looking- checking up on what you consume to see where you can cut. (I usually do not drink juice, because of its calories. I would rather have calories or points on something I really want instead! sort of like those M&M's............:lol: ) I still do the music thing with my kids. I will use classical for homework or when I need the gang to calm down a bit. Glad that Jackies tip worked for you. A crabby 2 year old is a tough customer! And as far as MIL goes, well how about we set up a central meeting location- send all of our MIL's there, and then we can leave them alone!!!! (and then maybe they will leave us alone). I know, dream on Ginny , dream on...........

Spryng- your MIL (now how did I get on her again!) sounds a lot like mine. It has taken her years to figure out that I am not such an awful mother. As a matter of fact, had we listened to her 12 years ago when she thought that all our Ds needed was to eat some "thickened formula" (I nursed all 3 of my babies) he would be dead!!!!!! (she tried to talk us out of surgery to correct a life threatening problem that would have killed him in a day or two).
I got/get credit for little from her- but I suppose now I probably get some credit for not poisoning Dh in almost 20 years of marriage with my cooking! (you see the only way to cook is her way). Aw, nuff of her!!!!! (an I can't leave my MIL alone in my house either- she loves to snoop). Well- I hope that you find a coping mechanism for while she visits. For a low cal cookbook, I have found JoAnna Lund's Healthy Exchanges cookbooks great.
She takes "normal" foods- like macaroni and cheese, desserts, you name it and takes out most of the fat and lowers the salt. Her ingredients are all normal stuff- nothing exotic or hard to find and food prep is always easy (never exceeds 15 minutes, I think).
Also her recipes are all evaluated by a dietician- so I can easily take one and convert it to my WW points, knowing the fat, fiber and calories. Her desserts are great too. Just an idea- and I am sure that there are many good low cal cookbooks out there.
It is tough with a child who is fighting to keep weight on (my oldest was that way). We found with her that she was going to eat only when she wanted to, and many small meals worked better. By 11 am each day, she would eat 3 meals, go for a nap and then eat 3 more meals before the end of the day. Today she is a healthy 15 year old.

Ok, so I have babbled enough! My day ended on a bit of a stressful note. Dd (6) was so tired and irritable. The 15 year old is hormonal
:dizzy: - and no joy to live with. Fortunately Ds was in a good mood!

Holymoly (being that I neglected you earlier, please forgive me!)-
try even a short amount of activity, say 10 minutes of walking (I think Jackie suggested that) and slowly build up. I started walking for 10 minutes (3 times a week for the first 2 weeks) and then built up as I thought I could stand it. Remember, if you do not feel good excercising, you will not excercise at all- so try to keep it pleasureable for yourself. Does your library rent excercise tapes that you could sample? Just an idea.

Gotta go. I am going to start thread # 26- hope that noone minds. Looking foward to seeing y'all there!!!!!!!!
Ginny