Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 11:48 AM   #16  
Pending Email Confirmation

Red face Hi!!!!!!

Hope you all are having a great day! My usually terrific two year old has decided to be a terrible two year old today. My hands are full. I finally got them down for a nap! Oh how sweet when they sleep. Well congrat's with your dress there Spryng! I'm glad to hear your shower went good! The potty training is going very well. I'm doing all liquids today. I still have some of the virus. But I am feeling more like my old self again. Welcome CMD1974! I hope you find the support you need here. That's all for now! I'll probably post again later.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:04 PM   #17  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Glad to see that most everyone has had a chance to check in and say hello. I am going to print the posts and read later.
See ya later!!!!! Have a great day! (off to a good start with my eating- got a great late nite walk in last nite in the sparkling snow)
Ginny
Old 01-08-2002, 02:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Exclamation

Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd take time out of my busy schedule to drop you all a line or two or three......or whatever it turns out to be! I guess this is one way to keep myself accountable. I'd lie if I told you all that I've been a good girl. Unfortunately, I got into the chocolate this a.m. & ate 3 pieces! Maybe with all the running around that I'm doing, it will just melt off of me. Oh!, how I wish! The rest of the day I've been pretty good. I guess the guilt got thru to me. Holymoly: I'm glad that you appreciated my advice. I'm sure a lot of it you knew & like me, just needed a reminder. I forgot to tell you one of the most important parts of my success in losing the 20#. Drink your water! 6-8 8 oz. glasses p/day I also try to lose weight in incraments of l0#. It's so much more rewarding. For each 10# that I lost, I would do something special for myself. The first l0# was a bunch of clothes on the clearance rack. For the next 10#, it was a months worth of tanning. Well, 10 of the 20# are back on again, so I get to start over with the same 10# again! Wish me luck!~ So, I'll join you with "Baby Steps".

To all of you: Another thing that I did last year was for each 5# I'd lose, I'd put a 5# bag of flour/sugar, etc in a grocery bag. It was kind of funny but, it was hard to lift the bag after 20# was in it! This was rewarding enough for me to actually physically & visually see what I had lost. And I was carrying around this extra weight on me? And to think...I have 40-50# of it left on me! It might sound crazy, but another thing that I did was take one of the 5# bags & put it next to different parts of my body & then imagine the extra bulge I may have had. Spryng: Glad to hear that the shower went well & also that the skirt to the bridal gown fits "loose"! Good for you!! You go girl! Just promise one thing though, you'll add a few more calories to your plan after the wedding. I also was wondering on how the Kelloggs challenge worked. I may try it for a few days, or at least add more fiber to my diet. I was just reading in a magazine that if you just increase your fiber & do nothing else, you'll be able to lose weight. I know I'm guilty of not getting enough fiber, so I'll try & force it down my throat! Misti: Hope that you are coping with your "terrrible two" & that things are going more smoothly for you. If not...maybe try picking her up & dance with her to some great music. It worked just about everytime when my kids were that age. It doesn't work as well now anymore, they're too big or they don't care for my music! I do know for sure though, that music is good therapy. I remember when I used to work in a Nursing Home & the OT's would come once a week & have a music hour & boy did that lift their spirits! Everytime I hear "You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine" it brings back the memories & I get tears in my eyes! Well, Ginny: As you can see....I'm back to my chipper self again! DH & DS are not doing to great though. DS is home with me today & my poor DH is driving back home (5 hour drive), with the flu! I also wanted to thank you again for keeping the thread going during the holiday season & when I was under the weather. Without your constant postings, I do believe that our thread would have fallen apart. (Especially the days when you were posting & answering yourself, when no one else came on to post!) It really paid off, so thanks a million!!

I feel so happy that our thread is booming & we have all these SAHM's to support one another! I definitely need the support this time around. I have to figure out an incentive to keep me going though. Last year I had 2. The first one was getting trim for Hawaii & the other was trying to be 140# before the BIG "40"! I guess the best incentive I can think of is to lose the weight & then flaunt it in front of my DM! I am so sick of her picking on my "flaws"! I could tell you all some real doozers, but that would be another chapter to my book! Well, I guess I'll end for now & get back to work. See yah all later!

**Jackie**

Last edited by Freckles; 01-08-2002 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:53 PM   #19  

Default Hi everyone

Hi - Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Well today is day two and so far so good. I was able to go to the YWCA and walk the track last night for about 45 min. and then this AM I went back when I took my daughter to preschool. They have such a nice facility and It is a good program for anyone with babies because you can have them right with you in their stroller. Mine naps while I push her around the track. Thanks for telling about the FitDay.com It was just what I was looking for as a way to keep track of my food intake, and the Charts are neat. any suggestions for some yummy snacks to have on hand? Afternoons are going to be hard for me I can tell! The baby takes a nap and I finally get a chance to sit down and relax a little - and what do I wanna do but snack!!
Have a good evening!
Old 01-08-2002, 04:19 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hello everyone! The kids are down for thier nap so I have a couple of hours to myself. I really need to be cleaning my kitchen and folding laundry but I rather be here with you. My mom-in-law is coming down again tomorrow (this is the 5th visit in 1 1/2 months!!!! ) I have to tell you. We don't get along that great and I'm tired of her suprise visits. She lives four hours away. But I guess I'll deal. I just really have a hard time sticking to a diet when she's around. Like I said before she's 300+ lbs and really in need of losing weight. She won't diet though. Doesn't have an inch of will power. So she was thinking about having stomach surgery but when I did some research on it I really think she should just try dieting. Their are so many complications from that. Plus in the end you must count your calories and fat intake and small portions. So you are still dieting for the rest of your life. Might as well just diet to begin with.
Anyway, enough about that.
CDM what type of diet are you on? When my kids nap and I start to relax I want to snack too. especially when I'm on the computer. I use to eat whole bags of chips and such while online. But now I don't. Instead I keep my mind or my hands busy. I answer all my emails and do whatever else I have to do ( I have an online store so i keep tabs on it. Check it out if you like http://spryngs.iwonstores.com/ ) Then I get off and do something good. Like clean or nap or just read a book. I'm used to it now. But if I really want a snack I just make sure it's a good one. One that I can include in my diet.
Jackie I do promise to increase my calories after the wedding. In fact I think I may take some time off of dieting all togather. I may just maintain for a week or two before I try losing the rest for summer. My initial goal is 130, which I'm only 7 lbs away from but my long term goal is 125. I want to be 125 by this spring. Bathing suit season. last year my bathing suit was a size 16. But this year I'll be a 10!!! (I will be a size 8 but they say buy a bathing suit a size larger) I would have gone down 6 sizes!!! I'm so excited!! I just went into a size 10. That was a wonderful day. I really feel like a new person. And for info on the kellogs challenge. It's not like a diet diet. The commercial just said to eat kellogs special K or their bran cereal for two meals a day for two weeks and they guarentee you'll lose weight. I have it for breakfast and lunch and then have a healthy choice for dinner. I lost two lbs in two days. Not bad huh? of course my calories were like 400-500. Very low. So unless you want to lose fast then for your dinner meal have a nice sized meal. You will still lose. Let me know if you do try it!
Holymoly did you say you were from oklahoma? or was that CDM? I live in oklahoma that's why I ask. I was wondering where it was you use to live? I live in a small town called Gans. I'm about 10 miles from the border of Arkansas, the town of Fort Smith. Heard of it??
I'm so impressed with these posts! We hit page two in one day anymore! I was beginning to wonder. I joined right before christmas and nobody was posting really except me and ginny. SO it's great to see so many here!! Talk to you guys later!!
Old 01-08-2002, 05:11 PM   #21  
burned out bus driver

Hi!!!!!
First of all- this is odd me that I am even on the computer at this hour. Usually, Dd aka known as the family computer hog has it and is instant messenging with 50 million buddies.....or waiting for her boyfriend to show up online. So I have a few minutes to myself-I made dinner last nite (soup) and the rest went in the crock pot this morning. Ds is at basketball practice and Dd is at a buddies house playing in the snow. So here I am!!!!!!! And it is not even 11 pm yet!!!!!!

Spryng- welcome back!!!!! I am glad that the shower was a success. Jackie kins of stole my thunder, because when I read your post before, I was hoping to suggest some sort of action plan so that you can live with being thinner and not depriving yourself all the time. I agree that taking a week off might be a good idea (we will all be here to reinspire you!!) You might try getting a weight watchers book or something like that to help you put eating back in perspective. For me that is tough- finding balance. And you have done sooooo well (congrats on the dress fitting!!!!!!) - it is to your benefit to keep it off. And I sympathize with the MIL stories. Mine is a winner too, our relationship is ok, but I really must keep her at arms lenght. Take a deep breath, get out for a lot of walks if she drives you really kooky
! Better yet, we can give her the address of my MIL and they can drive each other kooky!!!!

CDM- great job on getting in a workout!!!!!! That really helps you feel better and burns off some of the mommy stress that we accumulate. Your family is young- so there are probably many times that it seems that you can't even think without someone crying for you!! Enjoy the Y! As for snacks, I have a few that I do well with. Low cal hot chocolate, pretzels, a cup of cereal (dry- even the sweetened kind), diet yogurt (yum!), a box of raisins, or even one of the snack sized bags of M&M's are among my favorites. I usually tend to stay away from the candy- but one of the small snack sized M&M bags is only 3 (if my memory serves me right) points. Most of the other snacks (except the pretzels) are 2 points (I think). That is what I like about Weight watchers is that I know what I am dealing with no matter what kind of food.
One day I had a donut- knowing full well that it was 6 points and made up for it with a really healthy lite dinner. Good luck!!!!! You will find something that works for you!

Jackie!!! Stealing my thunder again!!!! I was all ready to go into the water lecture too!! Well, one thing that I can add is a gimic that I use to make sure that my water intake is good. (and water is key for me to lose!). I have certain times of day/activities that I insist that I have water with. I get up each morning, take my medication and a big glass of water. same with when I sit down to the computer- another glass of water. Same with before I walk, and then when I get home. And I have a glass of water right before I make a meal for the family.........needless to say I drink a lot of it! Whatever works for you- but these silly rituals keep me hydrared. I hope, Jackie that your son is feeling better, and Dh too!!!!!!! Men make such lousy patients. And I am thrilled to see the old Jackie back!!!!! Maybe you can make up for the nasty chocolate with a high quality dinner. And some time on the recumbinant bike.\
Misti and Holymoly-- sorry I am running out of time. Gotta get dinner on!!!!! I will check out fitday.com later and see what that is all about. In terms of the anxiety/depression my sister is on meds for that, and I know what she goes thru. It is a struggle.
But we are encouragers here- we won't pick on you (unless you ask us to!) . Life is just too short to be negative. It is far better to build each other up!
Gotta go set the table and rescue Dd fromthe snow.
See ya later!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I will, the ever obsessive me, start a new thread if noone minds!)
Ginny
Old 01-08-2002, 05:58 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hi Ginny! You always make me laugh! lets definitely get out MIL together so they'll leave us alone!! Joe and I have been married for almost 4 years and when we first got married I really liked his mom. But since the kids were born that changed alot. I mean i still like her but she irritates me to no end. Too old fashioned for my blood. We are very different people. I was raised with parents who went through the 60's and 70's. You know free love and all that. They were very lenient when it came to food we ate and such. Joe's parents are older then mine and they only listen to 50's music anything with the least amount of guitar in it is considered "jungle bunny" music. Whatever that means. My dad played bass in a heavy metal band. needless to say they are total opposites. So when I had Ava, my first born. We clashed on child rearing. She would do things behind my back that I didn't approve of (like feed her a whole smashed banana at 2 months when she wasn't even nibbling on cereal!) It made her very sick. Well, this could take all night to explain. but I think you see the picture. In a few words....she doesn't respect my parenting. I'm 21 years old and she feels like I am a child raising two children in the dark. Understand? It makes me crazy. They don't visit much. Once every few months or so but this last two months I've seen them 5 times already!! It stresses me out and then it's hard to not over eat. I can't get out and take a walk like I would like to when their around because they may do something to my house while I'm gone. It's crazy. Really crazy. But thanks for the encouragement!
I should buy a low cal recipe book. That's why I eat so much healthy choice meals. I haven't learned to cook low cal. Plus it's hard on my kids. My daughter is 2 and weighs 18 lbs. So she is very underweight for her age. if her doctor found out I was feeding her low fat stuff he would not be happy. In fact I'm told to feed her ice cream after every meal if she wants it to encourage her to gain weight. So what I usually do is make them something for dinner (hamburger helper, etc.) with vegtables and bread and then I cook a HC for me. Then I'm not tempted to eat their food. But if you guys have any suggestions on a family meal I can eat too then I'm all for it. It would be nice to cook for myself again.
Well, I guess I should go!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:18 PM   #23  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi! Thanks Jackie for the advice with the 2 year old worked like a charm! In no time I had a terrific 2 year old again! We do a craft every afternoon and I was worried the crankiness would ruin everything. But all went smoothly, thanks again! I'm glad you all are checking out the fitday site. It is amazing! I'm really getting alot of use out of it. I have one of those MIL also girls, let me know where you are sending yours and mine will be on her way! Good luck Spryng, I always stress eat when mine is in for a visit also. My favorite snack is popcorn, no butter and alittle low salt and pepper too! I still pop mine on the stove and use cooking spray sometimes butter flavored. I'm also intersted in a site or book with low cal meals. I haven't ate the same meal as my family in months, it would be a nice change. I did liquids today, and to my suprise I still had 1750 cals! It's unbelievable how many cals are in fruit juice. I had a great work out today and am really begining to feel good. Tomorrow is weigh in for me, I had thought I might meet my first goal but I am begining to have doubts since I realized how many cals I was still having and not excerising. I won't be disappointed though. At least I hope not! Well good night all!
Old 01-08-2002, 10:13 PM   #24  
burned out bus driver

Hi! Just me the ever obsessive one again!!!!!
Now just to finish up where I left off before-

Misti- sounds like you are on the right track there. You are so right about juice being high in calories. Good that you are looking- checking up on what you consume to see where you can cut. (I usually do not drink juice, because of its calories. I would rather have calories or points on something I really want instead! sort of like those M&M's............ ) I still do the music thing with my kids. I will use classical for homework or when I need the gang to calm down a bit. Glad that Jackies tip worked for you. A crabby 2 year old is a tough customer! And as far as MIL goes, well how about we set up a central meeting location- send all of our MIL's there, and then we can leave them alone!!!! (and then maybe they will leave us alone). I know, dream on Ginny , dream on...........

Spryng- your MIL (now how did I get on her again!) sounds a lot like mine. It has taken her years to figure out that I am not such an awful mother. As a matter of fact, had we listened to her 12 years ago when she thought that all our Ds needed was to eat some "thickened formula" (I nursed all 3 of my babies) he would be dead!!!!!! (she tried to talk us out of surgery to correct a life threatening problem that would have killed him in a day or two).
I got/get credit for little from her- but I suppose now I probably get some credit for not poisoning Dh in almost 20 years of marriage with my cooking! (you see the only way to cook is her way). Aw, nuff of her!!!!! (an I can't leave my MIL alone in my house either- she loves to snoop). Well- I hope that you find a coping mechanism for while she visits. For a low cal cookbook, I have found JoAnna Lund's Healthy Exchanges cookbooks great.
She takes "normal" foods- like macaroni and cheese, desserts, you name it and takes out most of the fat and lowers the salt. Her ingredients are all normal stuff- nothing exotic or hard to find and food prep is always easy (never exceeds 15 minutes, I think).
Also her recipes are all evaluated by a dietician- so I can easily take one and convert it to my WW points, knowing the fat, fiber and calories. Her desserts are great too. Just an idea- and I am sure that there are many good low cal cookbooks out there.
It is tough with a child who is fighting to keep weight on (my oldest was that way). We found with her that she was going to eat only when she wanted to, and many small meals worked better. By 11 am each day, she would eat 3 meals, go for a nap and then eat 3 more meals before the end of the day. Today she is a healthy 15 year old.

Ok, so I have babbled enough! My day ended on a bit of a stressful note. Dd (6) was so tired and irritable. The 15 year old is hormonal
- and no joy to live with. Fortunately Ds was in a good mood!

Holymoly (being that I neglected you earlier, please forgive me!)-
try even a short amount of activity, say 10 minutes of walking (I think Jackie suggested that) and slowly build up. I started walking for 10 minutes (3 times a week for the first 2 weeks) and then built up as I thought I could stand it. Remember, if you do not feel good excercising, you will not excercise at all- so try to keep it pleasureable for yourself. Does your library rent excercise tapes that you could sample? Just an idea.

Gotta go. I am going to start thread # 26- hope that noone minds. Looking foward to seeing y'all there!!!!!!!!
Ginny
Closed Thread