3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What scale do you use? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/122997-what-scale-do-you-use.html)

Andi18 09-17-2007 11:00 AM

What scale do you use?

Which scale do you use?
I have two scales but I usually only use one of them. The scale I use is one of those dial type scales but I'm not too sure it is accurate. My son brought out the digital scale last night...I tried both scales and there was a 20 POUND difference. Not in the good way either :o Now I don't know which scale to use. I started out my weight loss journey using the scale that weighs me the lightest. I've never been to fond of the digital scale as it can fluctuate 5 pounds within 1 minute. I can weigh myself on it 5 times and MAYBE come up with the same weight two times.

any thoughts on this?
What scales do you use?
How reliable is it?
What features does it have?

mizm 09-17-2007 01:20 PM

In June, I bought the Salter 9009 BKSV3M Lithium Electronic Scale (400 lb. Capacity with Extra Large LCD Readout) for an online site. Like you, I've found it "fluctuates 5 pounds within 1 minute. I can weigh myself on it 5 times and MAYBE come up with the same weight two times."

I've had my mom use it (she weighs 145) and it fluctuates for her too!

mrsgeb2 09-17-2007 01:31 PM

i have a digital scale that i bought about 5yrs ago. (sorry this one only does weight)

i get on it 3x every morning and ask what is your final answer. step on, step off, step on, step off, step on, step off, i take the weight that shows up twice as it's final answer.

Azure 09-17-2007 02:08 PM

I have a digital HoMedics scale. It's a glass surfaced one. It's VERY accurate/reliable and also gives H20%, Body Fat %, BMR and Muscle Mass %. I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are--they're supposedly decided upon based on an electrical pulse that the scale sends through your body via the feet. I really only pay attention to the main numbers :)

1TiredGradStudent 09-17-2007 02:10 PM

I use a Tanita digital scale with body fat monitor. The body fat % is not all that accurate - there is too much day to day fluctuation in the number, but the weight is extremely accurate. If I weighed 5 times in a row, I would get the same weight at least 3 out of the 5 times. It has about a 0.2 to 0.4 pound variability. I can live with that.

JayEll 09-17-2007 02:30 PM

Chicks, puleeeeze stop jumping on and off the scale!!! :lol: :lol3:

I use a Tanita digital scale with body fat % and total water %. The weight is the same if I step on, let it do the reading, step off, wait for it to reset to 00, and then step on again.

I suggest that you get yourself a new, good scale, use what it says in the morning, after you've pee'd and before you drink any water, as your starting weight. Weigh at the same time of day and under the same conditions whenever you decide to record your weight (daily, every other day, weekly, whatever!).

Weight fluctuates during the day but is usually lowest in the morning under those conditions.

Jay

Cassie501107 09-17-2007 03:28 PM

I have 2 scales, both digital. The Tanita was my first one,and I get to fed up with it. It measures body fat %, but I can step on it 5 times and get a different reading every time.
SO I went to Wal-Mart, and they had some Taylor scales on sale...I picked one up, and I LOVE it! I can get on there 5 times, and it will NOT give me a different weight. No body fat reading, but I trust it more than my other one.

Andi18 09-17-2007 11:24 PM

I did it, I went to Wal-Mart tonight and bought a new scale... I bought the HealthoMeter Body Fat & Body Water Fitness Tracking Scale. Now the realization will be tomorrow when I weigh myself on both scales to figure out what I started this journey off at truly...and I know unfortunately that that weight will be my highest weight ever. :(

vixjean 09-17-2007 11:51 PM

i love it jusj, what is your final anwser, I am going to try that, LOL!!!

1TiredGradStudent 09-18-2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayEll (Post 1857553)
Chicks, puleeeeze stop jumping on and off the scale!!! :lol: :lol3:

Hey, it's aerobic exercise - it's like a step class right there in my bathroom

:exercise: :trampo:

Cassie501107 09-18-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1TiredGradStudent (Post 1858323)
Hey, it's aerobic exercise - it's like a step class right there in my bathroom

:exercise: :trampo:

LMAO!

Andi18 09-18-2007 06:55 AM

:dizzy: you guys rock!

Okay so I tested the new scale out this morning. Did jusj's final answer bit and the new scale gave me the same weight 3 times!! woo-hoo!! I think I found myself a winner. Unfortunately for me, the new scale weighs me 19 pounds HEAVIER than my old scale. :club: *this guy is seriously going to take a wacking to my old scale*

Dang it! I am starting this journey off at my heaviest weight ever. :cry:

JayEll 09-18-2007 07:54 AM

Andi18--Sorry! :( But it's better to know. Use that as a motivator! Now you REALLY have a good reason to lose!

Hang in there! :cb:

Jay