Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #31  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Recently I feel asleep instead of eating. It was late and my SO insists on always having chocolate in the house, usually chocolate covered espresso beans. I was really thinking about getting into those beans, but I was just so tired I couldn't motivate myself to get up off the couch and I ended up falling asleep.

I have no problems throwing food out. All of our food scraps go into the green can and get composted, so it's not a waste. We get two free bags of compost per year (and our neighbor doesn't use his, so this year we got his bags too). So I figure that any food I throw out just goes into our garden to make better food.

If I buy something that is hard for me to eat in moderation, I try to make myself follow the rule that if I don't eat it in single servings, I have to throw it out. I have some cinnamon almonds in the house right now and I absolutely have to eat them in single servings. The second I start double dipping, or not weighing them, I have to throw them out. I love the cinnamon almonds and I really want to get to eat them, so knowing I'm going to have to throw them out if I don't eat them in moderation is helping me stay in control. This strategy works with some stuff and then there are other things that I just don't buy because I know that even with the rule, I'm not going to be in control; I'm either gonna eat the whole thing in one sitting or end up throwing it all out.

Unfortunately, my SO is not as zen as I am about throwing food out, so I have to be sneaky about it. If I can, I'll hide it with the legitimate food scraps in the freezer. If it's too much to hide, I'll sneak it into the green can late at night or I'll try to get up early on garbage day and get it into the can while he is still sleeping (really hard to do because they pick up that green can super early).

Like Robin's kids, my SO also knows when to stop when it comes to eating. Lots of times he'll put one or two bites of food in the fridge because he just couldn't finish them. He used to always try to foist off his leftovers off on me, especially if they weren't going to last much longer (since he hates to throw any food out). I finally had to say: "Look, I'm trying to lose weight here, I can't be your garbage disposal. You need to take responsibility for the food you can't finish."
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #32  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I finally had to say: "Look, I'm trying to lose weight here, I can't be your garbage disposal. You need to take responsibility for the food you can't finish."
Oh, I wish my mother would learn to say this to my father. He is such a food pusher.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #33  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I hate to waste food (too frugal)! I feed stuff to the cat. Who knew he'd like egg yolks?
That is HILARIOUS! My cat won't touch anything but tuna, but my dog is another story. We try not to give him table food very often because he is already on the chunky side, but every once in a while he will get a bite. It sounds like there are some really lucky canines out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieCiCi View Post
I can't believe I'm going to admit to this... There's a cabinet in our kitchen that I have my husband put a bike lock on - Doritos, peanut butter, sweets, nuts. Yep, I have him LOCK it up and hide the key. Sometimes, I just can't help myself... Luckily, he understands. He thinks I'm really wierd, but he helps any way he can!
That is awesome. If my husband still brought in stuff that I have a problem with, I'd make him do that.

The silliest thing I've done is to crush bags of chips before I put them in the trash. I will have a craving, buy a big bag, have a bunch and realize halfway through what I am doing and I will stop and crunch up the bag and throw it in the trash. I do that because I have been known to take chips out of the trash (I know that is gross!). I have been tempted to funnel those crumbs into my mouth but it would just not be the same.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #34  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Actually, egg yolks are really good for cats (birds, too). It's all the protein in them.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote