Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Default Freezing during weight loss!

Are anybody else's hands and nose ABSOLUTELY FREEZING while they are losing weight? When I try to maintain, I'm usually fine. But when I am losing, BOY am I cold! Warming up the room doesn't help, either. I usually need to get up and go for a walk (I sit at a desk all day for work) and get the blood flow going. Although I must say, usually when this happens I think "Yippie! I must be losing weight"
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

All the time I was looking forward to summer as at least I'd be a bit warmer (as opposed to melting last summer) but seeing as all we've had is bad weather I'm currently searching the Internet for clothes that a)fit me and b)I'll be able to layer to keep me warm.

I can only assume that once I do get to goal (eventually) and go into maintenance I'll be able to up my calories a bit more and get a bit warmer? Any clues from maintainers/successful losers on this theory?

Last edited by JayEll; 08-19-2007 at 12:20 PM.
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I use to always be hot, now I carry a sweatshirt everywhere I go because I'm so cold. Places with a/c are the worst, but usually I'm the only one that is freezing, others are a little cool or comfortable.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2QJandT View Post
I use to always be hot, now I carry a sweatshirt everywhere I go because I'm so cold. Places with a/c are the worst, but usually I'm the only one that is freezing, others are a little cool or comfortable.
Thats the worst part isn't it? Everyone tells me I'm crazy. They all feel fine, but not me I just made a cup of tea to warm up my hands and that helped a bit at least!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #5  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Wow, I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm constantly freezing. Doesn't help that my boss is always hot, and our AC blasts right onto my desk.
On the plus side, though, when it was hot here, I was okay, not sweating like a pig like last year!!
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I can't say that I am often cold but I sure am a lot more comfortable - not always so hot.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Yup. Same problem. I'm not sure if it's because of the lower caloric intake, or because I've shed a layer of fat that used to keep me warmer. I'd sure like to know if this will regulate again later on, even in a few years from now, because it sure feels weird (and I absolutely hate when I catch a cold in summer on top of it because of that spawn of Satan that is the AC).
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #8  

I do! But if I have just one bad day, I wake up SO warm...That's all it takes for me.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I was always hot, I was freezing during the first few months of weightloss (but I also had just had a baby so who knows how much was hormonal) and now I am always hot again. I need to keep dieting to stay cool Maybe I'll go on a maintain in winter, lose in summer plan.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #10  

I'm very often totally freezing anyway, dieting or not! My body isnt very good at self heating

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Hi,
I wondered if I was the only one with this problem.

Myself... on top of the cold hands...I hot flash! (menopause)
can't win.
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

It doesn't seem to depend on calorie intake or whether I'm actually losing or maintaining, but I'm constantly cold at the moment. I don't know whether it's because I don't have enough body fat, or not as much as I'm used to having, but I see people wandering round in shorts and t-shirts while I'm wondering whether it's really pathetic to put a coat on over my jumper. In August. (to be fair it's not very warm here at the moment, but still...)

I'm really not looking forward to winter!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #13  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

YES - always cold here; and it gets worse at a lower weight. Post menopausal too, I have no idea what a hot flash is. I need to move to the Sun, or maybe just Phoenix.
Thyroid dosage does not have any effect. I'm just a cold person! Yes, especially hands and nose.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by denialisnthappiness View Post
I can only assume that once I do get to goal (eventually) and go into maintenance I'll be able to up my calories a bit more and get a bit warmer? Any clues from maintainers/successful losers on this theory?
I am a maintainer who eats over 1800 calories a day, I have been maintaining for over 2.5 years. I am freezing all the time - air conditioning is painfully cold, I have to hurry through the frozen food aisle at the grocery store. Movie theatres? Awful. I keep a blanket in my office and a sweater in my car. On a positive, I don't get super hot like other people. I was in a friend's new condo last week, everyone was complaining of dying of heat, dripping with sweat, etc, I was a tiny bit warm but comfortable!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #15  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Always cold. Whenever dbf expresses disbelief, I smile and say "remember that I lost my 38-lb sweater." It's funny how much difference it makes!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote