Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #1  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Default Not taking that taste, bite, or nibble . . .

So, this thought popped into my head today and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else while on their weight-loss journeys.

Before I started on my weight-loss adventure, I used to taste just about all of the temptations at work that were offered, whether it be candy on people's desks, donuts, cupcakes, popcorn, snacks in the breakroom, whatever. It was always a problem for me at work because whatever was there in front of me, I would eat. Especially the candy jars on people's desks - one Hershey's kiss would soon turn into 10 by the end of the day.

Since I started on my diet in April 2007, I have been able to qwell that habit of tasting/biting/nibbling on everything offered in the workplace. This morning we had a staff meeting at which there were bagels with cream cheese - one of my most favorite treats. Almost everyone was helping themselves to a big bagel with lots of cream cheese, and I managed to sit down and not even touch a bagel. It oddly made me feel happy inside and I gave myself mental pat on the back for not indulging in such a lovely treat. This has happened a lot the past few months, as whenever someone brings in the sweets and I just walk right past them, it makes me feel happy and better about what I am doing.

Just wondering if anyone else has been able to defeat the temptations at work and have felt that happy feeling inside when they know they are doing the right thing even when the cupcake just looks so good.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I know the feeling/ Today, for example, a departing coworker brought in two boxes of Krispy Kremes. I ignored the e-mail announcing it, but had to walk by them to fill my water bottle. All three times I passed, I didn't even look in those boxes, just kept walking. Also, there is a candy bucket with assorted treat's on the ED's assistant's desk. I usually would snag something--a kiss, some Starburst, a fun size bag of M&M's when I swung by to check on something. Since I started counting calories, etc. two weeks ago, I haven't had one item out of that bucket. Not even a Werther's or a peppermint. It feels good knowing that I am making the right decision for me.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

That happens to me on a daily basis. We own a campground. Of course in our store is all the candy bars, ice cream, you name it, garbage food. I pass by all of it daily and feel so happy that I don't need or want to eat it anymore. It is the best feeling.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #4  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

It does feel good, while I am not perfect everyday I have cut back tremendously in my eating while at work. The biggest thing that helped me is making sure i have a snack for around 11:00 when I am tempeted and again around 3:30 or 4:00 so I don't go home and eat half the house while making dinner. I brought in a bag of these baked apple chips today. 50 cals for the whole bag and they are great. The this afternoon I really was craving ice cream, but I had a raspberrie and cream dannon yogurt in the fridge here that was just as enjoyable and many many less calories. And -- why is it the tiny ladies in the office are the ones with the most chocolate in the candy dishes on their desks? Congrats ladies on us all making better choices.

Angie
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My trick with donuts at worked (dont ask me WHY this worked) was I would pick out "my donut" and tell myself "Oh I can have it, but not yet, I'll have it later ". Inevitably "my" donut would be gone later and I never felt like I was denied.

Sometimes I had to delay the donut 3 or 4 times but someone else always got to it first!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesliesMom View Post
And -- why is it the tiny ladies in the office are the ones with the most chocolate in the candy dishes on their desks?

Angie
Theory 1 - Because they can eat it and/or resist it

Theory 2 - Because a little chocolate daily works better for some than not at all (it does for me--usually)

Theory 3 - Some of us cant resist temptation in the grocery but come to our senses once we get home.....so to work it goes - this was me for a long time. I somehow satisfied my sweet tooth by raiding the pick-a-mix bin and taking it to work. Virtual binging.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesliesMom View Post
And -- why is it the tiny ladies in the office are the ones with the most chocolate in the candy dishes on their desks?

Angie
I have LOADS of chocolate in my cabinet. I almost NEVER eat them unless I am in the mood for them (afterall, good quality chocolate is expensive, and you don't want to waste your chocolate on boredom/ unconscious snacking)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Oh gosh I really do know what you mean about how good it feels to resist. I figure we can look at tempting treats two ways: Either feel sorry for ourselves and fight with ourselves about whether or not to give in; or 2: be proud of ourselves for not caving and happy that we can resist. I can get in the groove of #2 and feel so great and happy, and say positive things to other people who complain that I'm not eating along with them, like, "Boy, that sure looks good but it's not for me today," or something like that.
Congrats! Next time you're tempted try to remember how good it feels to be in control, that's at least what I try to do. It doesn't work all the time, but it at least works part of the time.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I bring lots of food to work. In fact, people make fun of my lunch because it is like a banquet. I bring homemade veg. soup, a huge salad, a peach or two, some sliced cucumbers in vinegar, a couple of wassa crisp, a bit of meat to add to my salad or my soup and what ever else I can find in the fridge. That way I am never hungry and can resist whatever may come to work to tempt me. I have one exception. There is a guy who makes real cheesecake every six months or so. When he brings it, I have a tiny slice because it is really a quality item, and cheese cake is one of my absolute favorites!

I don't seem to want most of the stuff people bring anymore. I am kind of used to my healthy food. A good thing, for sure!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

This is a tough one for me. There are days when I can and do resist and other days when I simply cave. I teach, and teacher centers are notorious for being full of cookies, donuts, and other goodies.

I remember when a friend was doing Weight WAtchers, she said they were told at their meeting to "Watch out for BLTs"... which stands for 'bites, licks, and tastes" - the calories/points add up. I have to agree, it's better to just not taste it in the first place - at least for me. It can be a slippery slope.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #11  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I won't claim I can resist all the time, because it's not true and sometimes I get tempted. But my tendency to take such licks and tastes is going away all the same, slowly but steadily, and I must say it does feel good. I don't lick the spoon any more when I bake for friends' gatherings and the likes, and every time someone brings candy at the office, I take a minute or two to ask myself if I really would like to eat some. Most of the time, it makes me realize that I don't even find said food appealing, and would only eat it because it's here. It's a little harder when I'm truly hungry and haven't brought a snack, but that too is something I'm learning to deal with ("you're hungry, so what? It's not the end of the world, and you go home in one hour anyway").

One thing I do at times too is a 'game of fate'. (I don't rely on 'fate thoughts' when it comes to weight loss in general, it's just for those occasions.) I tell myself that I will have it later on, when I'm hungry, and if there isn't any left, well, then it's Fate! The junk food is generally brought to the office in the morning, when I'm not hungry at all yet, and of course, by the time it's 11:30 or so, the candy is already gone. It's easier to resist when it's not here any more.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 AM   #12  
Peachbody

I have a coworker who "stress bakes." Whenever he is anxious or upset, he bakes these amazing cakes, cookies, and pies. But he doesn't eat them. He brings them to work. I am going to have to learn how to resist his stress baking, or find a way to make his job happier.

Geri
Dr Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #13  

Nope, can't resist! I eat bad stuff instead of the good :-(

I don't work (student) but have this problem with stuff in the family home

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #14  

We are CONSTANTLY having some kind of party at my job. I can resist. My issue is more what other people think (not that I should care). Are they looking at me funny because I'm NOT eating? Then I notice other people aren't eating the junk either.
What I hate most is when it's almost like there's "no choice" in the matter , ie: a going away pizza party for someone and there are no other offerings. I of course eat pizza, but I don't like to eat the one they usually get (so greasy) and I'd rather not because I want to spend my calories on other things (like a larger quantity of less calorie dense food).
I love when there's fruit at our parties. It's actually a treat! (I don't normally buy such a variety of beautiful fruit already cut up for me !)
I'm sick of everything revolving around food.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #15  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidful View Post
I'm sick of everything revolving around food.
You know what... me too.

I regularly take part in role-playing game sessions, when I have some free time between studying and working, and all the participants always bring food, as a token of appreciation for our hosts... but I can honestly say that if there were no food, I'd come and enjoy myself exactly the same way. Same goes for so many things. I appreciate a good, gourmet meal like everyone else, but when I want to be with friends, I don't see why the most important part should be the food.

(Although what is annoying is when you know the gathering will be annoying, such as one with boring family members you don't like a lot: then food becomes a way of keeping myself busy. Uhh.)

And what I do at work in such cases is to pour myself a coffee or something. This way I have something to keep my hands busy and make me appear like I'm fully taking part all the same. Well, nowadays I can even invoke the excuse of the Pizza o' Doom that has left me disgusted and emotionally scarred forever. (Our tech guys ordered a pizza on a Friday evening, and the next Tuesday, it was still sitting half-eaten in the kitchen. /headdesk/)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote