Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #1  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

S/C/G: 212 / 204 / 150

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy I've fallen and can't get up.

I'm in a deep, sugar-filled hole right now. I eat nothing but crap all day long and just can't seem to stop. I need a plan but am paralyzed by the choices. I signed up with Weight Watchers online, but neither Core nor Flex satisfies me. I can't enjoy life doing lowfat or fat-free.

I'm drawn to lowcarb, but am scared by the initial withdrawal symptoms. I work full-time so can't be saddled with brain fog or lethargy for a week or more. I actually "feel" OK with high amounts of carbs, so lowcarb is not the only option. I did lose some weight on Jenny Craig many years ago, but got tired of the food. Variety is important to me.

So, I need some advice. If there are any recovering sugar addicts out there, which type of plan worked for you? I'm open to most any plan, but the more idiot-proof, the better.

Many thanks!
wurdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/204/165

Height: 5'7"

Unfortunatly I have no answer for you as I am in the same spot. DH and I are TTC and I realize now more than ever that I have to get rid of the extra 50lbs I'm carrying around. I'ts not that I don't have motivation and I do like working out, I just feel over whelemed by all of the choice. I am committing to South Beach again this week and I do have to say that it is the one diet that will break your sugar cravings. It worked for me initially I just didn't stick to it. I didn't even find the first week hard. The first two days were a challenge but as long as you have the right foods on hand its really easy to follow.
LisaCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey wurdnerd and LisaCB,

It seems that the only way to break a carbohydrate addiction is to lower the amount of carbs you eat. Sad but evidently true!

From what you've said, wurdnerd, it sounds like it's not the choices that are paralyzing you, but maybe your unwillingness to make a commitment...? in that you've named several options, all of which work! Any one of them would result in weight loss (and reduction of sugar addiction) if you decided to follow it.

Sugar Busters is another good program, BTW.

There is no reason to eliminate carbohydrates or fats entirely--in fact, that doesn't work well. We need those foods. But overweight and obese people really do seem to eat more than necessary of those two groups, barring medical conditions. The good news is that once you start with a plan, you do get used to eating less of those foods, and you really do feel more satisfied. There is of course a transition period--but no one said it would be easy. Simple, yes; easy, no.

I like what you said, LisaCB, about South Beach--maybe start that again?

My suggestion, wurdnerd, would be that you choose one of the lower carb plans and give it a try for a month, or at minimum two weeks. You can't tell what a plan will be like for you until you do it, and for more than a few days. Don't be put off by your fears and objections!

Good luck with getting off sugar and losing those excess pounds!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-15-2007 at 08:41 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

YEP ~ What JAY said! That gal is smart!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #5  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hi!

How about calorie counting? If you commit to keeping your daily calories on target, you'll find that you reduce junk carbs and junk fats because they're simply not worth it. And food variety isn't restricted at all, as long as you're willing to accept the consequences (for later meals) of what you eat.

When push comes to shove, weight loss is a function of calories out > calories in. Reducing calories is the simplest and most effective "plan" around, even if no one makes money off of you when you follow it.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I should have added: I'm a calorie counter. And what kaw says is true--if you're counting, you really see what carbs do to your cals!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
I'm in a deep, sugar-filled hole right now. I eat nothing but crap all day long and just can't seem to stop. I need a plan but am paralyzed by the choices. I signed up with Weight Watchers online, but neither Core nor Flex satisfies me. I can't enjoy life doing lowfat or fat-free.

I'm drawn to lowcarb, but am scared by the initial withdrawal symptoms. I work full-time so can't be saddled with brain fog or lethargy for a week or more. I actually "feel" OK with high amounts of carbs, so lowcarb is not the only option. I did lose some weight on Jenny Craig many years ago, but got tired of the food. Variety is important to me.

So, I need some advice. If there are any recovering sugar addicts out there, which type of plan worked for you? I'm open to most any plan, but the more idiot-proof, the better.

Many thanks!
For me, I had to devise my own plan, since I'm the one that has to follow it - for life, I figured I had best come up with things that I can indeed follow forever since that's how long I'd like to remain at a healthy weight for.

The most idiot-proof thing for me to follow is calorie counting. It's my version of portion control. And of course I make those calories highly nutritious ones, eating mostly low fat proteins, veggies, and some fruit. Whole grains are also an option.

I too ate tons of sugar. I found the best way to curb that craving was to just go cold turkey. It was rough the first couple of weeks and then oddly enough, the cravings diminished greatly. And I can happily say that sugar is no longer a major issue for me.

I also find planning ahead to be ESSENTIAL. I keep junk out of my home and keep it stocked with healthy foods. I plan out my meals so that when meal time comes around there are no surprises and no bad choices to make.

The bottom line of course is, one needs to really, really, REALLY make the decision and the commitment to a better and healthier lifestyle. One needs to make the decision to no longer eat junk all day long. To decide once and for all that that junk is just not worth it. Is it easy at first? - nope. But you do get used to it and you will come to love what eating healthy foods in healthy sized portions does for you. It's a great feeling. The benefits are marvelous, simply marvelous. Eventually you will wonder why you didn't make the switch earlier.

Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #8  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

The flexibility of calorie counting is appealing, but feel like I need some extra help in controlling my carb/sugar addiction. I tried Atkins and loved the way it totally killed my cravings, but freaked out when my BF scale was only registering water loss the first week or so. I thought I was going to get dehydrated. Guess that was a bit premature, but if I'm completely honest, I don't think I could handle the Atkins for Life route. Life without pasta is not worth living.

South Beach does sound like the most livable of the lower carb options. It has that initial "bootcamp" phase, but allows good stuff to be added pretty quickly. And no counting, which is a plus.

I need to just buck up and commit. Sugar has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I think it's just as addictive as some drugs, but much harder to avoid on a daily basis. We're surrounded by it... it's tasty... it's cheap... so there you have it.

Hopefully, I'll find some willpower somewhere.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #9  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

I know the more i eat sugar/crap, the more I crave it. If you can commit to eating well for even 1 day, do it. Take it a day at a time. Don't worry about what you ate yesterday or that you might blow it tomorrow. Just focus on today. I've been in a 'poor eating' slump for a few months now. I find that I'm reaching for the junk w/out even thinking about it again. Not good. Sometimes I think 'ooo, I just have to have it' but if I were to really listen to my body it's really saying 'you're eating from habit, Jo, habit' and nothing more. I know myself that the first few days to a week or so can be hard but I also know that the cravings stop once you get going and the junk doesn't really taste as good as it does when you eat it all the time (hope that made sense -- it did in my head! ). Good luck!

Jo

The more I try to help other people w/this advice, the more I'm hoping I start listening to it myself!!
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

I agree totally with Rockinrobin. I too kinda made my OWN plan one that I can live with day to day forever. Portion Control is key for me too. I just had to make myself be aware of things that I eat and also consistant with exercise. Once I got used to my routine it became so easy and I CAN live with it daily.

Good Luck to you!!!! And you CAN do this.
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #11  
Rocky Mountain "Hi"

Ahhhh, Jo "is that really me" nailed it. Habit is totally killing me. I constantly reach for the easiest thing, which is always a carb... maybe some dairy if it sounds good. Protein, veggies and whole grains are typically the last things on my list since they require some kind of prep. Gotta find some healthy go-to foods to take the place of the crapola. Work is my biggest challenge. If I don't manage to pack a lunch, I'm at the mercy of the vending machines. Not good.

It's weird, because I'm a pretty good cook. I just hate cleaning up afterward.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurdnerd View Post
Ahhhh, Jo "is that really me" nailed it. Habit is totally killing me. I constantly reach for the easiest thing, which is always a carb... maybe some dairy if it sounds good. Protein, veggies and whole grains are typically the last things on my list since they require some kind of prep. Gotta find some healthy go-to foods to take the place of the crapola. Work is my biggest challenge. If I don't manage to pack a lunch, I'm at the mercy of the vending machines. Not good.

It's weird, because I'm a pretty good cook. I just hate cleaning up afterward.
You talk about habits killing you. The wonderful thing about all this, is that is IS possible to CHANGE your habits. You get rid of the "bad" stuff and add in the "good" and eventually it's the good stuff that you will be reaching for. That will be your new habit and your new way of life.

Yup, protein, veggies and whole grains do require some prep and some pre-planning. It's definitely a commitment. But isn't it worth it? You put in a little time and yes, work, but the payback is overwhelming. The rewards far, far, FAR outweigh the input.

You also mention that you're a pretty good cook. Well then get cooking! It's the best way to have variety and to control the amount of calories that's in your food. Make a big batch of a few different things and you'll have it for the week ahead. YEah, the clean-up part is lousy. But again - it's worth it. YOU'RE worth it.

As far as being at the mercy of the vending machines - yes that's exactly it - you need to plan ahead. Pack a lunch.

All these changes will become second nature to you and it doesn't take very long for that to happen.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the others.

Planning is really helpful. We will make a bunch of stuff on Sunday and make up individual servings to use as lunches, etc. throughout the week and put in the freezer for whenever.

Sugar is tough. I will say that I also went cold turkey on the sugar. The more I have...the more I want. I can say no to it now. I also find myself craving the foods that are part of my eating plan (I count calories). YES! I am admitting that I look forward to my snack of celery with some garlic hummus or my sliced apple with a mozzerella stick. They taste good! I would *not* have thought that I would have felt this way a few short months ago.

Bottom line...this is for life. I need to do something that I can stick with and am satisfied with. I have what I want and just track it all.

When I started, I took a day at a time. Commit to today. Don't worry about yesterday or tommorrow. You CAN do it.

Good Luck.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #14  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Wurdnerd, I know what you mean. It is very scary to start any new program. It is hard also, so that doesnt make you want to "jump in" and get going. I have days and even sometimes weeks where I can not seem to stop eating "crap". It doesnt seem to matter what I think, I just eat. It is a hard cycle to break.

Try making SMALL changes before going into a major plan. Skip the second helpings at meals, use less butter/salt/oil in cooking. If you drink whole milk try 2%, if you are already on 2% try 1% or skim (I have found that 1% is easiest for me) Get low fat salad dressings and eat big salads before your meals. Try eating your food in a different order, like:
salad/vegi's/meat/then your startch or fats. I did that and found by the time I finished my salad/vegis that I only had room for a "normal" serving of the meat and nothing else. I try to not have a roll/bread with meals. Believe it or not even little changes (granted it takes a longer time to see results) make a difference. Not only that but when you change little things, over time they tend to become healthier habits and easier to stick with.

GOOD LUCK and we are all here for support!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #15  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Wurdnurd,

In all your comments, you haven't mentioned why you want to lose weight. What is motivating you? If you are just doing it because you should.... you will have a hard time committing, it is just easier continuing status quo. Find a reason that will help you find cause for committment. If nothing else, develop some type of reward system. (non food!!!!) It doesn't have to be something that is costly either, just something that is out of the ordinary or special that you wouldn't normally allow yourself.
Belly Buster is offline   Reply With Quote