3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   opinions wanted please..... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/116336-opinions-wanted-please.html)

gabi 06-28-2007 05:52 AM

opinions wanted please.....

Ok.....so here is the deal. I am a 23 year old girl who loves to sing. It is my passion.....it is what fills me up. American Idol is going to be near where I live in about a month. I would LOVE to go try out......except for one thing.....I weigh 380lbs. I can't think that they would even consider putting me on the show at that weight.....but part of me still wants to go. I have been singing since I started talking.....and I went into the medical field ( because I love that too...) and everyone I know has always asked me why I haven't gone into the music industry. Well.......the answer is my weight. I have always said it was one thing or another.....but the pure and simple truth is that if I was a normal weight, I would be in the music industry. So here I am at 5 in the AM thinking about what to do.....I mean.....do you think an overweight girl could even have a chance? Honestly? Lets here some real thoughts on this......thanks!

JayEll 06-28-2007 07:20 AM

Hey gabi, :wel3fc:

Of course we can only give you our opinions. Mine is--I think that if you tried for American Idol at your current weight, you'd be disappointed with what happened. It's just the way the world is.

That's not to discourage you from singing, though! I think it's wonderful that you're a singer! You should keep that up. :carrot:

Perhaps your desire to be a singer could help you become motivated to lose weight. At your size, you would probably want to be supervised by a doctor and a nutritionist. Have you looked into any medical weight loss programs? That would be the way I would go, if I were in your position. Your weight is at the dangerous level.

Good luck! And glad to see you here!

Jay

Andie5205 06-28-2007 07:29 AM

I am going to be completely honest with you, from one chick to another.... I don't think that the show or America would ever elect a woman of our size as the next American Idol. Yes, Reuben won, but he is a man and its different. American & show biz is way too concerned with outside appearance to be able to vote solely on someone's talents. I am sure you can sing like an angel, and I am very jealous of that talent, I always wished i could sing. But the honest truth is that it probably doesn't matter if you could sing better then every single person there. This is Hollywood we are talking about. The girls who have been "heavy" on the show that they made to seem huge, weren't very big, just bigger then the other size 2's up there.

Now, all that being said. I still don't think you should but your life on hold just because you are carrying some extra weight. If its something you are passionate about then go try out. Give it your all. Just don't be hurt or surprized if they pass. You will still have had the experience and be able to say "Hey! I tried out for American Idol!". And heck, you never know, I could completely wrong & you might get far with it! Heck, I know a bunch of chicks that would vote for you! But I would hate to see you 5-10 years down the road wondering "what if....". So if you are strong enough to try with the knowledge that you might fail or get passed on, and possibly embarrased just because of your size then I say GO FOR IT! I personally wouldn't be that strong.

But American Idol isn't the begining & end of the singing world. You can sing without having to edure ridicule from a panel of "experts".

shelby897 06-28-2007 08:45 AM

I agree. Unfortunately that show seems very appearance oriented to me. I hate to say it, but even with amazing talent they are looking for the "size 2, bleach blond" -- look at the last person from there that someone in the media said was overweight, headed for health issues, etc. -- she was thin by most peoples standards. However, if you don't go you'll always wonder -- and I'm wondering if behind the scenes there are possibly scouts at the tryouts who could hook you up anyway, leading you in the right direction.

Good luck in whatever you decide -- you know we would all vote for you!!!

lumifan4ever 06-28-2007 08:50 AM

Gabi...for the fun and experience of it, i say do it!!! Just ignore Simon!!! Paula and Randy are usually very nice. Unfortunately, at your size, I don't really see them picking you. And that is unfair, i know!! But I still think you should do it. I think if you don't, you'll always wonder, what if??? Get a girlfriend and make it a day!! Have fun with it. Maybe we will even get to see you on tv. Honey, even at my size, I don't think they would pick me if i could sing. And I too envy you because I WISH I could sing!!! And you may get some tv exposure and that could set the wheels in motion for something else.

Okay....so I say GO FOR IT!!!!

ThisTimeIsDifferent 06-28-2007 09:04 AM

Hey Gabi.

I agree with with the others. But you never know, so I say go for it. Show them what you've got. Good luck to you!

Spinymouse 06-28-2007 09:10 AM

Am I the only one who does not view American Idol as some kind of epitome of vocal showcasing? I admit I am biased against such pop culture. I don't really get it. My advice: aspire to something above and beyond American Idol. Something above and beyond petty judgements.

NightengaleShane 06-28-2007 09:18 AM

I totally agree with Spinymouse. American Idol is a joke. I actually auditioned for that as a joke (I'm an actress, I wanted TV time) a few years ago and made it on TV as one of the worst. ;) Even if I had vocal talent, I wouldn't go on that show - it's just plastic, fake, and yes... rigged. Remember Diana DeGarmo? Season 3? I know her personally - they really screwed her over. They made her sing 4-5 different songs each night (as they do with all the contestants) and showed her worst performances so that she would get voted off towards the end. Then, they worked her very hard, she got sick, and they wanted her to sing anyway. They didn't push Fantasia nearly that hard. Yes, I know that Fantasia had a potentially inspiring life story, and Diana was just a teenage girl from the suburbs, and I though probably would have voted for Fantasia anyway for that reason (if I cared enough), what they did to Diana De-WHO?? (people hardly even remember her...) was totally unfair.

GO for your singing career. Do you play guitar? If not, pick up an acoustic, learn some basic chords, and either start composing your own music or get someone else to write/collaborate with/for you. Who says you can't chase your dreams, even if you ARE heavy? Go out and get it, girl... just not through a shallow, superficial show called American Idol! ;)

AmberD 06-28-2007 09:25 AM

I say try out!!!! Will you win? Probably not. I haven't heard you sing, but even if you were a size two, the sheer number of people trying out makes the odds of getting on the show ridiculous.

But it'll be fun! and a great experience!

NightengaleShane 06-28-2007 09:41 AM

One other thing, though:

You might as well try out, anyway, and here's why:

You actually have to get past two rounds of judges to even get to the big three. Hardly anyone even gets past the first round, let alone the second or the third. IF you DO EVEN MAKE IT to the big three, THAT is a huge accomplishment in and of itself that you should be proud of, regardless of what Simon might say.

jillybean720 06-28-2007 09:50 AM

I say screw it only because of some of the things already mentioned--that it's rigged and ridiculous, and the audition process is WAY more than a single day. They are NOT out to find the best singer--they are out to entertain America. From what I've read and spoken to others about, the entire audition process can actually take up to an entire week (this is why some people auditioning lose their jobs--they wouldn't lose their job being gone just 1 day for an audition). They ask the people who make it from round to round to kep wearing the same clothes so they can piece things together and make it all look like a single day when they air the show. They will also make you sing certain songs THEY pick for you, so you can't only sing what YOU want to sing. This is how they get those parts of the audition episodes where a bunch of people are all singing the same thing.

If you do decide to audition, I wish you the best of luck, but I would certainly not place my singing hopes and dreams on the shoulders of a corrupt competition.

FWIW, I've been singing for forever as well, and I, too, have been asked why I haven't tried to do more with it, and my response is typically something along the lines of, "because I don't look like Britney Spears." There's no doubt in my mind I have more singing talent in my pinky finger than Britney has all together, but a little hair bleaching and a few tanning sessions certainly won't hide my physical flaws :dizzy:

In short: don't skip the auditions because of your weight (after all, Lakisha and Mandisa were bigger gals, and they got onto the show). Rather, skip it because it's a dog and pony show, not a real talent competition.

rockinrobin 06-28-2007 09:51 AM

I say go for it. You'll always have it in the back of your mind that you should have.

Just don't go there with any high expectations. Odds are you won't make it through. Odds are you very well might get your feelings hurt. The heck with odds - go out there and give it your all!!!!! Have FUN with it, and whatever happens - happens. :hug:

flawlesscube 06-28-2007 09:52 AM

The idea that your even thinking of not trying is baffling, there are too many things in life that we could regret, Try It and see, And if anything you can say you went and sang your best. If there are scouts good luck and I wish you well. If they choose a size 2 blonde well let them have her at least you can sing. :) And if some one opens there ears and chooses you, THen you will have bragging rights. Kudos and Good Luck, I am rooting for you
Anna

ladybugnessa 06-28-2007 10:00 AM

go for it.
continue to lose weight
meanwhile if your voice is that great go into studio work and when you are thin be a break out artist.

JayEll 06-28-2007 10:33 AM

I'm sorry... but I think it's a waste of your time to even try out. If they allow you any advancement at all, it will only be to make fun of you. Don't let them do that. It will hurt you too much.

There are many better ways to advance yourself than that show.

Jay

ladybugnessa 06-28-2007 10:36 AM

well thats true Jay they will make fun. and if you're not strong and secure it will hurt deeply.... so consider that you will not advance and you will be the butt of the jokes and your 15 minutes of fame will be painful.

but you could let them make fun laugh with them have your 15 minutes of pain and say I DID IT MY WAY!

personal choice. Me i'm strong and mean and if i had the voice i'd go for it.

junebug41 06-28-2007 11:17 AM

If it's your hope to *someday* enter the biz, TRY OUT.

You may not make it past the door.

You may be berrated because of your weight OR because of your singing (which is much more devastating, IMHO).

If you are truly serious about a career in this field, these auditions can be invaluable experience. They are opportunities to build your repitoire as well as audition chutzpah, which is hard to come by.

The trick is, when you hear "no"... don't take that to mean "no" forever. Take it as a learning experience and move on.

Dream big.

CousinRockingChair 06-28-2007 11:20 AM

The way the world is right now,theyd only use you for novelty.

Its far from my utopia, but thats life right now. Sickening

Kery 06-28-2007 12:27 PM

Maybe it's worth trying just for the experience, but in any case, it's probably not something that is *really* worth it (I mean, the impression I got from it was that it was a popularity contest, and not exactly something that will really enhance a strong voice full of talent).

So maybe you can try, why not... And then shoot for classical singing lessons, a choir, a specific class for singing, whatever that exists in the USA in that regard! It seems that anyone with a nice butt and gloss lipstick can make it on TV shows and the likes today, but IMHO a real singer (someone who can perform in serious musicals, for instance, or, heck, opera! Opera is god!) will trample them all, and I don't mean in terms of weight.

Beach Patrol 06-28-2007 12:58 PM

Don't use your weight as an excuse to not do something that you really want to do.

onthetee 06-28-2007 01:13 PM

There are so many other ways to showcase your talents, sing and possibly be 'discovered'. There are other avenues for voice talent beyond being a pop success.

I would encourage you to join a local women's chorus, go to an open mic night, record something for youtube or publish a podcast. Someone who is in the business might hear it. Will your weight prevent you from becoming a pop sensation? Probably. But the chance to be a studio musician for a major label? There are worse things.

I know a woman who went through something similar. She had an amazing voice. She ended up doing a lot of theater work in her city and is now considered 'local talent' when she is seen at an event or fundraiser. It took a long time for her to come to grips with the injustice that singers are not just singers, but she really likes her life now.

harrypotterybarn 06-28-2007 03:23 PM

Despite my own strong views about the show and American culture (heh heh), a very good friend of mine tried out. She has an absolutely amazing voice but is, frankly, very unattractive (slender can only get you so far). She went through 3 rounds and was eliminated because she wasn't "what we're looking for" in an idol, but according to her it was a generally positive experience. She said the toughest judges were here fellow contestents, but if you can get by a few rude comments from teenagers the judges are very fair and honest with you.

almostheaven 06-28-2007 04:27 PM

I say if you have problems with others' negative comments, about your weight or appearance or voice...don't try it as it could sabotage you. If you're tough though, if you KNOW going in that you ARE going to get some comments somewhere along the way, then go for it. It may be rigged, that's not to say you won't get noticed in there. You may not be what America is looking for.

Face it, they're pandering to teeny boppers who are looking for the next hot chick/guy with a good voice. They're not looking for someone who has perfect pitch and is overweight, or someone who sings like an angel but has pimples all over their face. They want an IDOL. It may be a singing competition, but the title of IDOL says it all. They're not just there for a singer. You have to have it all around.

Go in knowing this, go in with the belief that you'll get negative comments about your weight, know that you can handle it, and you may like the experience even if you don't go anywhere on the show. But if those comments are going to set you back at all, avoid it like the plague.

Reddalice 06-28-2007 08:51 PM

It is sad

My cousin, at 350+lbs, went to Seattle for American Idol last year. They flat out told her she was too fat. However... she went, knowing that criticism may be harsh. She went to pursue her dreams, and if it is a dream you got to try- you never know! You may just be that amazing.

veggielover 06-28-2007 10:28 PM

I hope whatever they say will not hurt you. :(

glitterlicious 06-28-2007 11:13 PM

The only way to know if you have a chance is to try.

Yes, our society does have a bias against larger people. There's no denying that. But think of it this way, it could be your chance to make a dent in this bias and to show the world the talent that you have been blessed with.

My advice is to go for it. Dress in clothes that are flattering and you are comfortable in, and then let your voice shine.

Even if you don't make it through at least you won't be kicking yourself wondering after the fact what could have happened...

jillybean720 06-29-2007 07:56 AM

So...let us know what you decide to do! Are you going???

Misti in Seattle 06-29-2007 08:19 AM

I agree that they probably won't accept you... but I say go for it anyway! Just... if you do you MUST realize that if you get before the judges they are cruel and sarcastic and you may need a sense of humor and not let the wise cracks get you down. Drives me nuts when people go on that show, get themselves on TV and then whine because Simon or whoever hurt their feelings. :) If they watch the show at ALL they have to KNOW they are setting themselves up. If they can't take the heat, they need to stay out of the kitchen. Also remember... even if you were a "skinny minny" the chances of making it through are pretty remote; so don't necessarily blame your weight. LOL who would have ever thought a home town boy from little ole Bothell would have made it to second place. You'll always be sorry if you don't try. But DON'T go and try out if you don't think you can do it without getting really hurt over potential rudeness and sarcasm. And look "elegant" -- don't dress up in some stupid costume. :)

gabi 06-29-2007 09:37 PM

well ladies.....I have decided to not go this year. Number one because I am not sure that American Idol is even the proper way to go about things anyhow and I have prayed about it and feel in my gut that it would be a bad decision. Also, I feel that many of you are right....as unfair as it is America is just that way and I would be the butt of many jokes....not something I want! Also I am already in our communities summer musical/play and I am having much more fun doing that than if I were trying out for AI. Thanks very much for your thoughts on the subject....my mother is disappointed.....but she will get over it. Also I would like to take a moment to say how much I appreciate the clothing sites 3FC has on their site! I found the perfect dress for the musical and another upcoming engagement....exciting since I can never seem to find pretty clothes. I also would like to say that never have I encountered a more honest and supportive group such as this, it is going to make sticking with my goals so much easier! Thanks alot ladies!

JayEll 06-29-2007 09:56 PM

gabi :hug: You do your music! That's a good thing! Good luck! :hug:

Jay

bargoo 06-29-2007 10:21 PM

I say do it. If you want to be a professional singer , sing every chance you get.

shelby897 06-29-2007 10:33 PM

Good choice!! I'm sure you enjoy the experience you are getting now more than you would the stress of AI!! I still think you should try to get some CD's out and about for backup singing -- I bet you would be wonderful at it!!

gabi 06-29-2007 11:47 PM

I will try and put a video clip or something on here if I can get a recording of part of the musical! It is a blast!

JayEll 06-30-2007 05:43 AM

And congratulations on the 3 lbs lost, by the way! :cheer2:

Jay

Doughnut 06-30-2007 06:35 AM

I'm really surprised at the amount of negative responses you got here. If you are actually good (be honest) then you should definitely go for it. If you don't just because you're fat then you're saying that you're not as good as a thin person just because you're fat. Other people thinking this is their own problem but you can't agree with that ever.

If you actually went and got far enough to see the judges then I wouldn't be afraid of Simon Cowell. As you may know, American Idol is based on a British show called Pop Idol. The winner of series 2 was a Scottish girl, Michelle McManus, who is extremely short and weighed about 25 stone. I can't do the maths in my head but there's 14 pounds in a stone. There were constant arguments about her with judges saying she was too fat. She stayed and finally won because the nasty Simon Cowell said that her weight was largely irrelevant when she had a voice like she did.

Go for it and good luck!

Kery 06-30-2007 07:24 AM

A musical this summer? oh **** yes, I want to see that, if you can put it on Youtube! That sounds great, and I hope you'll have much fun, and lots of other opportunities afetr that! :)

Misti in Seattle 06-30-2007 10:19 AM

In a sense I agree with Doughnut... what other people think IS their own problem. However, if we think that way then we have to be prepared for our OWN reactions to their crude remarks and be able to laugh at ourselves, even when things "sting" a bit. I always cringe inside a bit when I go out riding my bike or in the pool, etc. because of my weight. But I'm not going to let that stop me nor am I going to allow myself to be overly sensitive and get my feelings hurt by their wise cracks... at least not allow the feelings to take hold when they do creep in. It's not "fair" but in this world -- at least in the US-- it is "reality" that overweight is not acceptable to the culture at large and we ARE going to get snide looks and thoughtless remarks. We can't change the world but we can change our own reactions to it. That was what I meant by saying that if someone is going to something such as AI, better plan to take the heat because you will get it. :)

Amarantha2 06-30-2007 10:58 AM

I think you got great responses here, Gabi, and you also seem to feel that way, that folks giving their honest opinions helped you make your decision. I just found the thread and was going to chime in with a "go for it" but, as others said, only if you feel you are ready to possibly become a target ... and everyone on that show is a potential target because it really is based, in my opinion, on the entertainment factor of being cruel to people ... but then, that's their decision to go and do it.

Re the weight issue, I noticed this year, which is the first time I've watched more than clips of it now and then, because this year someone from my state was in the finals, that the best and most talented performers (at least they were in my opinion, but I'm not a teen, so ...) were overweight, yet they were treated with respect and even praise for their vocal talent by the "judges" (if that's what one wants to call those three folks). All of these people seem to have done well after they got exposure on the show.

So, I don't think weight should be something that discourages you. Your decision to go on and do your local musical and go about things in a different way seems sensible, but if you want to try out for American Idol at a different time, don't let weight stand in your way ... and as someone said, maybe this is the motivation you need to "get your act together" in that area of your life as well so that you will feel even more confident when and wherever you decide to go with your music.

Don't let anything or anyone stop you from being or doing anything you want to be or do ... if you have weight to lose, lose it, but regardless, do what you want to do in life.

Misti in Seattle 06-30-2007 12:30 PM

Amarantha, excellent point! Everyone who goes on that show is asking for it. :) Hey our entire CITY -- and metro area of Seattle... got blasted as they said we were the worst city they had ever been to, etc. But they even had to kind of eventually eat their words, since the winner and second place person... and three in top 7... auditioned here and two were actually FROM here! Icing on the cake was when the winner of the songwriting contest was from Seattle. :) And don't think we didn't enjoy seeing the "Seattle Sings... Say Sorry Simon" sign on national TV at Blake's victory parade in Bothell. And look how they smeared Sanjaya... but he just laughed it off... all the way to the bank! :) And the year before Taylor was costantly ragged on... he rolled around in the floor and laughed.

NONE of us are perfect.. we all have things about us we wish we could change and a show like AI is going to find those things and blast people for them. Only we know if we are at a place where we can take the blasting and laugh it off... or it is still too sensitive an area for us.

Spinymouse 06-30-2007 07:50 PM

Well, I was one of the negative response people but not because of Gabi's weight; I just don't have any admiration for that show. I wouldn't try out for it if I were 23 and looked like Britney Spears and sang like Barbra Streisand! I mean, to me it's like if someone wanted to be a serious chef and so they applied to make burgers at McD's. Granted it's popular but....so what.
And yes, I know, it's just my own opinion, and others might genuinely like AI and I know there are some incredible singers who have gone that route, but dang, if I had their talent..... I definitely would have chosen another route to get to my dreams! Anyway, just my little opinion. I am often too "whack-a-mole" when it comes to my opinions.