Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/150

Height: 5'4

Unhappy Help, Gasric by-pass didn't work

I am a 276lb wife /mother of 3 wonderful girls . I had gastric by-pass surgery three years ago and lost about 80 pounds only to gain back 70 ...... I feel like I am out of control and I am reaching out for a life raft.I want to live to see my children grow into adults but I don't know how to stop the food roller coaster from spinning out of wack..... I can almost hear the people out there saying "Just do it " but it is not that easy . I have tried every diet known to man and I am almost at the end of my rope >>>>>>>>.HELP
savedgina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

It's definitely not easy for anyone. Unfortunately, gastric bypass is NOT a miracle worker.. you need to pay a LOT of attention to what you are eating and the amount of food you consume. Honestly, it's completely possible to reach your goal by changing your lifestyle. Start by reading labels and making healthy choices. Make little changes, like a short walk each day or parking a little further from the store. You can do it, plenty of ladies here have - you just need to have some self-discipline and inner strength.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Unfortunately, there is no diet or eating plan that will miraculous let you eat what you want when you want. Losing weight is not really the hard part, it is maintenance that is the hard part. I've learned, as many others have, that you need to restrict your eating, incorporate exercise and keep at it for the rest of your life.

One thing you may look at is following a diet specifically for those with gastric bypass. I don't know too much about it but there is a weight loss surgery forum here. You need to take your vitamins and ensure you are eating plenty of protein.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Unfortunately, there is no diet or eating plan that will miraculous let you eat what you want when you want. Losing weight is not really the hard part, it is maintenance that is the hard part
This is it, in a nutshell. I think this is the simplest but most difficult reality to face for people who have struggled with their weight. To me, many of the diet plans out there capitalize on the idea of unrestricted eating of one sort or another (e.g., Atkins--eat all the fat and meat you want). But it's a fantasy. In reality, there is not eat-all-you-want-and-stay-thin plan (e.g., all that fat and meat of Atkins gets old; what's a sandwich w/out the bread?). (By the way, I'm not trying to knock Atkins, but IMHO, I just don't think a plan that eliminates a food group will work longterm for the majority of people).

My suggestion is that you get some help to deal with the mental part of the weightloss struggle (which, in my view, is most of the struggle). See if you can find a counselor who specializes in weight loss issues. Don't turn to the next diet plan that promises some sort of miracle. There are none.

That's just my 2 cents. I wish you success.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just a point of accuracy--Atkins does not eliminate a food group. It is very low carb in the induction phase, but after that carbohydrates are added back in a controlled way.

We have an Atkins forum--it's under Diet Plans, in case you're interested. And I think it's one of the plans reviewed on 3FC--check the main page.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #6  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

You can do it!
What is you main weakness?
Are you addicted to sugar and/or refined food?
Or do you emotionally overeat? Are you a binge eater?
Why do you think the bypass didn't work?
If you are addicted to sugar and refined foods, I suggest totally eliminating them from your eating for 2 weeks to start. Don't keep it in your house..if you have to, put it in a cupboard you can't get to. Also don't have any beverages that contain calories..like sugar pop or juice. IMO those are just wasted calories when you are trying to lose weight.
Only eat foods you enjoy...
think about the common denominator- the reason why you think the other plans have not worked for you in the past..
if you keep full, and keep your blood sugar steady by eating low glycemic foods 5 times a day, and eat lots of fiber rich foods and drink your water, then I think you will find it much less of a struggle esp after the sugar monkey has gotten off your back (by you kicking him cold turkey!)
You may want to consider something like the nutritionists are teaching diabetics to eat..and around here at the grocery store you can get a consult for less than $30. They give you tons of info, a meal plan etc.
Good luck!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/178/140

Height: 5'2

In order to have gastric bypass don't you have to see a nuitritionist to help you with your diet? Perhaps you could meet with one again to help get you back on track.
Shayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Whether you have surgery, or change your diet/exercise habits - there is no MAGIC to weight loss &/or maintenance - the simple fact of the matter is that you have to eat less and get yer butt to move'n. And don't ever stop once you reach your goal. How you choose to reach that goal is really the key. Unfortunately for most people, dieting is not just for a little while. It's a life-long journey. So apparently, for everyone, it has to be SOMETHING YOU CAN DO FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

YOU CAN DO THIS. So many have done it, and you can too. You just have to find what works for you.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

it took me a long time to find something that works.

first thing you have to do is figure out what you like to eat... what can you live without on a regular basis what you can't live without...

and go from there
then you have to accept that it's 2 steps forward one step back... it's never linear or predictable.

i've lost 50 pounds in just over a year.... i eat great...some days i fall off the beach some days i stay firmly planted in the sand of South Beach.

what i know is that i have to string numerous clean days together over and over in order to have loss.
i have to drink my water
andi have to MOVE

where in baltimore are you?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

I know it SOUNDS easy to just "diet", but the simple concept of physical activity and lifestyle change is actually very hard to most people. And to top that off, we need self-control and patience to go along with our plans! Small step at once, cut one thing for one week (ween yourself from it) and then another a next. Add a little exercise activity each week, and continue on with it. A lot of ladies here have lost weight this way. And believe me, I think all of us experience not just a little, but a lot of frustration along the way. It is normal, but if your stuck to it, you'll eventually get there.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #11  

As others have said in their own words, the steps to losing weight and keeping it off are:

1.) Eat Less
2.) Move More
3.) Repeat
4.) Forever

Steps 3 and 4 are the hard part in this process. And that is disheartening when one considers how hard steps 1 and 2 are. But the results are worth it.

What I've done. Take a small, maintainable step. For me, the very first one was to stop eating Hungryman dinners for lunch at work and opt for a Lean Cuisine or like instead. I got hungrier at work as a result, but I could live with it. Then I got used to it. Then, after I got used to it, I changed something else. Something else small, then I got used to it. Then I changed... well, you get the idea.

My knee hurt all the time when I started. Last thing I wanted to do was exercise. But I made a pact with myself to do it for ten minutes a day. Ten minutes would hardly kill me. I hated it, but hey, I can put with anything for ten minutes. Then it got to be not so bad. Then I added another 5 minutes. And another. Now, I walk for a little over an hour, four or five times a week. Even if I really don't want to much. It's just a habit.

Don't diet. Do pick up new habits, slowly, and truly make them lifelong habits. Don't let them slip away from you or your weight loss will also slip away.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #12  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Gina, first of all, welcome aboard & wish you the best in your weight-loss efforts.

1) You may want to consider the Weight-Loss Surgery sub-forum in this site. There are more folks there who have undergone similar surgical procedures as well and would probably provide much more insightful advice given your post-surgery condition.

2) As others have noted, there's no quick fix (which is what usually a "diet" implies), and you personally even found out that even drastic measures such as a gastric bypass is not one either. Losing the weight and maintaining that loss takes willpower, initiative and commitment.

3) That being said - it's not advisable to suddenly leap into too intensive a routine either, which may do more harm than good. Take gradual steps and make small changes one at a time. You didn't pick up all the unhealthy lifestyle habits overnight, so it's not reasonable to expect to lose them all in a short time frame either.

4) Keep track of your progress - log what you eat and what exercise you're doing, and any adjustment in your weight & clothing sizes. This will help keep you accountable and gives you an idea of what to adjust if you happen to stagnate in your weight-loss or gain weight.

Hopefully this is helpful - and again, best of luck & wishes to your weight-loss journey.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Gina,the gastric bypass worked, unfortunately you fell back into your old ways. You can change that, the old fashioned way, eat less. exercise more.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #14  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

How did you gain the weight back? How was your surgery done?

I have a few friends who had gastric done. One of them was very successful. She had her stomach down to 4 oz, and she ate 4 oz of good, low-calorie food 5 times a day and gave herself a treat.

I know others that ate the 4 oz, waited, ate another 4 oz, and so one and so forth.

I agree that you should see a nutritionist again. They'll tell you what to eat, how much to eat, and when to eat. And it may seem like you're losing part of your life, but removing food as both a motivator and a crutch would be an important step for your success.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #15  

Gastric bypass requires you to maintain a very strict diet or gain it back. It doesn't work a miracle so you can eat what you want when you want. I lost 200+ pounds the old fashioned way with WW and I've kept it off 30 years. I still am careful of what I eat and how much I exercise. You need to keep a journal and record every bite, taste and lick as well as how you were feeling emotionally when you ate and how hungry you were. This will put you in touch with the changes you need to work on. No matter what diet you do, the bottom line is calories in must be less than calories burned to lose weight. There is no magic pill or bullet so you have to put some hard work in. You can do this - we are here to help.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote