3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What do you do for a salt craving? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/115618-what-do-you-do-salt-craving.html)

trooworld 06-19-2007 11:42 AM

What do you do for a salt craving?

A lot of people have a sweet tooth, but not me...I have a salty tooth (okay, that sounds gross!). What do you do for a salty craving? I eat a pickle, a 100-cal snack pack of crackers, a single-size bag of baked chips.

BabyBrownEyes 06-19-2007 11:51 AM

I slice a sweet potatoe really thin and spray them with non-fat cooking spray, sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper and bake. I LOVE these and they satisfy my "salty tooth" ;). I also have a salty tooth....I can easily stay away from sweets, but I need my salts...this could be due to how much I work out that I'm craving salts. I thought I was craving a pickle one day but my taste for pickles has left me.

I also like to steam some carrots and spray with non-fat butty spray. MMMMMM...

Beach Patrol 06-19-2007 12:06 PM

I usually quench a salt craving by keeping a salt-lick in the middle of the table.

Ok, just kidding!!!! - but sometimes that is how I feel. I love salt. I put salt on everything except Jello. ;)

I usually try to find the SALTIEST thing I can....a pickle, or a single serving bag of chips, or sometimes some chicken noodle soup (it's REALLY salty). And that usually does it for me.

Get n healthy 06-19-2007 12:23 PM

How bout a bag of 100 calorie pop corn or a handful of nuts.

Doesnt craving salt mean you are a little dehydrated? Your body craves salt, you eat salt, and you can hold on to your water better. Meaning...you were dehydrated and that is your body's way of talking you into holding on to water. Especially during these hot summer months when we sweat and lose more water than we think.

JayEll 06-19-2007 12:33 PM

I don't think craving salt means that one is dehydrated--I've never heard that anyway. If you sweat a lot, though, it can make you want salt as well as water, which is how we come to have... Gatorade!

But... to get back on topic, ten pimento stuffed green olives is a great salt satisfier for me, and they have 4 calories each. I also find that Triscuits have enough salt to satisfy me.

Jay

Janny O 06-19-2007 03:10 PM

Ok-I am a recovering Saltoholic. My food used to look like the Alps in winter. I still need that "special" taste tho. SO- I have been on a mission to get the saltiest taste that is also pretty healty too! JACK LINK's prime rib beef Jerky!! I am on a super Jerky kick! BUT-I watch the sodium grams in each packet. It's a fantastic low fat, high protein, low carb snack. I feel like a savage when I eat it!!! hehehehehe.:D
-Jan

FreeSpirit 06-19-2007 03:39 PM

Popcorn, usually.

BabyBrownEyes 06-19-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach Patrol (Post 1739042)
I usually quench a salt craving by keeping a salt-lick in the middle of the table.

Ok, just kidding!!!! - but sometimes that is how I feel. I love salt. I put salt on everything except Jello. ;)

I usually try to find the SALTIEST thing I can....a pickle, or a single serving bag of chips, or sometimes some chicken noodle soup (it's REALLY salty). And that usually does it for me.

:rofl:

This made me laugh....a salt lick? LOL okay, so I know you weren't serious, but sometimes I feel like I need one. I love salt...I don't like overloading on salt, but I like it.

Can you guys answer a question I have about Gaterade? My brother says that he's doing so much better because instead of drinking a 2 liter of Mountain Dew a day he drinks 64 ounces of Gaterade and then some water. I told him that's a lot of calories and sugar and he just doesn't believe that it's bad for him. What is there to tell him?:dunno:

trekkiegirl 06-19-2007 03:50 PM

I'm the same way, troo. In fact, I've not bought Pringles in the last 6 months because they were my major snack food and I love them. But I need to feed the salt monster so, instead, I just started buying pretzels or 100-calorie snack packs or wheat crackers, etc.....basically, ways to satisfy the craving for less calories or things that take longer to eat so I don't eat as many. :p And I have low blood pressure (85/50 is not unusual for me) so I have some liberty in that regard. :p

Natalia 06-19-2007 04:43 PM

How about savoury Crispy Mini's , like the parmesan garlic ones? Or sour cream and cheese? or ranch and sour cream? (those ones taste like cool ranch doritos)!

Or you could pop some popcorn and sprinkle some white cheddar spice on it, thats pretty salty..

or how about a couple Ritz, a couple thin pieces of good cheese, and some pickle and shaved ham? That can even make a really yummy meal.

NotTheCheat 06-19-2007 04:50 PM

My current favorite is Glenny's salt and pepper soy crisps which have 70 calories per serving / 140 per bag. The 100 calorie popcorn is good for me too.

harrypotterybarn 06-19-2007 05:27 PM

Carrots with Athenos' hummus. That stuff just tastes soooo salty to me that it kills my cravings quickly.

But if it's salty and crunchy I need, then it's popcorn all the way. :)

trooworld 06-19-2007 05:41 PM

BabyBrownEyes, I really like the idea of the sweet potatoes. What temp and how long do you bake them? There is a veggie restaurant around here that serves sweet potato chips and they are so good but deep fried. It would be nice to have some baked ones.

Beach Patrol--- I can just see the salt lick in the middle of the table! Believe me, I've thought about pouring some salt in my hand and licking it. haha

I forgot about green olives. I love those and Triscuits are always good. I have to watch buying bags of chips, usually I mean well when I buy a big bag of baked chips, but it doesn't turn out so well. I decided to make a lowfat sour cream onion dip and eat baked chips with them, well those got out of control. Now it is strictly single-sized bags.

Natalia--- what are crispy minis? Are they rice cakes? Can't do the cheese...that's definite binge food for me. I guess I could if I got some from the deli, just ask for a little bit, but I definitely can't get a block of cheese or that sucker will be gone in two days.

BabyBrownEyes 06-19-2007 06:07 PM

Hey Trooworld..

I slice them in wedges....and bake at 425....for about 30 mins I would watch them though....and then after that I put them on broil for a few minutes if I want a little crispiness. These are so good and you can do whatever seasonings you want. Taco seasoning is good and so is parmesean cheese. Remember..sweet potatoes are considered a root vegetable so you don't have to feel like you're filling yourself with starch. :)

I usually do these late at night when I'm hungry and have a salty craving. I usually use a really big potato and it's enough. You can also slice them in thick slices instead of wedges.

ThinGirl in FatBody 06-19-2007 06:18 PM

Man, I am REALLY struggling with the salt thing. I am not supposed to have any. I made home made spaghetti sauce last week and it just tastes so blah without the salt in it.

I get my salt fix every 2 weeks in my Lean Cuisine dinner treat. (I cook every other night, no salt, no sugar, whole wheat)

I notice celery tastes salty (since I stopped eating salt)