Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #1  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Default I've decided on a reward when I meet my goal

Hey all,

I finally decided on a reward for when I reach my goal. I am currently at 250 and want to get down to 170 (or less, but 170 is good for me). I am 5 foot, 7 inches tall and hourglass shaped. I am also 42 years old. That means I am looking at having to lose 80 lbs. I finally decided something I want that I will really have to work hard to get, but will be a HUGE reward for me if I make it to goal. I want to get lasik eye surgery, so I don't have to wear glasses or contacts anymore. I had to get glasses in the 4th grade, so I don't even remember what it is like to live without them. I would LOVE to be able to wake up and be able to see first thing in the a.m. or in the middle of the night, without fumbling for glasses on the nightstand. My husband thinks I am gorgeous, sexy, beautiful, etc. no matter how much I weigh. He is very supportive of me and wants me to be healthy, as do I. I have all kinds of health problems (fibromyalgia, a bad knee that I am currently in physical therapy for, plantar fascitis, bone spurs in both heels, bulging discs in L4 and L5 - lower back). Some days I feel sooooooo old and feeble. I finally decided I need to do this to get healthy and be has healthy as I can be, with the other problems I have. Losing weight can only make things better.

So, do you think this is a worthy reward? Has anyone had it done? I am very near sighted, (-3.50, -4.50) so without glasses/contacts everything is very blurry. I see so many people on these makeover shows that get lasik surgery and love it. I don't know anyone personally who has had it done.

Of course, I will have mini goals/rewards too, but I wanted to come up with a really good final reward that would mean something to me and last a long, long time.

Thanks for "listening"!!

Kathy Bahr
Merritt Island,FL
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

What a healthy way to reward yourself! How exciting

You have many of the same conditions I do in terms of injuries and conditions (I have fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, bulging disks in L3-4, I broke both knees...jeez, I am too young to be this broken! )!

As far as Lasic goes, I have never had it done but I have a friend who is an ophthalmologist and he said one issue with Lasic is that people still have to wear glasses with them, especially after age 35 (usually reading glasses).

I say go for a consult, read all you can and wait for those who have had it done to pitch in here
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I think that is a great reward. A close friend of mine had it done and is thrilled with the results!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

I think it's a great goal! And if your insurance doesn't cover it, it might be fun to go get a quote and keep it next to a jar.. and give yourself a certain $ amount every time you hit certain mini-goals.. then you'll be able to see how close you are to your ultimate goal and your reward!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #5  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

That's a great idea! I had worn glasses since the third grade and I had it done at 30. That year I had also decided to lose weight and hit goal with WW (since regained, but oh well). It was a great experience. Needless to say with the weight loss and lack of glasses, many people didn't even recognize me. I think it just kind of added to the 'makeover' effect and the compliments were many. Good luck!

PS- You may still need reading glasses as you age, but that doesn't mean you'll be wearing them all day!
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My best friend's mom had it done in her 40's and loves it! I would love to have it done as well, but I'm not a good candidate for it (my pupils are too large.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #7  
No description available.

I had Lasik! LOVE IT!!! It actually helps with my weight loss goals cause I can run without pushing up my glasses and contacts just got weird for me in the last couple of years.

I am thrilled with it!

Did I mention I love it?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/188/145

Height: 5'5''

Great goal! I would love to do it myself. Have you called around to the Lasik drs in your town? Where I live, they often advertise free assessment, and then let you know the price. This way your goal will be that much more tangible. You will know if you are a good candidate, and how much you had better start saving

As far as being a good candidate, I have been wearing glasses since the 2nd grade, cannot see the big E on the eye chart, and have partial stigmaticms in both eyes yet I was STILL an excellent candidate for the excimer laser. The way the Dr described it to me was that before getting Lasik or RK was like buying a dress off the rack, it would fit -- pretty much. The excimer Laser is more like getting a dress specifically made for every contour of your body, it would not fit anyone else. And because of this, people who in the past were not good candidates now can get it done.

Good job on your weightloss, I can't wait to read about your Lasik!
backtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #9  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

My mom had it done and she went from wearing glasses all the time to only needing them for reading. She is so happy she had it done and always recommends it to everyone, lol!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #10  
I'm Serious This Time...

That is a lovely way to reward yourself.
PinkTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I've been thinking that I want to do the same thing when I reach my goal. I should reach it over the summer, and that would be a good time to do it. I can go back to my job in the fall (I'm a teacher) completely made over -- at my goal with no glasses! Woohoo!

Running is one of my biggest reasons for doing it. It's kind of annoying to run with glasses on!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #12  
Finally Committed to ME!

S/C/G: 22/18/6-8

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Neighbor I love it! The only thing I don't understand is this: Isn't losing the weight it's own reward? Why not treat yourself to Lasik now?
CarolynFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Just wanted to say that my husband had Lasik and it was the best thing that could have happened. He was in the Coke-bottle glasses phase (-7 in both eyes) and after Lasik he's got 20-20. He had a tiny undercorrection in one eye to prevent having to wear reading glasses while he's reading and working on the computer.

I did a lot of research before deciding on a doctor. One of my favorite searches was "Lasik fix." I felt that finding the guy who fixed bad Lasiks was the one we should go to! We wound up at the University of Washington, having the director of their clinic do his surgery. His price was competitive with other places and it was terrific.

Hope this helps.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Can anyone give us an idea of the price range for Lasik? I'm sure it varies widely, but I'd like to know an estimate just so I can see if it is a possibility for me. Do they do payment plans? I'm pretty broke!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

My husband's was about 3,500
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote