3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Diverticulitis (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/111506-diverticulitis.html)

azmom 05-02-2007 11:34 AM

Diverticulitis

I posted this in the maintainer's forum but also wanted to know if anyone else has had an experience with diverticulitis;

I was just diagnosed with Diverticulitis yesterday after a 3 day bout with horrific abdominal cramping, bloating and pain! Anyone else have it or had episodes in their pasts?
Here is the definition of diverticulitis:
Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots, like an inner tube that pokes through weak places in a tire. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. Pouches (plural) are called diverticula. The condition of having diverticula is called diverticulosis. About 10 percent of Americans over the age of 40 have diverticulosis. The condition becomes more common as people age. About half of all people over the age of 60 have diverticulosis.
When the pouches become infected or inflamed, the condition is called diverticulitis. This happens in 10 to 25 percent of people with diverticulosis. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are also called diverticular disease.

Well, I don't really fit the stereotype; which is overweight, eat a low fiber diet and don't exercise. I do ALL of the above!!

Just wondering if any one you have ever experienced this dreadful disease??

azmom

cbmare 05-02-2007 01:12 PM

YES! ME!!

I just spent time in the ER with it. The last time I was in the ER with it was 2001.

You will have to avoid eating seeds, nuts and corn. That means absolutely no popcorn. That is the worst!

When you start feeling the cramping, change your diet right away. Go to broth for a few days until the cramping stops.

Do they have you on Cipro and Flagyl? I HATE Flagyl. It leaves a metallic taste and is hard to swallow. The Cipro is a big tablet, too, but doesn't seem as hard to swallow. You cannot have any calcium or high mineral foods (milk, spinach etc.) while you are taking Cipro.

Also, DO NOT drink alcohol with the Flagyl. You will start heaving if you do. In fact, do not have any alcohol for about 3 days after you finish the Flagyl.

The Flagyl causes nausea. Ask your dr. for something to take about a half hour before you have the Flagyl if you have this problem. I did.

Please ask any questions you like. I wish there was a section in the Dieting with Obstacles for this.

almostheaven 05-02-2007 03:55 PM

Hubby was just diagnosed with diverticulosis and my aunt deals with diverticulititis. She eats well and is a healthy weight, but...she IS elderly. It can just happen. But if you watch certain things in your diet, as mentioned, you will be fine. Hubby does NOT eat well, but he has at least worked on increasing his fiber intake to keep from getting the diverticulititis. He started eating Raisin Bran and using Fiber Source. Now he's just using the Fiber Source. He went at it full force to start with but when its no longer fresh in his mind, he starts back sliding. I'm gonna jump start him again with a kick in the rump. ;)

azmom 05-02-2007 05:33 PM

Mare,

Yep, both Cipro and Flagyl. Yes, Flagyl is NASTY! Oh well, they seem to be doing their job! Do you have to stay away from strawberries and tomatoes as well because of the liitle seeds?

cbmare 05-04-2007 02:52 PM

I watch tomatoes. However, that said, I'm a tomato snob. We grow our own and can what we don't eat. So watching the seeds is relatively easy for me. I don't like tomato skins either, so I peel all mine before I eat them.

Strawberries are not a problem for me. However, blackberries are. I love blackberries but won't eat them any longer.

You will be OK soon. If you start cramping again, go back to broth for a few days.

Oh, another warning. Don't kick your fiber up too rapidly. You will be in a world of hurt. Sneak up on that stuff. I tried to kick mine up to 50 gm/day and had to knock it down to 25 pretty quickly. I'm hovering around 30-35/day now. I'll be increasing it slowly.

Now, all that said, I don't know how I will be eating next week. I'm leaving on Sat. to go spend my mom's last days with her. I don't know what will be happening with my eating plan or weight. Somehow I don't think I'm going to care. I'll keep avoiding fried foods, but don't know about the rest.