3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   It's all been a lie (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/111219-its-all-been-lie.html)

Newmala 04-30-2007 12:27 AM

It's all been a lie

So..i have a problem. All this time my little scale has been telling me that I have been losing...and that I currently weigh 163. However, I ventured to my hometown this weekend and stepped on a scale at my friends house. It said 170. I figured the scale was wrong. I then stepped on the scale at my parents house and it, too, said about 170. So when I came back to my apartment, I got on mine again, it said 163.

Two of my friends stepped on the scale that I first stepped on and they said it was right, and thats about how much they weigh. What if I really weigh 170??? I weighed 170 about three months ago! This would mean that my weekly weigh in chart is completely off now and my overall weight loss is only 23 pounds and not 29.

:?:

I'm bummed.

redlight 04-30-2007 12:44 AM

By which scale did you weigh 170 three months ago? If it's the same scale that you now weigh 163, you probably did lose those seven pounds.

Are your clothes fitting looser? Have your measurements changed?

Heather 04-30-2007 01:36 AM

Sounds like it's just different scales being different! This is why you should always weigh on the same scale. I use the am weight from my scale right after I wake up and pee.

Any other time of day on my scale and I'm higher... and other scales are all different too!

sockmonkey70 04-30-2007 01:58 AM

I agree. Different scales give different weights. I weigh the same on the scale at my house and at my bf's house, but on the gym scale I weigh 4 pounds more. As long as you use the same scale consistantly, you are losing weight.

doozer 04-30-2007 03:36 AM

Hi Newmala,

I think the bottom line is that if you feel slimmer and your clothes fit better than you definitely have lost weight- it's just a matter of using different scales. None of them are perfect, try a few more and you'll probably get more different numbers!

Even using the same one can be confusing- my scales today (same one as always) said I had gained 5 pounds in 24 hours (I literally yelped in shock :D ). Now I know that can't be right, probably just water retention after the weekend.

So just have a think yourself- if you feel you've lost weight then don't let the scales tell you otherwise.

rockinrobin 04-30-2007 06:01 AM

Scales definitley differ. If you started out on your home scale at 192 lbs, like it says on your ticker and now your home scale says you weight 163 lbs, I'd venture to say that you DID lose 29 lbs. IF you would have weighed when you first started on the hometown scale at yoir friends house it probably would have told you appox. 7 lbs higher then your starting weight or about 199. And you still would have lost the 29 lbs. So though your scale might not be exactly perfectly on the mark, it is still capable of telling you how much you have lost. That's why it's best to weigh on only one scale.

It also depends on what time of day you are weighing. If you always weigh at home first thing in the morning before eating and without clothing, and then you weighed at the friends house with clothes on and let's say in the afternoon having consumed some food and drink that will definitely make those numbers rise - by as much as 5 lbs.

Janie Canuck 04-30-2007 09:18 AM

Annoying. Yes, the absolute weight number may be a little higher. But if you did your initial weigh in on the same scale, you have still lost the amount of weight you think you have. Remember, if it's off by 7 pounds now, it was probably off by 7 pounds at your initial weigh in. Maybe you were really more like 199 to start. Either way, you've still lost 29 pounds, which is great.

GatorgalstuckinGA 04-30-2007 11:30 AM

always use the same scale to determine your weight loss. Don't worry what other scales say. If you started on the one at your home...then use that one. Most scales have some variance. So if according to your scale you started at 193 and lost weight...then you have lost weight. Always use the same scales. I also always weight only once a week at the same time..for me its wed am as soon as i first get up, go pee and no clothes on. Just relax what other scales say.

alinnell 04-30-2007 11:39 AM

Like Robin said, regardless of the scale you stand on you still lost 29 pounds!!! and you should be very proud of yourself for that!

baffled111 04-30-2007 01:08 PM

I went scale shopping yesterday and weighed myself on a bunch of different scales in the store. They all gave completely different readings: the highest said I weigh 148 and the lowest said 130! Needless to say, I didn't buy a new scale. My scale at home is, I think, a little on the low side, but since I have always used it to guage my weight, it doesn't really matter what any other scale in the world has to say about it. Weight readings are just numbers--the real issue is how you look and feel.

ennay 04-30-2007 07:55 PM

When I HAD to buy a new scale I weighed myself on both scales every day for a month and took the average difference to "shift" my weightloss...

then I got pg again, threw the old scale out and decided that was as good a time as any to move to the new scale and forget what my old one said. :lol:

bargoo 04-30-2007 08:13 PM

The best way to drive yourself crazy is to weigh yourself too often.

KnitALisa 04-30-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

the lowest said 130! Needless to say, I didn't buy a new scale
Girl, are you crazy? I would have bought the 130 one so fast. Then stood on it all day, just to see it say 130. ;)

SwimGirl 04-30-2007 11:13 PM

I can TOTALLY relate!! When I had to buy a new scale I found out the difference was 27 pounds, yes thats right, 27!!!!!!!!!!! I cried for an entire day. Here I'd thought I'd lost 33 pounds, but really I'd only lost 6?? I had to give myself a reality check - I did lose 33 pounds, it was just my starting weight that changed. I think if you are consistantly weighing yourself on the same scale THATS what matters. You've done an amazing job, just keep at it!

-Aimee