Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #31  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Riverwatcher,

Don't give up! I'm responding not because I know a whole lot, but because I committed to eating differently just about a month ago too, plus I'm the same age as you. There's hope for us oldsters too. You've gotten tons of great advice from folks with lots of experience, and I bet that if you tweak your plan some, you'll see results.

I will say that weighing/measuring/tracking my food has been essential for me. You might try that. I also know that everyone's different, but I would be starving if I ate what you listed. Not that my calories are very different, they're usually 1300-1500, but because there's just not enough volume/protein there to make me feel satisfied. I feel better with the volume and fiber I get from bunches of vegies and a moderate amount of fruit. I've cut out the refined starches, which has helped me feel better too, and am just generally trying to learn what works for my body. Have you been feeling satisfied and energetic?

Walking 25 minutes is a great start, but it doesn't really burn very many calories. Maybe you could change up your exercise activities, do some longer walks, or go to two short walks? I'm really goal-oriented, plus I've got a short attention span, so I've been making a plan to increase my distance a bit or change my exercise routine every week or so.

Let us know how things are going for you and hang in there!
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

As far as walking, and the calories burned-it completely depends on if you are taking a gentle, slow stroll (2.5mph for instance) or if you are walking at a more brisk pace. (more like 3.5mph) Over the course of the week, it makes a huge deal how much mileage you cover, and how many calories you burn.

If you take a 30 minute walk each day, and only go 2.5mph, then you are covering 1.25 miles per walk-or about 8.75 miles over the week, if you walk every day. If you go the brisker pace, you would cover 1.75 miles at each walk-a 1/2 mile more every day-and that would be 12.25 miles at the end of the week.

8.75 or 12.25 miles...a large difference in the calories burned over the course of the week depending on how much you put into that same 30 minute daily walk.

This is why it is important to decide how much you are putting into your workouts. Everyone can do 20 or 30 minutes of exercise-but you might not be getting all of the benefits from it that you could. For best results, simply put more into your workouts. Challenge yourself with a faster pace, a higher step (step aerobics), heavier weights, etc. You can get better results with less time, if you put more into it.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #33  

Wow! Lots of help and advice here, and I do appreciate it.

I've never been able to get the quote thingy to work, so I'm going from memory here on what some of you have pointed out.

As far as figuring out the calories in my food, I use either an online calorie counter, or I get the information right off the package of what I'm eating. I do think I'm being honest with myself about portion control; yes, the "big salad" really did have only one tablespoon of dressing. The oatmeal...it's a half of a cup dry, then the one percent milk is added for cooking, and a little more on top, for a total of about one cup of milk. As for the white rice, I rarely eat it, in fact prior to last night I can't remember the last time I ate rice. When I don't have oatmeal for breakfast, like this morning for example, I'll usually have two scrambled eggs and a piece of wheat toast, or a bowl of regular Cheerios. As for dinner, last night was beef but tonight will be a grilled chicken breast, tomorrow may be grilled fish.

My scale is brand new. The reason I bought a new one is because the old one gave a different result each time you stepped on it. This one is digital and seems to be good quality.

Someone asked about stress. Um.....yeah, you could say that! Some huge changes coming up for me within the next couple months.

Thanks again everyone!
Riverwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #34  
Ready for a better life!

Hi Riverwatcher,
I'm about your age, 49 (argh!). I am on a 1200-1400 per day calorie watch and closely monitoring my fat grams. Before I started measuring my food and logging it into Fitday.com, I thought I knew portion sizes pretty accurately. But once I started measuring, I found I was making my portions too big. So until you get a real feel for portion control, you might try measuring and weighing your portions (a pain in the buns, I know ) Then I read recently where the more a person weighs, the more wrong they are when trying to estimate portion size.
I know how easy it is to become discouraged, but you are here trying to make a difference for yourself. Don't give up!
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/125

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

Hi RiverWatcher,

I usually just lurk but it occured to me that you might try a different way of evaluating your success by taking note of your measurements periodically. Even if the scale isn't moving, I'll bet you'll see a change in your waist, hips, thighs, etc. Whatever you do, don't give up! Hang in there and I know you'll see results!

Mary
Mary from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #36  

Hi riverwatcher : )

I came in to suggesst a few things, but I see your already doing it. I agree with you that mixing things up is a good idea. Initially, I thought you were having the beef and rice every night and I wanted to suggest perhaps limiting that dinner to 2 nights a week and then on the alternating nights have fish and chicken (and increasing the portion size of fish and chicken to say 5 oz. versus the 3oz.). FIsh and chicken work great for me, especially fish and I hope it works well for you too, good luck with your new plan

Aphil, I am glad you clarified the walking issue. I love to walk, it's a major component of my exercise routine. When I first started, I was walking at 3.0 and after some time it began to feel too comfortable and I gradually increased my speed. I'm walking at 3.5 now and what a difference! It's exactly as you say, Over the course of a week I am covering much more ground and burning many more calories, not to mention, that I feeeel it, I feel the increase in cardio and I feel the burn and it feels good Also, varying my route by adding more uphill courses has helped to shake it up a bit.

Speaking of workouts, I best get moving. I hope you all have a great day : ) Keep up the good work riverwatcher, your diligence and experimenting with what works for you best (particulary your incorportaing the fish and chicken, etc.)...I think will pay off : )
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote