Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2007, 02:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Why are people so mean?

I have a video on youtube of me on my dirtbike and some guy left a comment saying I was fat and slow. I know it shouldn't have bothered me but I cried (still am) and deleted my video from the site. What does someone get out of purposely hurting someone else?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:53 AM   #2  

A sense of superiority to boost their low self-esteem. May the monkey humping jerk rot. Hope that helps you feel a little better.
SeekingBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:53 AM   #3  

Aww, sweetie - that sucks! I'm sorry.

Unfortunately, a lot of people use the anonymity of the internet to fuel their own viciousness - they say/do things online they would likely never have the balls to say or do in real life. I honestly don't know what these kinds of people get from doing it - some sort of sick and demented pleasure. When I see or hear about stuff like this, it makes me feel sorry for these people in a way - it must really suck to be them.

Hang in there and don't let some anonymous jerk get you down!!
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:04 AM   #4  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

What a jerk. I'm so sorry that some anonymous snot left you a mean comment on your video.

In my experience and observation, people who do that are often very insecure about themselves and put others down to make themselves feel better. A friend of mine's sister comes to mind. She constantly made fun of overweight people and said "Geez it's NOT THAT HARD to put down the cheeseburger every once in a while!", etc. She's extremely paranoid about becoming overweight herself, turns out.

Don't let it bother you. This is some guy that doesn't even know you. I know this is easier said than done, so in any case, I hope that you've turned that frown upside down as a result of picturing that guy as the most pathetic creature you've ever seen.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 288/288/135

Height: 5*5

Sweetie, I'm sorry! People can be such meanies sometimes. Like others have said he is insecure with himself. Heck he's likely more insecure in him self that Gasp! A Girl and Double Gasp! A girl with a little meat on her does ity better than Him! Don't let it get it to you! it's like mama always said "I may be fat but you've got an ugly heart- I'm dieting, what are you doing? "
Abbynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:14 AM   #6  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/166/124

Height: 5' 3"

What a jerk. Why do I picture an obese teenager sitting at the computer eating a bag of doritos writing that kind of comment? He did it to make himself feel better. I bet he was jealous that you were out on your dirtbike.

I'd tell you to not let it bother you, but I know how it feels to be insulted for being big. In high school, this scrawny little kid on the school bus would always say "you need to lose weight...fatty fatty!" It was horrible, so I ignored him, but he just got worse. Even his friends on the bus were telling him that that was enough. I was relieved that he got suspended for the rest of the year for bringing a bullet to school.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Don't even bother reading comment for ANY video on youtube. You'll find the most inconsiderate people on there. Sometimes the stupidity of people of people amazes me...and it will never cease to.

-=hugs=-

I always wonder this, too...but we all probably need to learn to not listen to everyone else's comments except for the people who really have our best interests at heart.

Don't even worry about it.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The only way some people can make themselves feel better about them is to mock others. He's a tart with a problem so please don't let his comment destroy your efforts. My brother used to mock me so bad it wasn't funny..... UNTIL that light bulb went on in my brain and I took a good look at him and realized HE'S the one with the problem.

Hang in there sweetie, you did not deserve that
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

What a DIRT BAG!!!!! I am so angry. I can't even imagine how you're feeling. I am so very sorry that this immature moron, poor excuse for a human being left you an idiotic, insensitive comment. Grrr. It gets me so mad. Don't let this jerk get you down. You have done such an amazing thing for yourself by losing so much weight. What an incredible job you have done. You for one can be proud of yourself. Fortunately majority of the population wouldn't do something so horrible. What a poor unfortunate slob HE is. Imagine how crappy he must feel about himself to write something so evil. People like that will find something negative to say about everyone though. Even 110 lb *skiiny* girls. Dirtbag.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

All I can say is, if you post things on the internet, you can expect anything and everything in return. I'm sorry your feelings got hurt, but why be surprised? A lot of really screwed up people hang out on the internet. Stick with your friends--they care about you. Anonymous dirtbags--how can they really hurt you? Do you really care what some nameless, faceless poser says?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 AM   #11  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Stacy, you've received a lot of support and comfort from folks who genuinely care, here. And I do, too. It's unfortunate that someone would be so unkind about your video. What I DO, also, think you should consider is that these kinds of comments are always likely when you do anything in the public view. That's why people who choose to become actors, entertainers, public speakers...have to be extremely thick-skinned. They are rejected at far more auditions than they succeed at, and they are constantly being told, "You're too heavy, too tall, too blonde, too old, too young, too busty, not busty enough"....etc., etc., ad infinitum. And even when they get a role, there's no telling how the public is going to react - they could love it, they could hate it. Celebrities are always being criticized, aren't they? They live under microscopes. If they gain weight, it's all over the media...if they get too thin, we see headlines that so and so is "anorexic", "bulemic", is SOMETHING. Do you see what I'm trying to say? People are critical. It may well reflect their own low self-esteem...there are undoubtedly all sorts of psychological reasons why human beings LOVE being critical of others, but that's how it is. If we're going to put something out there for them to look at and comment on, then we really need to understand what we're setting ourselves up for, and be thick-skinned enough to say...."to heck with YOU, so and so....who are YOU to criticize ME???"
Just my two cents,

Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
All I can say is, if you post things on the internet, you can expect anything and everything in return. I'm sorry your feelings got hurt, but why be surprised? A lot of really screwed up people hang out on the internet. Stick with your friends--they care about you. Anonymous dirtbags--how can they really hurt you? Do you really care what some nameless, faceless poser says?

Jay
Sure, the internet is host to a lot of a**holes but it's also home to a lot of wonderful, supportive people - members of 3fc especially! So I think it's a little unfair to generalise, it just seemed like you were writing off everyone who you don't know IRL and I think that's a bit extreme. Of course, don't listen to the jerks (especially prolific on YouTube!), but let's not disregard the support that's around.
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

senorita, I think it's obvious that I'm talking about commenters on YouTube. That said, you can also sometimes find strange posts even on this site. What I mean is that from reading some of these posts, you wonder if the poster is really telling the truth... The Moderators here watch things really closely, however.

We need to be aware that people on the internet may not be who they say they are, and that in fact, we don't KNOW who they are at all. Sure, folks are really supportive here, but that's partly because we have rules and moderators. Posts that are out of line get removed.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #14  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Stacy
I'm so sorry that someone was so mean!! I know it's hard to look past something like that and focus on all of the positives, but I just want to say what an absolutely amazing job you have done - you've lost 58 pounds! That is a HUGE! accomplishment, and I don't want anyone's rude comment to take away from any positive feelings you have about yourself! You were riding your bike and that is fantastic in and of itself ! I hope you are so proud of yourself for all of your hard work and fabulous results, you deserve to feel good about yourself
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielady View Post
In high school, this scrawny little kid on the school bus would always say "you need to lose weight...fatty fatty!" It was horrible, so I ignored him, but he just got worse. Even his friends on the bus were telling him that that was enough. I was relieved that he got suspended for the rest of the year for bringing a bullet to school.
LOL! People like the jerk on youtube or the idiot in the above anecdote usually do THEMSELVES in..no need to do anything as things have a way of sorting themselves out. Ever heard the phrase "what comes around goes around" (of course you have)?

Keep your chin up luv. Only YOU can let you get upset by what others do..don't give people power over you like that. Be happy with yourself and just worry about making yourself the best you can be, health and otherwise..things will fall into place.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote