Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #16  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I took phentermine & I was dieting & exercising. I lost 30+ pounds. I didn't gain back the weight when I stopped taking the pills. I DID, however, gain back the weight when I stopped exercising (due to injury).

I don't believe that phentermine is addictive. At least it wasn't for me! I certainly felt no withdrawal when I quit taking it. I didn't "crave it" - not the least bit. But I do think that maybe it's a "mental addiction"... that is, a patient may have convinced themselves that they "cannot lose or maintain" without the pills...?

At any rate, I AM a size 12; I weigh 165. I AM 5' 3" - my BMI is 29.5. At this size, I am still jussssssst barely on the "overweight" side of the scale. Just SHY of being termed "obese". Another 10 pounds & I'm pretty sure I'd be termed "obese."

Back to the phentermine.... I've often heard that even if you're successful with phentermine, if you gain the weight back & go on the pill again, it might not, & usually DOES NOT work as well or even at all.

But one thing I do believe - your sister has her own life to live & you can only express your concerns.... you can't make her do things your way.... even if her way is wrong in your eyes. Just be supportive, & try to help her. I know it's tough... seeing someone you love do harmful things to themselves. Maybe you can get her to come here....?

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 03-19-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #17  

Phentermine is an addictive substance; it in the amphetamine family and is a cousin to meth. It is basically the legal form of speed. Just because you didn't get addicted, doesn't mean it isn't possible. I took phentermine and couldn't stand it... i couldn't sleep and was jittery all the time.

To the original poster, if you think the doctor is doing something illegal, then you need to report him to the state board of healing arts in the state which he is practicing. Even if he isn't doing anything illegal, you should still report it because these actions are suspicious and worry you. This is important - if he is, then it goes beyond your sisters health and who knows what he could be doing with other people too.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote