Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I agree there, I think it was closed kind of quickly myself. Of course at this point I think also that it would have degraded the way a couple of other threads have where the good advice was seen as being terribly unsupportive.
I think the situation where the threads that degenerate into blaming the members for being mean and unsupportive did not happen here because I dont believe Rockrz complained about the advice until after her thread was closed. I was just hoping she was reading our replies and getting the idea that her methods are really harmful.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #32  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The Moderators such as Suzanne 3FC have the complete decision on whether to close a thread. They don't do so arbitrarily, in my experience, but only when a poster is going too far out of line from the healthy weight loss approach or in some other way is going against the "rules" we all agreed to when we signed on as a member.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #33  

From reading both threads, I get two impressions. 1, rockrz is now gone, and 2, she wasn't willing to read (or retain, anyways) anything anyone wrote that didn't support her in her chosen way.

I strongly believe that "support" doesn't mean "agreement". If I start doing something stupid, and tell you guys about it, I would hope that you all would let me know I was on the wrong path. Rockrz seemed to have a different view. Not all forums are right for all people, which is why there is more than one on-line community. Perhaps she will find one that is better suited to her needs. I just hope she doesn't end up hurting herself.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #34  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think the moderators were erring on the side of caution. And if you've got to err somewhere - caution would definitely be it.

I also think that through the vast experience they have, they saw where the post and poster were going - NOWHERE. If you look at all the people who sign up, make one or 2 posts and never see it through it is a LARGE number, very large indeed. Or even make more posts, start out all gung ho and then disappear in an instant, never to return again. So when reading a post like that one, again through their experience they knew that this was someone who was more then likely not going to be sticking around for very long.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #35  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

I just want to point out, too, that we're *assuming* that Rockerz is what she said she is - someone needing to lose weight. The other very distinct possibility is that she is simply bored, found this website while surfing the web, and decided to post something to see if she could get a reaction. She may well have enjoyed or be enjoying all the attention this has received. I'm not saying it's neccessarily so - just a possibility to think about, folks. I think I'm going to bet that the moderator who closed the thread has developed a pretty good feel for the way things work around here and knew exactly what she was doing when she closed it.

Having said that, all the responses are very good to see - just continuing confirmation of how much everybody on this site CARES about each other. I feel very comfortable bringing my issues here, and I know you all do, too.

And the INSPIRATION! Amazing! The before & after photos are just fantastic!

Have a great day, all!

Ellabella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

That's a good point. I remember a male poster asking a rather personal, but I didn't think improper, question of me. He was reprimanded, by other posters, and I posted that I had not been offended. One of the moderators PM'd me, if I remember correctly, that this male poster (possibly even under a different screen name, but I admit that this was quite some time ago, and I don't remember the details that well) had gotten very inappropriate in the past, and had to be watched carefully.

It is always going to be a judgement call, and one I'm glad I don't have to make, because I definitely don't envy the moderator's job.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

I can relate to the girl who started this thread, because I've been in her position before. It wasn't for anything bad, but something involved with the topic of sex (I needed advice on something), and some found the topic offensive. I was hurt and mad at first, but after a little thought I understood and moved on.

Obviously, since she can't take constructive criticism or can't face being "rejected" (that's how she put it), she's not ready for any kind of support in the first place. I'm sure once she thinks about it a little bit, she'll realize that what she's doing to herself is bad for her....hopefully it won't be too late....and she'll find her way back. If she's reading this now...I sure hope you come back and find the right way of going about this weight loss journey....you'll be a whole lot happier (and not to mention healthier)!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote