Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Question What would you choose if you could?

I see a lot of people here are struggling with how to begin and why and what motivates and the such. I started thinking about choices.

Let's say we had a say in determining some stuff about us before we were born. I know it's silly but just bare with me. Like we were actually ASKED about certain things. A few examples: What color hair would you like? What color eyes? Would you prefer to be tall or short?

Would you like to be fat or thin? If you choose to be fat, well your life just won't be as happy and your life will be harder then had you chosen thin. You will have a terrible time shopping for clothes, you just won't look as good or feel as good. You very well may suffer from low self esteem, you might have trouble socializing, you just may feel uncomfortable doing ordinary everyday things, like tying your shoelaces or walking up a flight of stairs, traveling on an airplane will be really difficult, you will probably lack energy and a host of other very unpleasant things. Would you like to be fit or unfit? Well if you choose unfit, you will be missing out on a lot. Long walks with friends, volleyball games. Hiking. Rollerblading. Surfing. Playing with your kids. And on and on and on. Oh and you'll probably have a much shorter life span. Being unfit coupled with fat you will be setting yourself up for many avoidable deadly diseases, like diabetes, heart disease and many cancers, just to name a few.

Okay, so now that you've heard some of the bad things (trust me there's WAY more) about choosing fat over thin and being unfit as opposed to being fit you've decided to be thin and fit. Ahh, you've made a good choice. But, you will indeed have to WORK for it. FOREVER. Don't panic. No big deal. It's doable. You'll have to eat the right foods. Mostly whole, you know the stuff nature provides. You can still eat some other stuff occasionally in moderation of course. But that shouldn't be a problem, people have been choosing this option for centuries and it really works!!! And those people have a great and full life. And don't worry, you don't have to be perfect. Slip ups are inevitable. Just don't sweat umm. So you want to be fit? Great choice. You can do it. Again people have been doing it for centuries with great success. They really enjoy it in fact. You probably should be doing cardio at leat 3-4 times a week as well as some strength training and maybe find a sport that you enjoy. Or you can just walk. There's lots of options, you choose. This will not only help you to stay fit, it will help you to remain thin as well. Having chosen the thin and fit option you have just decided on being a happier and healthier and more productive human being, with much, much more joy and way less worries then the fat and unfit. You've just chosen an easier life.

We will never be given the choice of what eye color (okay contacts), hair color (all right, we can dye our hair) or height that we want. But we can CHOOSE to be thin and fit and healthy. And really if given the option BEFOREHAND, who in their right mind WOULDN'T choose the thin and fit option? All right so you gotta work a little. Doesn't that make it sooo much more rewarding? Aren't the rewards so, so, so great that it justifies the work? By A LOT. Luckily we are given the choice, not beforehand of course. Just NOW. Right now.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-15-2007 at 07:37 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #2  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Great post, rockinrobin! Thanks!

Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #3  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Yeah, great post. You're so right. I think maybe we have this impression that it would be easier if we were already there--at the thin and healthy stage--to maintain. But we have maintainers here that can vouch that it's the same deal. Thin and healthy people eat less and move more, period. Plus, who's to say that it *wasn't* decided for me before I was born that I would be thin and healthy, and it's just my habits that have changed that? I was born a month premature at a slim 6 lbs so something has obviously happened since then
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #4  
No description available.

What a wonderful, thought-provoking post. What is most amazing to me, is that most of the damage I have done to my body is reversible. Our bodies only do what we tell them to do.

Thanks for the post.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

rockinrobin That was a wonderful, wonderful post that really gets me thinking. Thank you SOOO much.
GrammyL is offline   Reply With Quote