Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #16  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hang in there Robin!! It's great that you posted here to get some support. Probably why you have been so successful in the past.
Here's my 2 cents:
I think you are right to worry about it continuing. We all know that we didn't plan to put on X amount of weight. It came on little by little, while we weren't paying attention, when we had slip ups that turned into lifestyle changes that were distructive.
But, you know better now. You've come such a long way. You've reached out to get some support and that's what is important. In the time that I've been reading posts on 3FC, you've always been the one who is encouraging others. You know what to say, what works, and have helped so many. I have been so inspired by you! This little bump in the road won't derail you!!! I know it won't!!! You're too important to all of the others that frequent this wonderful place and you're too important to yourself to let it go!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #17  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well Robin, I'm new here, but I've been on my share of diets and I've got to tell you that losing 100 pounds is an incredible accomplishment no matter how you look at it. But, you ARE a human being, and we humans are occasionally weak whether we like it or not. I've learned over the course of losing and gaining probably a thousand pounds over the past 30 years that we can't be rigidly in control of EVERYTHING all the time. Being in control 95% of the time is a pretty good goal, and it leaves you with the flexibility to just say, "Oh - what the h*ll?" every so often, and kick up your heels and eat a damned cookie. So, you ate your cookie, had dinner at your SIL's, and now it's back to business as usual. You'll do it because you've been doing it, and you're going to keep on doing it. Hang in there!
Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #18  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Robin - I could have written this early this week - my bridal shower combined with some hormone stuff right before it and I slipped big time over a period of several days (ate probably 300 calories more than a typical day on Wed-Fri, had a normal day Sat, then had a planned-off-plan day on Sunday at the shower)...again, the biggest lack of control I've had since I started.

How I stopped it: First, I stated to myself, loudly and often, that "I do not have permission to go off-plan, period". Whenever I was looking in the cabinet for something to snack on or whatever, I stated this, and it did really help.

Second, I planned like crazy. Planned out my dinners, snacks, etc. for the week so I'd have a firm plan in place. My planning included lots of "volume" snacks...snacks that had a lot of food volume for few calories, lots of fiber, lots of vitamins. Lots of fruits and veggies, lots of lean proteins, and fairly low on the carbs. Soups and salads for dinner. I was aiming for a "super-clean" eating pattern, taking my multi-v, getting in 4-5 L of water a day. After a day or two of clean eating, my "out of control" snacky feeling has mostly gone away.

Third, I planned the TIMES at which I'd eat all of my planned meals and snacks. It was a little OCD, sure, but knowing that I'd have my planned breakfast at 8:30, my snacks at 11 and 4, my lunch at 1:30, and etc. helped me to manage the hunger over the day.

Fourth, I kept up on my exercise, but didn't stress out too much about adding more to compensate (although I ended up adding more anyway, but because I wanted to, not because I felt like I "had" to to burn extra calories). I kept up on my meals, kept up on my planning and exercise, and things have settled down A LOT, and when I felt like I wanted to slide back into the eating patterns I wasn't happy with, I repeated "you do not have permission to go off-plan". And I haven't since.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #19  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Robin,

You will make it through this! These days just happen to all of us. Just focus on getting through today and getting back on track. Glory is so right, life is messy and we slip up, it's inevitable. Just because we lose control for a few days, doesn't mean that we've lost control forever. Follow through with what you have planned for your lunch, dinner and snacks for today and don't punish yourself for slipping up. We're here for you!!!

jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Thanks to all of you. Really.

Luminous, you hit the nail on the head. It's not the extra calories that are bothering me so much. It was that FEELING of being out of control. I KNOW slip ups are bound to happen. It was just that FEELING that went along with it. And that it could indeed escalate. And quite frankly - it TERRIFIES me. I am no dummy, I know how easy it is to gain 100 lbs - been there done that. I am using the terrifying feeling to my advantage right now. I just can't let it escalate. I DO have control. It IS within MY power. I AM feeling much better. I am so glad I posted you have no idea. It really kicked me in the butt and made me DEAL with it, instead of staying terrified.

Sunshine, you're right I CAN'T go back. I took a few minutes and just stopped and thought for a bit. This is NOT how I wanna live.

Shelby, the junk from the holiday is still here. But I am feeling much better now and it's not bothering me anymore. It IS what started me going down, but again posting here has helped me tremendously. I actually was thinking maybe I shouldn't post my slip up, it's just a little one. But that out of control FEELING was not little. It was HUGE. Like I said, I paused for a bit, reflected and all of a sudden a calm came over me. Very weird. And yes, this has been a learning experience. Number 1, I am by no means "out of the woods" as far as having trigger foods around (and I now know I NEVER will) and number 2 it's not the end of the world or of my journey. Just a small little to be expected BUMP.

Ann, thanks for your caramel story. I am a big fan of the stuff myself. My family looks at me like I'm crazy when they catch me breaking out into dance also. Oh well. Too bad. It works for me. And thank you so much for your kind words. They made me smile and feel good about myself when I really needed it. Thank you again.

ejm, as soon as I was finished making those cookies the remains from the dough went promptly it in the sink and I filled it with water. I did NOT want to scrap the bowl. No, no, no.

Mandalinn, I'm real glad I kept up my exercise. It was the one thing that was keeping me sane and allowed me to realize that it IS different now then in the past. And that's the thing I am ORDINARILY OCD with my planning, including the times. It is was has kept me in control over the past 6 months.

Tammy, thanks for being here. It's very reassuring. I wasn't really in punish mode though, I was more in panic mode. Whatever. Maybe they're one and the same.

Diane, Oh my gosh, thank you so much for your kind words. Very important to me today. I am so thrilled that you find me inspirational. And you're 100% right. I DO know better now.

ellabella, I like that - "back to business as usual" I like that idea A LOT.

Like I said I am feeling much better now. I am sooo lucky to have found this place. I don't know what would have been if I had not taken the time to stop and think and post. Yes, I am feeling as if I AM back on track now. Because I am back on track. Whew. What a relief!!!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-07-2007 at 02:22 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #21  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Robin - you're OK. You're doing fine! Really! - your posts are some of the ones that I LOOK FOR when I'm having a "bad food day".

We all make those mistakes. Errors, Uh-Oh's... whatever ya wanna call'm! But the important thing is to NOT be "out of control." So maybe instead of saying "I was out of control" - admit to your CHOICES. As in "I chose to have a cookie & even some cookie dough. I chose to not eat dinner that night. NOW I CHOOSE TO GET BACK ON TRACK." After all, it's all within our control, what goes in our mouth. We make the choices. We live with the consequences, or rejoice at the results.

I've never felt MORE "in control" as when I admit to myself that I MADE/MAKE THE CHOICES. Good or bad, MY CHOICE. Somehow, it's even MORE empowering to me that I made a bad choice, but now I can make a good choice. In other words, PLAN for failure SOME of the time. Don't let a "bad choice" become your power. For if we say "Oh no I slipped up! I made a mistake!" then we're giving power to the food. The food HAS NO POWER. We have the power. The food is the thing we have power over. Whether we're making good choices or bad ones, we are in control. When your eating gets "out of control" ... the food is not controlling you. You're just making several bad choices over & over & over. And when you're CHOOSING to eat healthy & wise, the food is still not controlling you. You're just making several good choices, over & over & over.

So what's your choice?

Am I making any sense or just blabbering here?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #22  

Look at all these friends you have! That is amazing. You've lost 100lb and are still losing every week and 3.5 lb last week? I don't think you have much to worry about unless you see the scale move up. I have never heard of anyone losing 100lb in 6 mo. That's got to be a record.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I second what everyone else said, obviously, but I just had to post and tell you how proud I am of you for coming here and posting your fears instead of just giving in. Very few people understand how hard it is to stop that downward spiral when it starts, but we do. And you won't go off plan -- it's obvious how strong you are. We can all see it, you know it, and well...it's just a fact! You've lost 100 pounds! You're amazing! A slip here and there doesn't change that. You're not perfect, no one is -- even though you've done an almost perfect job of losing weight so far! It won't always be easy to stick to your plan, no matter how much you know it works, but you'll do it. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, of course, but I just wanted you to know I'm here for you, as everyone else is. You've supported and encouraged us so much, and you're a big part of the success we've had. Whatever you need, whenever -- I'm here for you. PM me if you ever need to talk and we can IM or something -- I won't let you get off track. You're like...my weight loss hero, girl!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #24  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

BeachPatrol, I kinda like that way of thinking. Why is it that I'm IN control when I'm making good choices and then all of a sudden when I make bad ones, I'm no longer responsible for them? Good way of thinking of it. I most certainly did make the decision to eat the so called bad stuff and I can make the decision not to. So, yes you made lots of sense!!

lisamarie, I swear I must meet you one day face to face. I really must. That would be so cool and I think we would hit if off beautifully and become best of friends. That's all.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Robin -- I've been watching you post for a while now and you have reminded me of myself in a number of ways. You've lost your weight more quickly than I did, but something you and I shared was a kind of rock solid feeling of controlfor a number of months. Your sense of control oozed out of your posts and was very empowering!!

But I was wondering when something like this would happen to you. It happened to me. It happens to EVERYONE given enough time. I had amazing control for 9 or 10 months and then things got a little harder and I slipped.

Okay, you might not want to hear this next part, because for me, I haven't had the same kind of rock solid control consistently since then (so it was with a certain nostalgia and envy that I read your posts!). But here's the good news: I haven't gained weight. In fact, while my weight loss has slowed, I've continued to lose.

And you know what? In some ways, things are better. I have to plan and be aware of what I'm eating all the time. But I give myself permission to eat more from time to time and am becoming less likely to think that every little slip is going to lead to a huge spiral. I guess every slip and return gives me more confidence I can do this.

We're in this for life. And life is going to bring these challenges. In fact, life has cookies and pizza and treats. And we are going to indulge occasionally. Sometimes we'll choose to more consciously. Sometimes it will just happen. But through it all we are learning the balance in our lives.

I also wanted to echo your feeling of lack of control. Honestly, that IS the problem, isn't it. I'm fine if I feel like I'm making reasoned choices, but panic otherwise. But again, I'm learning that stuff like that is going to happen and it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to gain back 120 pounds.

Okay, don't know if this made any sense! so,

Last edited by Heather; 03-07-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #26  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Robin,

I can not say anymore to what these wonderful ladies have already stated. You are absolutely in control of your weight. I know the spiraling feeling, I'm certain, we all do. Every single one of us. All I can add is that we're here, as a community to uphold and encourage each other. Thank you for showing a weakness after being a pillar for so many of us for so long. You didn't have to share this, you did, and you made yourself more human for the rest of us . You hold yourself accountable every single day. I see it in your posts. You had a few off plan days, but really, life does happen, we can't always be where we need to be when it's time to eat and we can't always have our food and snacks with us. Frankly, were I confronted with raw oatmeal cookie dough, I would be lost, its a huge weakness for me. I think you handled it well, you had a bit here and there you didn't intend to. It's ok, there is no food hitler standing behind you ready to haul you back off to 2-Ville for having a few offplan days. You've taken back control and it's back in your hands now.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Wow. I mean it... wow. This post is all I need to see to reassure me that there are MANY caring, supportive, kind, and encouraging people in this world. It just so happens a whole bunch of them are on 3FC's!

Robin, I won't even try to add to all the wonderful advice you've been given already, but I will say that I agree with others who say that your posts always exude such a caring attitude toward others (along with great no nonsense advice). Well, I think all that you GIVE is now coming back to you ten fold. Doesn't it help, and also add a certain accountability, that so many of us are rooting for you and cheering you on? When I read your last post, "It is within my power," and "I am feeling much better," I was almosts cheering out loud. I'm just getting to know you, but I know I have been inspired by your success, your honesty, and your encouragement to others. Others have also voiced how much they love (and benefit from) reading your posts. We want to see you get back on track, and it's seems to me that that is already happening. Yea!

Here's a quote for you too (I mess up a lot -- in many areas of my life--so I have this hanging in my classroom to remind me it's going to be ok)

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

P.S. I just reread my post, and I hope none of that middle paragraph sounds like guilt trippish... I sure didn't mean it to sound like you need to get back on track because WE are all depending on you for our inspiration. Geesh. Hope it didn't come off like that.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I had to rush off before I really finished my thoughts, but I also wanted to thank you, Robin, for posting your struggles. I think it's really important for us to share the ups AND downs!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #30  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Robin!

I just got home and read your post and all of the ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS responses that you have gotten from all the dear people here on this site!

I think that each one of us should print out the WHOLE THREAD and keep it handy because the feelings YOU had are sure to happen to EACH OF US sooner or later! Sooner or later we all could REALLY be helped by all of the great responses, too!

After working so hard and so intensely since September, your mind, body and spirit must have just needed to blow out a safety valve. MY safety valve sure would have blown by now, I'm sure!

You have gotten AMAZING advice from so many wonderful and knowledgable people today! I'd like to thank all of you, because you have not only helped Robin; you have helped everyone here who reads this and is trying to lose weight!

I know that out-of-control feeling, Robin! I also know how BIG of a trigger cookie dough can be! To me it sounds like you made a great recovery from it! Like Glory said, it was a practice for maintenance. I thought that was a very insightful idea and have filed that away for all the times I will eat more than I PLAN to eat.

Take care, Robin! Remember that a person can always fall down. The true test is whether they get back up again. You are already up and on your way! GREAT GOIN' GAL!

Hugs,
Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote