Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Default any advice??

I have been struggling with wanting to lose weight for about 6 months now. I have been trying really hard...and yet I am still at my 140 starting point. I know that I am not eating right...and probably not exercising as much as I should.

I use to go to the gym everyday from 30min-2hours depending on how I was feeling, and what I felt like doing...yet, when I was going to the gym, I still wasn't losing ANY weight. At the most, all I noticed was a little bit of a flatter tummy...and that’s it. I felt better, and that’s what was good about this...but I still didn't feel confident in how I looked.

I use to set myself up for goals...such as, "I want to lose 10 pounds in 2 months"...but I would never end up reaching those goals. This ended up making me sad, and just feeling lousy about myself.

I have just recently decided that I want to lose weight again...I want to get back to what I use to be...120. I just don't know if I can do it, and I have come to realize this is so much harder than I ever imagined.

I really want this, I just want to be able to slip into my old jeans...and wear skirts!!! I never wear those cute little denim skirts with my cowboy boots anymore...

How can I lose my 20 pounds with out setting myself up to failure? I haven't really tried a diet before...and so I am going to start the Isegenix within the next day or so.

I am going to start walking outside again, and getting up to do an exercise video...are this good starting points??

I just have no idea where to go, and how to start. AHHH...I just don't really know what I should do haha.

anyone have any advice???
creamy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! We'll help you!
First, I'm going to encourage you to join us in the Featherweights forum
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105558

And as far as the exercise ... there are challenges and accountability threads. Let us know what you're up to and we'll help you find your way around.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/140/120

thanks so much, I am really interested in joining the Featherweights...how do I do that?? Haha...do I need to be initiated!? Just kidding...but thanks for your encouraging words.
creamy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey, creamy10!

It sounds like you haven't tried calorie counting or other ways of watching food. Many of us chicks and roosters here have found that exercise has to be combined with watching what we eat to lose weight. In my case, I exercised a lot for many months a few years ago--and got really healthy--but didn't lose any weight.

Yes, the Featherweights forum sounds like it's worth checking out. Scroll down through the lists of forums and you'll see "Diet Central," I think it's in there. If not, just look around...

Good luck! You can do it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

For me, calorie counting is the only way to go. Obviously you are eating just enough calories for your body to maintain its weight. So figure out how many calories you're eating on a normal day and realize that you will need to cut about 400 or so calories a day to lose. Or you can increase your exercise, but with a moderate intensity workout you're only burning about 140-160 calories per half hour so if you do this regularly you will be able to eat more, but cutting down on your calories is still necessary to lose.

Basically, you need a calorie deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound. If you want to lose a pound a week, then you need a deficit of 3500 calories. You can achieve your deficit either through exercise or less calories per week, but again, you'd have to work out a few hours a day to achieve a deficit by exercise alone.

Many of us log our daily foods into fitday.com to track every morsel we eat. We can then see what's REALLY going on. Its hard to tell what's specifically going on with you because on the one hand you say you're trying really hard to lose, but on the other hand you say you're not eating right and you don't work out that often. Figure out the numbers and work from there.

BTW, I went 6 months without losing more than 4 pounds before I started doing this. If you do things half-a$$ed, you will get a half-baked result (no loss). Good luck
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

i would first recommend reading up on different ways to lose weight. I for instant am counting calories. its working for me. Everyone has their own plan that is working for them. Second you need to weigh every thing you eat. You'd be surprised how much 6oz of food really is...and probably you are eating too much. Next you need to journal everything. It gives you a good idea of how much you are eating...and also enable you too see why you may or may not be loosing weight. Working out is important...you may need to mix up your routine and try different things. Also remember sometimes you will loose fat but not loose wt when working out since you are building muscle mass. so it might help if you take measurements of your body. Finally, with you being as low as you are...your weight will probably come off slower than some of us who have a bit more to loose. Aim for 1 - 2 pounds a week. It may be frustrating...but it works. Other things that i have found that have helped me...but this is just my personal opinion...i have given up artificial sweetners. I have found that they slow my metabolism down, make weight loss harder and just make me bloated. I really do believe there is something not good about them. What ever you do...good luck. There's lots of good advice here and a lot of great support. Hang in there.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I count calories too.
To join a thread? .... you just start posting!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I think I am going to have to strat couning calories too!
I hike a lot and exercise a ton as well as eat really clean.
I probably take in too many "healthy" calories and so I don't see the scale budge. I am trying to lost the last 5 lbs and it is soooo tough!
I would like to join the featherweights forum as well!
This site is great!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #9  
banned

Oh that's great you are trying ********. Awesome program. Worked wonders to get the rest of my baby weight off and my husband lost quite a bit as well. We've found that often times impurities in the body slows down metabolism as well as affects other systems. You'll definitely see a jumpstart in your weight loss and it will also help with unhealthy cravings.

It's so important to eat right and exercise for long term health and weight management.

Please keep us posted on how it works for you!
luvmy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #10  

Just going to the gym will not cause weight loss, because it doesn't really burn huge amounts of calories. You have to adopt a healthy way of eating to go with it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #11  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

I have been stalled on my weight loss for around a year. The reasons, 1 - I quit writing down everything that went in my mouth, 2 - I started saying well I burned 350 calories so I can have this cookie, 3 - I started sneak eating and lying to my hubby about what I was eating, 4 I felt justified in eating because I was/am upset, sick, tired, bored, lonely etc. etc. Mercifully I haven't gained back up to 188 or more, but I haven't lost and it makes me so mad at myself.
Bravelilchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #12  

I am the queen at exercising a lot but justifying in my head that I "need" more calories so that my metabolism doesn't slow down. I only really eat "healthy" stuff but there really can be too much of a good thing! I have decided to keep a journal of everything I eat and eat between 1100-1200 calories a day. I know it is the only way tol ose these stubborn last 5 lbs.
Good luck...we're all in this together. It is nice to meet others who have the same issues with weight.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

hey az mom.....this is going to sound a little unorthadox but, buy a box of ho-hos or some random piece of garbage this week and eat it every day ( not like a wole box, but mabey1 junky snack) you will lose weight, i promise. you need to shake your routine. sometimes when you eat really well, taking a week and throwing some crap in their will actually do the trick. i had a similar problem when i was on ww and i was down that low, so i used to do stuff like that occasionaly, or i would take off for a few weeks ( you know play it by ear, not gorge out) and then hop back on. that will help you through sometimes too. go look around the ww forums, there is some very very excellent advice for beating plateus in there. the only things is that sometimes you need to do some detectivating to find something that works, so be patient.
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #14  

HotDoc,

I don't do sugar but I do love my salty, crispy things like tortilla chips...do you think that would work?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

how about fat? try eating more oils or some nice real cheese with those tortillas. i don't blame you for no sugar.i had kicked the refined sugar habit for a while, i never felt better in my life i had no pms, no muscle pain, and never retained water....it's really hard to keep up 100% of the time though.
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote