What do you do to get your mind of food?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • HEy guyS just wanted to ask what you guys do when you are like getting a craving? I go on the computer or I talk to my friends on the phone or I crochet. Plus if im on the computer I look at girls that have awesome hair, awesome cloths, and nice figures. Keeps me inspired.
  • I find that I get hungry *m
    when I am sitting around doing nothing (like reading or at the computer) so I get up and do something like throw a load of laundry in or put the laundry away. Or if I really need the distraction I will clean out a closet or something big. It is perfect for taking my mind off of food and I have a clean space to show for it!!!

Mellissa
  • I usually do more exercise, or I take my dog for a walk! Good luck!!!!
  • I have to ask myself if I'm hungry.

When I'm hungry there's no kind of ANYTHING that will take my mind off food!

If I want chocolate because some was bullying me at kickboxing then I have to search for the reason I want chocolate and once I know I'll realise that I'm not hungry and won't want it any more.

If I want to eat because I'm bored I usually surf the net, or I go and make a nice cup of tea. It fills me up!
  • I want to eat when I get frustrated or anxious. I find myself mindlessly staring at the shelves. What's helped me is to make sure there are snack foods that I can eat if I just HAVE to--like baby carrots, a certain kind of cracker (counted out portion-wise), some yogurt, things like that. And I try not to think about the foods that I can't have right now. Easy to say, but I've found that the longer I'm staying with my plan, the less I think about them. It does get easier--the cravings diminish.

Hope it helps!

Jay
  • The cravings do get easier, especially if you are eating NO sweets. Also, if you dont have it in your house, you cant really eat it. So i make sure to NEVER buy sweets or "no-no" foods anymore. Not for the kids, not for the husband, i dont care...i hate to be selfish, but if i cant have it, no one in the house can have it. ha ha
    But when i do get a craving for something and i have already had my fill for the day, i will drink something hot...hot tea, sugar free hot apple cidar, hot lemon water...anything hot makes me feel fuller.
  • I either find a healthy snack, sip hot green tea or jump on my stair stepper.
  • i agree with all above suggestions, and also: paint your nails...cause then you can't touch anything til they dry and by then the craving should have passed!

btw, i crochet too! it helps a lot to keep my hands and mind busy
  • take the mutt for a walk...or hang out here and chat for a while (:
  • I pick a project around the house. Now I am painting. Drives my husband nuts. He never like the colors, wants white. I also put together photo albums sometimes. Anything to stay out of the kitchen. Except if I'm painting the kitchen.
  • If you eat properly - protein, dairy, complex carbs, veggies - you don't get cravings. They go south forever if you don't indulge them. You feel a lot better too.
  • Quote: i agree with all above suggestions, and also: paint your nails...cause then you can't touch anything til they dry and by then the craving should have passed!

btw, i crochet too! it helps a lot to keep my hands and mind busy
    I love the paint your nails suggestions. I never thought of that and it sounds like a winner. Usually, I take a walk.
  • I love these ideas! they are great! Usually I try to drink water when i get a craving just cuz i am really bad about drinking enough a day, so by doing this i get my water in and I dont eat bad things!!
  • Quote: If you eat properly - protein, dairy, complex carbs, veggies - you don't get cravings. They go south forever if you don't indulge them. You feel a lot better too.
    Gotta disagree there. Many people can eat properly yet still crave something they just don't get often, something special they have a liking for, or just crave something out of boredom, frustration, lack of sleep, etc.
  • Quote: If you eat properly - protein, dairy, complex carbs, veggies - you don't get cravings. They go south forever if you don't indulge them. You feel a lot better too.
    I was also going to ask if you were really hungry. I've started paying attention to those "craving" times and usually it's almost time to eat a meal.

I have to agree also that when you get the dairy, protein, veggies and all in, the cravings do go away. I made sure last week that I followed the WW healthy guidelines which included 2 dairy servings, protein, fiber and 5 fruit and veggie servings, and not to forget the water and healthy oils. When I did I was full, had a couple of days where I struggled to get all my points in and lost 5.6 lbs. last week.

Denise