Plateau question

• I don't think I spelled that right. Anyway, how much had you lost when you hit your first plateau? I know I'm bound to hit one, I'm just hoping it doesn't happen until after I break my "wall" of 150. What did you do to kick your plateau, and how long did it last? One other thing. If you set mini goals and long term goals, did you meet them when you thought you would? Or did it take longer than you planned? I'm wondering if it's unrealistic to have a goal of a specific weight (140) by a certain date (Memorial Day).

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions.
  • I havent really plateaued yet this time (I dont call it a plateau unless it is zero loss for at least 3 weeks)

I only set goals in very very small increments, no more than 10 lbs. when I meet that one I set the next one. So far I have been early on my mini goals, but this one is gonna be close.
  • Ennay - I set weekly and monthly goals (1 lb a wk, about 5 lbs a month) but they are adding up to my big goal. So I guess that means that I have to make all of my mini goals on time ti meet my big goal. I guess I should do what you mentioned - not set big goals with a daye and just focus on the little goals. It's just that DH and I go camping with his family that weekend and I would so love to be an 8! It's my compensation for not having kids. My 2 SIL's have 1 kid each, and DH and I have been trying for well over a year, and nothing. So making this goal would make me feel that I can at least accomplish something. I know, kind of stupid. But it helps.
  • I'm upping cardio. Ya know ... I used to post that like this cardio yick ptewy Now I don't mind it. It is what I need to get rolling.

You could come and join us in the Featherweights. We're all just trying to get down those last few stubborn pounds.
  • SusanB, you are so FUNNY!!!

Booskibabe--I hit a bad plateau at 180. Right now I'm at another one at 171. But mostly this one feels like a plateau because I'm impatient.

I break up my goals into 3 months at a time. Weight loss isn't a straight line--but over time, it works out. If I had weekly goals, I'm afraid I wouldn't make them because my weight can fluctuate so much.

The important thing, I think, is not to make a goal so strict that you will feel bad if you don't make it right on the dot. For example, if it's Memorial Day and you weight 142 instead of 140, call that a SUCCESS, not a failure.

Jay
  • I wait it out. Seriously, kicking and screaming at the scale, as gratifying as it is....the scale could care less how creative I am with the use of 4 languages. Really, it does not care.

Take your measurements, find a pair of shorts you want to fit into that you already own. Alot of times, a numerical stall on the scale is simply the body adjusting to the smaller size. The tape measure is truly my best friend.
  • Eight month plateau
    Hi!

I had an eight month time where I was the same weight. I attribute it now to a number of things including stress, eating more than I THOUGHT I was eating and not sleeping enough. Now I'm seeing some poundage loss every week. It isn't steady, but it IS happening. I exercise every day and keep my calories between 1500-1600.

Cheryl
  • You know, I found getting enough sleep to be a HUGE contributor to steady weight loss for me. I use to sleep 4-5 hours a night, now I make sure to get at least 6.5 hours. More if I can manage it. Matt and I switch off days on who gets up at buttcrack am with the kids, so we're both getting ALOT more sleep. I think it was on here, some link about the weight loss and sleep. It was informative!