I'm impressed!

• I was a 2% milk drinker until about 6 years ago. I switched DH and I over to 1%. Well, I looked at the jug a few days ago and realized it's got a lot of calories and fat still because the serving is one cup. Who drinks one cup of milk? Not me. I have always heard bad things about skim so I never wanted to try it but I like to have milk every now and then and need something on my cereal. So, today I bought skim milk and it's actually not ANY different then 1% in my opinion.

The bad thing is, my DH won't drink it so I have to buy 3 flavors now. My 15 month old drinks whole, my 4 year old and DH drink 1% and now I am a skim milk drinker.

Sorry for the odd post. I'm just proud of myself for all of these little changes. One day I'll look back and think of how HUGELY these SMALL things have changed my life!
  • I remember the switch!! It feels like an accomplishment...or like you're "really getting down to business" weight wise. Congrats
  • i am and have always been a big milk drinker. Maybe thats one of the reasons I am so heavy. But my mother hates milk, and she is the same size as me. Gi figure. Anyway, I usually drink 2%. It's been told to me that skim milk is nasty, and it tastes like water, but I'm not sure I have ever tried it... what's your take? I might buy a gallon to try it.... but I don't think i'll like it.

Also, I want to say, for all you chocolate milk lovers, like me, WalMart store brand has a really good sugar free chocolate milk syrup.... tastes like the real thing to me. I drink a 8 oz. or 12 oz. glass of it as a treat once every other day or so...
  • See, I was told it tasted like water too. Not at all. I don't see the difference between it and 1%. I couldn't tell you what the change would be from 2% though. I just bought a 1/2 Gal so I could see how it was.....try that. Then you won't waste it if you don't like it.
  • I've been drinking skim so long, I honestly don't like anything else. Even 2% feels like it is leaving a coating on my tongue.

I would, however, suggest your make the change gradually . . . If starting from whole milk, go to 2% for a couple of weeks/months and then to 1% for a similar period . . . skim does take a little getting used to.

Another word of warning . . . skim does not do it for coffee or tea . . . at least not for me. I still put half and half in my coffee. Luckily I only drink two cups a day. Skim is fine for cereal, or drinking, or even most cooking purposes.
  • I've noticed there is some difference from brand to brand. My husband and I only drink skim, but there've been a few times when our usual brands weren't available and the milk tasted "weak." There's also a local dairy who actually carries a 1/2% as well as fat free skim. Their whole line tastes richer than you expect - so the skim tastes like 1 - 2% and the 1/2% tastes even richer.

When I first switched from 2% to skim, I would mix a glass half and half, and use a higher percent of skim each time I poured a glass.
  • That's a good idea. I mean, I have always been a huge milk drinker. My mom has always teased me, saying she was gonna buy me a milk cow for christmas, or tells people I'm like "connect the cow".... She hates white milk, except to cook with.... she will only drink chocolate milk. I keep telling her she needs to drink milk, she's in her 50's and needs calcium now more than ever....

Anyway, I really would like to change to skim, or at least mix skim with the 2%, like what you said above. Does the nutritional value decrease with skim milk?
  • Have you tried Broughton's new Super Skim? It tastes more like 2%, with the same nutrition as skim. Maybe he'll drink that and it would cut down on the types of milk you'd have to buy.
  • My whole family used to drink 2% and now all I buy is skim. My DH has some lactose intolerance and the skim works best for him. I don't have any problem with skim milk. It tastes good to me.