Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #1  
Claiming my perfect life.

S/C/G: 235/229/125

Height: 5'5

Default Telling you about myself.

Ok, hi. My name is Jessica. Obvioulsy. I introduced myself in the introduction forum, but I'm going to introduce myself here now.
I'm 28. I weigh 230 pounds. I'm 5'5. I'm married, and have two kids, 8 and 4. I've had sleep apnea all of my life, but just now started CPAP treatment. Just now, meaning in December, but I've been having my air pressure adjusted, and other things, since then. I think it's all where it's supposed to be now.
I've been gaining weight steadily since I was a teenager. I have also been to tired to do much since then. Doctors insist that being fat causes sleep apnea, and I know that fat around the neck makes it worse, but I've had sleep apnea since I was a baby, (a small baby,) and I'm convinced that it's the other way around. I was tired, I never excercized, and I gained weight. I haven't ever felt like it was possible to lose any weight before. I sleep between 12 and 14 hours a night. I think, in the last couple of days, I've felt a bit better, so I want to try to get on track now, and I know support is a big factor in suceeding. I haven't lost a pound yet, but it is encouraging to see people who have actually done it. So it's not impossible after all, huh?
I asked for low salt, low sugar, no carbohydrate recipes in the introduction forum, and I'd like to ask again. I want to eat things that taste good, and I want to lose weight and keep my heart healthy at the same time.
I have PCOS and high blood pressure, and I'm in danger of diabetes. A lot of my family has had diabetes, and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. My dad is 65, and has had 2 heart attacks recently. I'm really interested in keeping myself healthy. I feel ooooold at 28.

JessicaBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! And good luck to you!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #3  
Strong and Fit

S/C/G: 198/193/150

Hi Jessica!

You have the right attitiude! Keep that going. I'm new here too so let me tell you abit about myself.

Married, mother of 2, 37yo and almost 200lbs. The last time I was this weight I was pregnant with my son almost 10 years ago. I lost a bit but obviously the diet change I made wasnt the key to my personal body maintenence. My body changed to hold on to the fat. My thyroid became barely functional. After 8 months of thyroid theropy, no change in weight. The Dr. basicly said, that is all I can do for you.

I had to stop denying myself and make a commitment for physical fitness, no matter how much I was resistant to it. I am not saying what you should do. I am saying this is going to be a journey. Find what works, what doesnt work. Keep in touch with those who are supportive and avoid those who sabotage your goals. I hope we both find the path to feeling young.
VegasBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Welcome!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sleep apnea can indeed make you very tired. What do the drs. say when you tell them you've had it since a baby? At any rate, losing weight really could help with that--but I'm glad you have treatment!

I hope some of the other Chicks have some books in mind that will provide recipes for you. But also, look around on the site--beyond the forums. There is a lot of information.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #6  
Mel

Hi Jessica! Glad you found us

There is a PCOS forum in the "Dieting With Obstacles" section, and loads of low/no sugar and low/no carb recipes in the SugarBusters, Meditteranean, and South Beach Diet Forums, as well as Ladies Who Lift and Whole Foods. Poke around on the various boards and you'll find all sorts of information and probably a group with whom you'll feel comfortable posting regularly.

I started out in a pre-diabetic condition and had gestational diabetes with my last child also. That's what eventually scared me into losing weight. I initially followed the SugarBuster diet and found it a great way to eat. The ladies on that forum as helpful and friendly if you want to pop in there.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Jessica, I'm sorry to hear about your father. You CAN reverse all of this if you get started now..you're so young! Hey, I'm 38 so I can say that LOL. Any bit of weightloss will feel great to you, you will notice how much lighter you feel and how much easier it is just to get around. Just try carrying 20 pounds in a pack all day and see how much difference it makes.

What helped me dramatically was logging all my foods and drinks in fitday.com so there were no vague guesses about how many calories I was eating. Now I know within a 100 calories I would guess. If I'm eating a lot I still log it, and it really does give you a reality check. So welcome and best of luck to you.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Also welcome to Vegasbabe! Glad you're here
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #9  

This is a nice forum. Now, does anyone know where there is a womens marriage forum? I'm not sure I can concentrate on weight loss after the day I've had.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #10  

Okay. I guess not.

I bought a couple of Atkins books and some other recipe books. I ate turkey burger stirfry last night, and I'm eating Chicken stirfry tonight. I think I may get tired of stirfry eventually. I went to the doctor and got a referral to an ENT to maybe find out why I'm not as energetic as I should be with CPAP treatment, and she gave me a prescription for Prozac, just in case depression is making me tired. Oh well. I guess we'll see. I don't feel like I'm off with a bang here. And I'm fighting with my husband, which is making it difficult to concentrate on taking care of myself. My blood pressure was way up when I saw my doctor today. It had been down for a while... I also found out that I weigh 235, not 230, as I had previously said.
It occurs to me that all I ate for breakfast or lunch was a bunch of almonds. That can't be healthy. Maybe I'll find some kind of structure eventually. I'm trying to get this figured out.
There are too many places to go on this site. I'm not sure what to post and where, or how to go about finding support.

Last edited by JessicaBT; 02-22-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #11  
Strong and Fit

Default Keep Positive

Jessica,
I agree, this is a lovely forum. Glad to be here. Thanks for the welcome Mami.

Jess, you have a whopper of challenges ahead of you. Try to tackel them a little at a time. I am belssed with a husband who can flex with my ups and downs. But, he still is human and reminds me when I push him too far. In those cases, I turn my attention to whatever he is complaining about and get back on track, eventually.

Sorry, I was trying to help you.... um where was I. Oh yea, One step at a time. I think a little success in weight loss will begin a postive cycle in everything else around you. My first 5 lbs was unlike any drug. Euphoria galore! Then I slipped a bit with a binge of cashews. I feel so guilty. It was easy to fall in to the comfort of the well visited depressionville. It's good that I recognized it and took the dog for a walk and tried my hardest to let it go. A day later, I am better and ready to tackle the next 24 hrs.

So, try to relax. Take one day at a time. Go have a smoothie!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #12  
Strong and Fit

Exclamation What a Goldmine!!

MAMI THANK YOU!

In passing you mentioned FitDay(dt)com. I went there and WOW! I cant believe that it all free! My gym sells a tool like that for $400! That tool can help you find out where you are and where you are going, and what to fix about your eating habits, how much better you are at physical activity. LOTS of stuff! Check it out!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #13  

Once again, I had breakfast at noon. I've really got to stop that. I went to FItday.com just now and put it all in, after reading this. I made an omelet, but since there were no omelets in the choices, I entered one egg, one slice of bacon, and one slice of cheese. I didn't even bother to enter the onions... Think they make a difference? Anyway, it said that I ate 840 calories in that one meal. (Is this bad? I don't even know.) It said that the egg had WAY more carbohydrates than I was aware. (Note to self. No more eggs.) And it said that I've only burned 4 calories today cooking and wandering around after my 4 year old. Can that be right? I thought one burned more calories than THAT breathing....
Old 02-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

An egg has 1 gram of carbohydrate. Go back to FitDay and check the Units and Amounts. Sometimes these get entered wrong because of default settings.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote