I have my annual

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • exam tomorrow. I plan on talking to my dr about this weight loss thing. I want her input. Are there any pills you would suggest getting on to get things jump started? Or would that just be silly?
  • I would say that it probably depends on your weight, height, weight loss history and how you feel in your own body amongst other possible variables.

I know some people find it helpful to see a big loss at first. I think one of the things about going at that 1-2 lb per week pace is that you learn how to keep going at it along the way. And overtime, it adds up.

I don't know anything about pills - are they actually helpful in losing weight? The only thing I can think of is when people say that you can only lose about 1-2 lbs of fat weekly, the rest will be muscle, water, etc. - so if someone takes pills to speed the process up, I wonder what they will be losing? In the end, it's fat loss that most of us want.

I'm intersted in hearing what people have to say about this though..

In any case, whatever you decide to do, I hope it goes well and you have a good experience!
  • There are no shortcuts.
  • In my opinon the only way to take off and KEEP off weight longterm is through lifestyle change. Don't worry about "jump starting" your weightloss. The weight didn't come on overnight, it sure as heck isn't going to come off overnight. But with learned behaviors and new habits it WILL come off in a healthy manner. Nothing is as tried and true as eating less and moving more. That's what "works".
  • The only bad thing I see about diet pills is the weight coming back on once you stop. I don't plan on them being a lifestyle change. I'm just looking at something to get me going so it's easier (I feel so gross) to feel comfortable at the gym. I know, dumb reason. I think it's the same with anything...if you stop and go back to the way you were before of course the weight will come back.

Anyone here on any?
  • I really don't think you will find too many people here on diet pills. From what I have seen most people here are into healthy lifestyles which does not include pills. It includes healthy foods in moderate portions with a high nutritional value and exercise. There are no quick fixes. Good things come to those who wait. Slow and steady wins the race. I think you kinda get what I'm trying to say here.
  • Yeah, I do. And I'm not even sure my dr would go for that. I'm just thinking crazy thoughts.
  • We all want weight loss. Most of us, want the loss to be primarily fat. Personally, I want to keep my muscles, I need my bones, and my organs are important. There's not a weight loss pill in the world that can guarantee it will ONLY cause me to lose fat. What can be healthier for my organs, whole, healthy foods, regular excersize or pills? Trust me, look at my starting weight, I SO get the "hurry up fat and go away" desire, but I also get the "Crap, I lost 30 pounds, but once I stopped, those 30 and 15 of it's friends showed up for a houseparty on my butt" deal. Robin said it best, slow and steady wins the race. You'll find the path that's right for you, alot of us started on one plan or other and through tweaking it to match our individual needs, are progressing at a slow, yet steady pace. You will too.
  • ItsAboutTime ... you've come to the right place to toss out your crazy thoughts. See how many people want only the best for you?

Come back and tell us what the doctor said. We'll help you sort this out.
  • I never think anything bad about a large person at the gym, only how awesome they are for being there and doing it! Honestly. And for those who would dare think something bad about a person whose trying to get in shape, you truly shouldn't care about their snobby and idiotic opinion. Best thing you could do for yourself would be to join a gym.
  • Thanks! I hope more people think that way too!
  • Pills--forget about it!

I brought it up with my dr., and he said "You will ruin your health and wreck your metabolism." Enough said.

I'd like a quick fix too, but that's not how it works. Darn it!

I go to the Y almost every day, and there are all sizes and ages of people there. Also all levels of health. One older man who has had a stroke comes there often to walk on the treadmill because he has partial paralysis on one side. So don't let self-consciousness get in your way!

Jay
  • Women's gyms are great - not necessarily Curves (I have my own issues with the political issues they support with their money, including funding some pretty extreme pro-life groups), but smaller, individually owned women's gyms. Most people there tend to be pretty laid back and from all over the spectrum, fitness-wise.
  • Think about it! If you go there, and stick with it, and if there are ANY smug people, one day they'll see you walk in there with a hot bod and you'll be outrunning them on the treadmill!
  • I was a little self conscience at the gym when I started but then I started to notice that .. to my complete surprise... people of all shapes and sizes were way too busy working out and getting sweaty to notice me.
    Now I go there and run on the treadmill with my headphones turned way up so I can't hear myself weeze ...If someone is looking at me funny, I'm too busy rocking out and sweating to notice