I'm Out of Multivitamins...Any suggestions?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I just popped the last one, and it has me wondering (sorry if this is nosy):
    - do you guys take multivitamins, and if so, what type/brand etc?
    - do you notice a difference when you don't take them?
    and
    - are there any specific things that you look for when buying them? (certain minerals etc.)

That is a lot of curiosity for one person about...multivitamins?
  • i take a childrens chewable multivitamin...for a couple reasons:

-it doesn't contain chromium - which i've seen research that suggests it is cancer causing

-the amounts of each vitamin are not so copious that you are left wondering why you might need 1000% DV of vitamin C

-they taste yummy and are easier to remember to take because of that
  • I take a chocolate chewable multi-vitamin. Simply because it helps with my chocolate craving.
  • As a result of reading the below linked report, I have switched to One a Day Women's daily multi. Before buying your next bottle, I suggest you check out this article; it is a summary of a consumer investigation into the actual content of over-the-counter daily multi vitamins. Some contained potentially toxic levels of lead & others contained either way too much or way too little of the vitamins listed on the label. Even gummi vitamins for kids aren't necessarily safe.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16655168/
  • I'm really sporadic with vitamins, I don't take them consistently or longterm. When I do take them, I usually go for the One A Day multivitamin. As far as specifics, I tend to be more interested in iron for the blood and Vitamin C for my immune system. Lately, I've been taking 2-3 Viactiv chews a day (raspberry, lol) for the calcium. I tried the Alacer drink mixes last year, which are supposed to give you more energy. All in all, no, I don't really notice a difference from any of it but, as I said, I don't take them longterm. If I don't catch a cold this winter, I couldn't say whether it's from a strong immune system or just lucky this time.
  • Hmm...I'll have to look into the alternatives to my regular one, I had no idea there were chocolate ones... and I remember taking tasty kids ones not too long ago.

Genesis, thanks for the article, I definitely don't want to be getting too much lead but at the same time, I'm the sort to draw a line in the sand and say "if I didn't eat, drink or swallow what was deemed to be bad for me I'd die of malnutrition!"

Trekkiegirl, thanks for the response. Do you like Viactiv? I was looking at getting some of those just last night? Are they expensive?

Thanks for the quick responses.
  • I take One A Day Women's multivitamin everyday and I have noticed a big difference in energy levels. I also take a vitamin C supplement which helps with my immune system in fighting colds. There are so many supplements out there and you are right to search and find which one is best for you.

Denise
  • If you plan on buying one-a-day women's vitamins, they are sale for $4.49 at CVS this week and if you get the Heart Beat free booklet (in the pharmacy section) you can save an additional $2 by using the coupon in it. I bought some today for me and the men's for my husband.
  • I take a multivitamin supplement and I also take a calcium/magnesium supplement. I know I don't get the vitamins I need from the food I'm eating. I also sometimes take extra C, glucosamine/chondroitin for my joints, and garlic capsules for cardiovascular health. I'm not really good about taking them all, but I do try to remember them every day.

Jay
  • I'm a total child when it comes to multi-vitamins. I eat the chocolate flavored viactiv, which I love, and for vitamins I chew Vitaballs gumballs. They taste very vitamin-y, but I like them and I HATE swallowing pills, so I'll deal with the vitamin aftertaste. I am always chewing gum so it's easy for me to remember to take it, and I'm OK with the tiny bit of extra sugar in my diet because of it.
  • I've been taking prenatals, but getting ready to go back to regular multis. I've done One a Day and whole food vitamins. I dunno, the whole food ones are better for me, but more costly, so I'll likely stick to One a Day. I take them religiously though, along with a daily calcium, and Omega 3. Mom swears by MSM so I got those and have tried them, but frankly, I can't tell a difference.
  • Quote: Trekkiegirl, thanks for the response. Do you like Viactiv? I was looking at getting some of those just last night? Are they expensive?
    They're about $8 for a 60-count box and it says to take one chew up to three times a day. They have 90-count boxes that are about $11 or so. I had a coupon so I used it when I bought the 60-count box. And I just visited viactiv.com and noticed you can print out a $1 coupon there, too.

Yeah, I like them...I remind myself they're not candy because they taste so good you want to just keep popping them. They have a multivitamin brand, too. Right now I've been taking the Raspberry Calcium with Vitamins D & K.

I also just checked to see that I still have almost a whole bottle of the One A Day Women's multivitamin so I guess I should be good and start taking some.
  • I used to take children's chewables, but I switched to One-A-Day Women's...I can't remember exactly why...maybe more iron and calcium! I definitely take one every day, and I do think I feel better than I did when I wasn't taking vitamins.

I use fitday, so I know I would definitely be low on multiple nutrients if I didn't take a vitamin daily. I would suggest filling in a typical day on fitday.com to see what your nutrient intake is like. That may help you decide if you need vitamins or not. Fitday was what shocked me into realizing that I NEEDED to take vitamins! It wasn't a choice anymore.
  • Wow, thanks everyone for the responses! It looks like a One-A-Day Women's is pretty popular... I might get me some of those, then. Thanks for your help, girls

Also, I am going to get some Viactiv calcium thingys, Trekkiegirl..if they taste that good! Hopefully they won't throw me off the edge, though. Eep.

And Tara D, it's funny that you mention Fitday for vitamins...because that's why I originally started taking vitamins in the first place The only things I don't get enough of usually are Vitamin K, phosphorous, calcium and magnesium... But the levels aren't THAT low. I love fitday!!!
  • Sweet Talker ~ Really do your research on vitamins! Check with your doctor if you really even need them.