Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default Does anyone else look forward to exercising?

I ask this because I just overheard one of my co-workers talking about getting DDR (dance-dance-revolution) because he sees that as, if he and his wife use that - then they won't feel as if they're going through the "tedium" of exercise...which they he hates doing...

but that's the thing - honestly - i've realized i absolutely LOVE exercising! it's become...again (i used to work out all the time and took about a year off) - but really - just like it used to be for me a few years ago - it's become again - a part of my life - just like i HAVE to go to work to make money...i HAVE to workout every day to stay fit. And I DONT' look at it like a chore.

I honestly ENJOY working out (for the most part...sometimes I will admit that i'm too tired and don't want to go, yet I still do...) But that's just like work for me (which i love my job) - some days I do look forward to going to work - some days I'd rather stay at home - yet I know in order to make $$ and pay my bills, I HAVE to go to work, I can't NOT go.

And to me - exercise is the same thing. There's really not a choice anymore.

Anyone else know what i'm talking about?
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I used to think I hated exercise. A few months ago I injured my ankle and couldn't do my routine exercise for quite a while and I actually Missed it. I'm not always thrilled knowing I have to exercise, but once I go ahead and get it done, it always makes me feel better. I just tell myself that I "Have" to exercise to maintain my wt. loss, it's not a choice for me either.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I really enjoy exercising. Today I've been struggling to accept the fact that I'm ill and shouldn't go out with my running club tonight. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd want to go out and run, but it's finally come! Sometimes a good run helps lift off all the things I've been worrying about all day, and I feel so much better when I've run that I wouldn't dream of stopping doing it.

Fingers crossed I'll be back out there on Wednesday
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with lilybelle's sentiments, I don't always get thrilled about having to exercise - but I'm starting to find myself enjoying it more and more (esp. since my job promotion, which led to quite a bit more stress - which an evening workout seems to relieve quite a bit! Instead of worrying about reports & projects, I get to see if I can squeeze in that one extra dumbbell rep or doing that extra leap!)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Once I get there I don't want to stop. Today my daughter was home from school because of the cold so I thought I would have to miss. My husband is not much at watching her. But he agreed and instead of my usual 2 hours I went for 90 minutes. I could of done something at home but I prefer going to the "Y".
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

Exercise is almost a cure-all for me....it lessens moodiness, relieves stress and lowers my BP overall, it tightens jiggly parts and makes me stronger....I remind myself of this when i get lazy spurts....(there are times when I just DONT exercise)....then I kick myself.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I enjoy exercising. I like going hiking, I enjoy a karate DVD I've been doing and I love weight lifting. I have an elliptical which I love doing but I do get bored after 30 minutes of it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi IndyChick!

Yes! I LOVE to exercise...NOW! !

I'm a non-athletic type in a family of athletes (marathon runners, throwers, wrestlers, football and soccer players, a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do etc.). I have ALWAYS felt inferior when it came to moving my body around. I took up walking as an exercise mainly because it was cheap AND nobody else in my family did it! I could excel in something on my own and not feel like a loser trying to be a wannabee athlete! I watched the pounds come off and was AMAZED! I didn't have to be an athlete in order to move my body!

As my walking distances increased I actually started to keep track of my miles. A couple years into my walking routine I hit 1000 miles! My family made me a fat-free cake with Cool-Whip icing and a big 1000 written on the top.

For me, that was a real turning point. I had actually accomplished something that none of my athetic family had accomplished -WALKED 1000 miles! I also had a body that was thinner and more in shape than it had ever been. At that point I had lost about 40 pounds and I found that my body didn't seem as stiff and uncoordinated as it had always felt.

After that I moved into all kinds of DVD exercising. I first visited our local library and tried out all different kinds of exercise. Some were for me and some were too tough, but I managed to find a bunch that were really FUN! Richard Simmons was my starter one. I've always admired him for his empathy and laughed with him as he would be so crazy. I got up more courage and added Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds" to my IT LIST. Now I had no excuse NOT to walk when drifts of snow outside were a couple feet high. I could walk right in my livingroom or familyroom, and I could do it any time of the day or night!

After those positive experiences I branched out to more challenging DVDs. Yoga, Denise Austin, Karen Voigt, Chalene Johnson's Turbo Jam and Gilad's step routines are favorites of mine. Ones that I loved I bought to keep. Ones that were too hard, I took back to the library hoping that I might be able to revisit them someday when I was more fit.

Just yesterday I revisited my Suzanne Deason "Balance Ball for Weight Loss". I was pleasantly surprised how much more capable I was this time. I did the hour-long routine again today and could see improvement from just yesterday.

If I would have fast-forwarded a video of me on the balance ball even five years ago, I never would have believed it to be possible. I guess it all is a testimony of coming to terms with yourself.

Once I felt good enough and capable enough and worthy enough to learn something new JUST FOR ME, I then was able to move ahead. Exercise is so much a part of me now that I load up my step, my ball, my DVDs, and my weights when I go visit my mom for a week! If we are away as a family I set the clock for two hours BEFORE everyone else so that I won't miss my workout.

I also came to the realization that I will always have to watch how much food goes into my body, and I always will have to exercise to lose and then maintain the weight I have lost. I NEVER want the pounds I lost to EVER be found again!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

YAY CHERYL!!!! That is so great!

Exercise has become just what I do. It's as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth, taking a shower. I usually enjoy it because I do feel better afterward, and it has made a big difference in my ability to lose weight and my appetite (which is less now). Also in my mental state, my level of relaxation, and general well being. But sometimes I don't feel like going. Well, sometimes I don't feel like brushing my teeth, either, but I do it anyway. That's just how it's become for me! And I'm glad.

Yesterday I couldn't get out, so I put on an old aerobics video and did that instead. It was good for a change.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl14 View Post
Hi IndyChick!

As my walking distances increased I actually started to keep track of my miles. A couple years into my walking routine I hit 1000 miles! My family made me a fat-free cake with Cool-Whip icing and a big 1000 written on the top.

WOW!!! Cheryl, I have to say, i'm JEALOUS!!! That is absolutely AMAZING! That's one of my goals and SOLUTIONS this year (i decided not to make resolutions - but SOLUTIONS instead...)

Usually, my gym routine consisted of going, doing 30 minutes cardio - stretch, go home...

Yet, NOW?...well, for the next few months anyways - I can only walk on the treadmill. (live in indianapolis - i hate the cold...love the outdoors - but only if it's over 70 degrees!)...

My thing used to be - going on trails outside and whatnot...I didn't like it, cuz I thought I HAD to run - which I don't like doing cuz no matter how good of shape i'm in - i just can't run. i get winded and i hate it...but now i'm all about - for now...when i go to the gym - i walk for 15 minutes on the treadmill - then i do my weights - THEN i do my cardio - and if time permits - another 15 min walk on the treadmill.

And I seriously can't WAIT for spring/summer! my boyfriend is also into fitness and i'm gonna get him to start hiking with me here in Indy. cuz i've realized i don't HAVE to run and walking is just as good for ya!
plus, too - I understand the family issues...although mine's a little more backwards...my mom was always a softball player / always atheletic - and yeah, i played sports in my life - softball, taekwondo, ultimate frisbee (but i was NEVER "great" at them...only really played cuz i enjoyed it...) but my mom - who's now in her 50's can BARELY walk short distances without huffing and puffing. :-( SOOOO that's def. motivation for me. as much as i love my mother i do NOT want to end up like that.

But anyways though...I just had to tell you how AWESOME that is that you've walked over 1000 miles. let us know when you make 2000 that is just amazing!!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #11  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I'm in California for the week, and I love exercising here. In Chicago it was to $@#$@ cold to go outside to the gym. I would freeze. Today I took my parents dogs to the dog park and just ran around with them for an hour. According to my HRM I burned 537 calories. And all I was doing was having fun!

If it wasn't for Mom's cooking, I'm sure I'd actually lose some this week...
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #12  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi IndyChick!

Thanks for the sweet words!

Congratulations on your team! I'm originally from Pittsburgh, so I KNOW the great feeling of the WIN!!!

Yes, I was very proud to have walked that long distance! I don't walk as often now because I find that this body of mine seems to have gotten used to walking and refuses to burn enough calories to let me continue to lose the additional weight that I want to lose. Turbo Jam, yoga, step aerobics, and occasional walking with Leslie Sansone (4 mile Super Challenge) are my workouts of choice now. I've also recently added my exercise ball to help me work on my weak abs.

Last fall my husband and I did a ten-mile walk at Presque Isle. He has really long legs, and I spent most of the time walking then jogging to catch up with him. It was NOT fun, and I told him that he may be my LIFE partner, but he doesn't make a good WALKING PARTNER for me!

I had a bad experience falling on ice on one of my winter walks a couple years ago that left me scared and quite bruised and cut. I had to walk home three miles after falling. (Yes, I am very stubborn with an "I'll do it myself" attitude! I probably SHOULD HAVE called home for help!) Anyway, after that I no longer walked in bad weather. We live east of you in the snow belt of Lake Erie, so I know what you mean about C-O-L-D!!! Brrrrrrrr!

One of the other reasons why I knew it was time to lose weight is that our sons are throwers and one venue may be several blocks away from the other. During competitions you need to push it to get from one venue to another carrying a cooler and water bottles, and chairs so you can take pictures and take video. I was having a tough time before I lost weight. Even losing the first ten pounds helped!

You will do great! Keep doing what you enjoy, and you will want to continue it. I mix it up depending on how I feel that day. That keeps everything fresh and positive!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #13  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Not to bring everyone down or anything, but how can you *like* exercising? I hate it with a seething passion. Mostly cause I get incredibly BORED. I've tried a fair number of things, and every time, after about ten minutes, I'm looking at my watch every 90 seconds or so, going "Am I done yet? Am I done yet? Can I stop now? I could be doing my homework...or writing...or practicing my music...anything but this...Have I finished yet?"

Which is why, like your co-worker, Indychick, I'm trying to get into DDR. I've got the pad already, I'm waiting on the game to arrive (I bought online). I'm hoping desperately that this will FINALLY be the thing that can hold my attention and double as entertainment while I'm working out.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Nikaia,

Maybe you haven't found something you like to do yet. Have you tried swimming? Have you tried walking? Have you tried yoga? Have you tried pilates? Have you tried weight lifting? Have you tried hiking? Have you tried dancing? (multiple forms) Have you tried gym classes? etc etc There are so many things out there to do. I get bored sometimes on my elliptical but I make sure I'm listening to good music and as soon as we get a spare tv, I'll start watching tv while doing it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #15  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I have tried: Multiple cardio machines at the gym; bellydance; modern dance; yoga (class and DVD both); pilates (DVD only); walking; can't swim or hike (no access from where I live); weight-lifting was alright, but the only gym I have access to caters to the jock-type, and those boys set me on edge majorly. The issue is compounded by the fact that the only gym I have access to is a university gym, which, while well-equipped, is mostly patronized by skinny chicks who wear makeup to work out, and jock-boys. Not an atmosphere I'm comfy with. I loved dance, but was really self-conscious because I was always the biggest person in the class. So I've been trying to find something I can do at home. Lots of DVDs, but I kept getting bored, like I said. I'm hoping DDR will do the trick for me. It *sounds* like fun, anyway...

Thanks for the advice, though, Nelie. I appreciate it.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote