Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #1  
kamby

S/C/G: 212/212/160

Height: 5'0"

Default 3 weeks no results

I havent been 'dieting' but I have cut back on a lot of things in my diet such as no soda, less fast food, not so many sweets. And I have been walking at least a half mile almost everyday, but yet I still weigh the same. Any ideas?
kamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #2  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Kamby!

Welcome!

Try drinking more water and adding more fiber to your diet. Congrats on the less fast food and sweets.

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #3  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Consider making a plan

Congrats on your efforts so far. Even if you haven't seen any results, you should pat yourself on the back for making the choice to lose weight and eating less fast food. Plus you are on the right track especially with the exercise.

If I may offer suggestion, try developing a plan for losing weight. Pick a particular diet and/or exercise plan and try it out for a week. I started this month by cutting back on fats, rejecting fast food altogether, drinking 6 glasses of water a day and walking with a friend once a week. I fell off and on the wagon a few times, but managed to lose 6 pounds over two weeks. Then I tried the South Beach Diet, increased water intake from 6 to 8 glasses a day, walked a little more, and lost another 15 pounds. You may see more results if you develop a plan, and try it out for a week or two. For me, water really helps curb the cravings, and exercise makes you feel good, so those are two great things to focus on.

Good luck to you. Stick with it, don't give up!
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It depends on a lot of issues. You may have cut back on fast foods, but are you making up the calories in other stuff and not realizing it. You have to burn 3500 cals to lose just a pound. A small cutback would take awhile. Say you were getting an extra 500 cals a day before, it would now take you 5 days of 500 less cals to lose just one pound.

And...how fast are you walking. A slow saunter isn't going to burn up a lot of calories. You need to take a look at your daily calorie intake vs. outtake. You could try plugging some numbers into www.fitday.com for a normal day and see where you stand.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You're definitely moving in the right direction! Yay! You probably just need to do a little more to lose. But, you haven't gained in 3 weeks, and that's good too!

I agree with almostheaven--figure out the calories (there are good online calculators that let you do this--for example, FitDay) and increase your speed a little bit when walking.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Great suggestions. Even if you start simple with writing down everything you put in your mouth and the exercise you do for 14 days. Then at the end check it out and see the not so good food choices you are making. Maybe too much bread, fat free foods can be high in sugar even though they don't have any fat. Sugar makes us gain, just like fat does. You can do it.
Sharon
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I was going to say just what almostheaven did. Track what you're eating, see where you stand food-wise/calorie-wise. Then see where you can cut back some.

Think about upping the intensity of your exercise -- again, you can do that over time.

Getting this to work can take time -- but don't give up!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Definitely track what is still going in your mouth. You are probably still eating enough to maintain your weight, but not enough to gain. Count the calories, see where you're at. Fitday.com is great.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Before you started your plan of cutting back, you may actually have been gaining (a lot of people gain several pounds each year). So by cutting back just a bit, you may have stopped gaining but may not be creating a calorie deficit to lose.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ditto on writing it all down. If you can remember exactly what you've eaten the past couple of days, go back and start there, otherwise start now. Analyze to see how many calories you have. How many calories are coming from whole foods and not processed foods. Once you know a rough estimate on how much you HAVE been eating, then cut it by a few hundred calories (never go below 1200 per day).

Try incorporating whole foods into your diet. Get rid of anything that has hydrogenated vegetable oil in it (most processed foods have this). My doctor told me to stay away from white. I've switched to brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread, ww tortillas, ww pasta. I eat a lot of fresh and frozen vegetables.

Stick with it, you'll lose eventually, but in order to do it, you need to know what you are consuming. Good luck.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamby View Post
I havent been 'dieting' but I have cut back on a lot of things in my diet such as no soda, less fast food, not so many sweets. And I have been walking at least a half mile almost everyday, but yet I still weigh the same. Any ideas?
You're probably still taking in more calories than your body needs. Or, like a couple of the others said, you're taking in enough to maintain your weight. I did the same thing, cut out what I thought were 'bad' foods, went to diet soda, cut out sweets, etc. But once I tallied up what I was still eating, I discovered that even though I was cutting out the junk, I was still consuming too many calories. You'd be surprised how much you're eating unless you keep track of it.

Not so many sweets? That means you're still eating them, right? Nothing wrong with sweet treats now and then, but you need to look at how often you're eating them and how much of them you're eating.

LESS fast food? How MUCH less? It's best to avoid it altogether.

You're on the right track, but you should track your food for a while (as someone else mentioned, try fitday.com) just to get an idea of how much you're eating. Anything I eat I enter it into fitday and stay under a certain amount of calories every day.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #12  

A half a mile walk doesn't burn many calories but it sure a step in the right direction. I can see your problem clearly - fast food and sweets. You need to have NONE not less. To lose weight, calories in must be less than calories burned. Good advice above.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #13  
kamby

Thanks for all the replies, It very well could be eating too mch I suppose. I tend to eat 1 pop tart in the morning (im not a morning person so I dont have time to eat a breakfast before time to go off to work) Then for lunch I normally have a sandwitch and a bag of sunchips sometimes inbetween I will snak on the 100 calorie oreo packs. Then dinner normally varies sometimes pasta, sometimes chicken, sometimes a tv dinner, ect.

I understand diets can be expensive, and right now im on a budget, I dont want to be one of those people who starves themselves.

My workout - I tend to do a 'power walk' for my half mile everyday sometimes I use 1 lb weights in my hands and move my arms, I think im going to change my walk to 'Power Walk' for the first half mile then tone the speed down because when I do the power walk my legs near my ankles hurt alot then do another half mile to total a mile.

I will try to use that calculator and track my calorie intake. Thanks for the advise.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #14  

Kamby - congrats on making the effort to change. I was like you and had no idea how many calories I was eating. I really like Fitday, it's fun to use and easy. Just make absolutely sure you count every single last bite of what you eat when you enter it in that day. Don't "forget" the bag of M&Ms you caved in to at snack time, or not enter in fruit because it's healthy... (a couple of things I've heard of). The key is to be 100% honest with yourself.

Good luck! Check out the calorie counters section under "general diet plans" if you want more support on calorie counting!
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #15  
kamby

I checked out fitday, looks interesting, I will try to keep up to trac with it best I can,what is a good number of calories I should have a day?