New Strategy...

• If you've read my stuff you know that I have some "difficulty" with binging at parties/social gatherings. I am fine with restaurants.

I've tried all the strategies out there I think, and havent had much success yet. (bring healthy snacks, eat before you go so you arent hungry, blah blah blah - those end up in calories PLUS the binge) I know this is something I will have to figure out to be long term successful

But in the meantime...

Its clear that a minor event (friends in for cards every week or so, eat chips and/or dessert) isn't going to derail me much. I'm gonna let that go for now. They tend to be 5-600 calorie over target and I think there is room for that in my life.

But the big ones. Parties, especially potluck style and events like New Years and upcoming Superbowl I have major issues. (2000 calorie and up issues)

So this week I am trying instead of telling myself I will not overeat on Sunday, just preparing by trimming ~100 calories a day all week leading up to it. That and the fact that I have a scheduled long run that day which will give me another 600 calories or so to work with (I intentionally eat extra on long run days every week). So I should have about 1000 calories to play with during the superbowl party. I am hoping that if I can allow myself a fairly significant party allowance I can short circuit the binge.
  • Anne -- Good for you for planning a whole week ahead...Great thinking and good luck!!
  • I think you're on to something. If you have 1000 calories that you can enjoy guilt-free, then you might be able to avoid that 'oh the **** with it, I've blown it anyway' feeling that leads to the binge.

One other suggestion - come here on Sunday before you go, post about your plan and tell us how you're going to feel on Monday when you can come back and post about your success. And then do it! For me at least, making a commitment in writing makes a world of difference.
  • Sounds like a plan! Good to think ahead about what you'll have and how much. Getting the extra exercise sounds like a great idea too. Yes, I'll want to hear how it goes! I'm a Superbowl watcher also, but no big party--however I'm planning the snacks and foods ahead of time!

Jay
  • I dont really know what I will have. Thats one of the challenges of parties for me. I dont know what others will be bringing.

If I have a goal it is to enjoy what I have instead of eating with the sabotage mentality (you dont WANT this, you dont NEED this, you are gonna REGRET this but you are gonna do it ANYWAY)
  • Anne, you could try the 3 bite rule... have 3 bites of only your favourite things and be satisfied and content that you did have them, then walk away...
  • Ilene - I've tried that one too, sometimes I think it makes it worse. I really am almost better having nothing, but I know that wont happen.
  • Definitely sounds like a reasonable and doable plan. I will keep your plan in mind the next time I have one of these functions. That's one of the reasons I love calorie counting!

Something I find helpful is to hold a glass of seltzer (or your drink of choice) in my hand at all times at one of these gatherings. It keeps my hands and mouth busy and it fills me up.

Good luck.
  • Hey again ennay,

Even if you don't know what foods will be there, you know what foods are better to eat and which are worse. Those are the ones you have to limit. Oh, what a terrible word, "limit." As though we can't be having fun unless we can eat and drink without limit. Anyway, I'm sure you know that portion sizes are often a key, so one strategy is to use a plate for foods you eat--in other words, don't just keep taking one chip after another out of a big bowl. Take some chips out of the bowl and put them on your plate. Then once you've eaten all that are on the plate, you're done. If there's lasagna, you can figure out a portion size and serve yourself a reasonable square. With popcorn, same. And eat the foods slowly and deliberately--try not to get into game-nervous eating (eyes locked on screen while hand pluts food in mouth as fast as possible).

Just some ideas to help stop the flow.

Jay