Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 01:04 AM   #1  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Angry Adjustable Gastric Band--My Story

After years of failing at dieting, I participated in the United States FDA Trials for a new weight loss surgery called the LapBand or Adjustable Gastric Band. I am down over 100 lbs a year later and still losing. The band was approved for official use in the United States in June 2001. My insurance paid for the procedure 100%.

More profound than the obvious improvement in health and appearance is the mental liberation from food. I naturally began eating better once I was able to get full on so much less.

My story and before and after pictures are on my website:
http://www.geocities.com/robinh26/lapband.html

Good luck to everyone in their efforts to improve their health.

Robin
Old 10-18-2001, 03:49 PM   #2  
The Rockinghorse Gal

S/C/G: 238/230/130

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for sharing the link to your website--I found it VERY informative, pleasant to read, and a possible route to go. I will have to speak with my MD about it...

You look fabulous, btw!

Kat (fro)
Old 10-30-2001, 07:14 AM   #3  

Fantastic Robin !!! I'm so happy for you ! Thanks for sharing ! I'll definately keep this in mind !!! Take care, Denise
Old 10-30-2001, 12:04 PM   #4  
Dancing those pounds away

I saw you post this same story a month or so ago but you never joined in any groups here. Are you trying to sell this ??
Old 10-30-2001, 04:09 PM   #5  

Hey - I don't care ! I think she looks Great and if this weight doesn't start coming off real soon - I just may try it myself ! I think it's nice to hear from someone who has had it done. It can give us a good perspective. I've heard of 5 people now that have done real well with this. I wish you the best of luck !!! Denise
Old 10-30-2001, 11:29 PM   #6  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Default No Alterior Motives

Actually, I didn't post this same story a month ago--this is the original post.

How can I sell this? ROFL My insurance paid for this procedure 100%. I just wanted to share my story because I could relate to being 300+ pounds and just very sick and tired of dieting. I've never been a "normal" weight my entire adult life and this LapBand gave me that opportunity and without it I'd probably be even heavier, more depressed and more desperate.

I'm sorry if I seem suspicious, I just don't really have much to contribute to dieting posts. Because I don't diet. In fact, I cringe when I see people actively denying themselves things or lamenting over their weakness, their lack of control. I feel so bad for them--I want to tell them there's a better way and that no, they're not morally inferior or lacking of character. It's really REALLY hard to lose weight, especially when you cross into the 100+ pound or more range of being overweight.

As for joining groups, I don't understand--I've posted reponses to people here or there when I've had something relevant. Sorry I'm new to these boards and I'm not altogether sure how they work other than how to post.

Robin :-)
Old 10-30-2001, 11:46 PM   #7  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Default Before I forget

Denise,

Thank you for the compliments, it's been a long journey.

I mean to add some links to add some credibility to what I'm saying but I was so distraught that someone thought my intentions were anything other than pure that I got distracted LOL.

An article about the LapBand appeared in USAToday yesterday. Here is the link:http://www.usatoday.com/news/healths...0-29-kiley.htm

Here is the main Bandsters sight:
http://www.thebandsters.com

And here is the email support group I belong to with people from all over the world that have had the procedure:
http://*************.com/group/Bandsters

I've never regretted my decision. Not for a second.

Robin
Old 10-31-2001, 12:39 AM   #8  
Dancing those pounds away

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not criticizing you in any way. I was just asking.
In the past these boards have sometimes been used to sell their diet products. That is not allowed on these boards. Many people work off of commission for bringing in new patients.

I am happy you found a solution for yourself. That is what we all want.... a solution to our weight problem. You sound very happy and very sincere. And I agree... you look GREAT. I also agree that it is one more option for those suffering from obesity.

I hope you post more often and share more about yourself with all of us. Again I apologize for the misunderstanding. I truly did not mean to come across criticizing... only to ask.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:15 PM   #9  

Hi Robin and Tocute2befat ! Thanks for the additional info ! I'm printing it off for future reference ! If something doesn't start working soon - I'll definately be checking into this !!! I may have to ask you some more questions at that time ? Please stay around here and keep in touch ! Take care, Denise
Old 10-31-2001, 11:41 PM   #10  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Default Many Thanks

Thanks 2cute2befat :-). You seem to really help people on this board. I understand your suspicions--I run an insurance approval list and have had spammers galore try to sneak in. I guess it never occured to me that people get commissions on referrals--if that was the case I'd have a 2nd income! LOL

Denise, good luck with whatever you decide :-). Here is my emaill for future reference, you are always welcome to email me at anytime: [email protected].

I'm soooo close to breaking the 200 barrier--207! I haven't seen 199 since I was 17 <sigh>. Tonight I managed to eat 4 pieces of Halloween candy and the funny thing is, they made me SO thirsty I probably drank a gallon of water afterwards. Funny how drastically things change--I used to buy several bags just for myself!--and that was just last year!

Well, Happy Halloween everyone and a prayer for everyone's safety tonight.

Robin
(it's getting late!)
Old 11-01-2001, 07:11 AM   #11  

Thanks Robin !!! I'd sure like to know if my insurance would cover it ? Is it true that you're supposed to be 100 lbs. overweight ? I'd hate to have to GAIN back some weight... just to make that requirement ! I'll check out the insurance info on your site when I get a chance. Thanks again for sharing your story with us ! Take care, Denise
Old 11-01-2001, 03:42 PM   #12  
The Rockinghorse Gal

Hi again.

I'm wondering in Medicaid would pay for this--have any of you heard of such a happening? The Lapband is no longer an experimental procedure--it now has full FDA approval.
I'm amongst the working poor, so I have Medicaid as my only insurance, but in the long term it would save them a TON of medical expenses if I could get this tonnage off!
Old 11-02-2001, 05:45 PM   #13  
Lapband 8/24/00 -120lbs

Default Insurance Issues

Denise: The general rule of thumb is a BMI of 40 or higher OR a BMI of 35+ with 2 or more co-morbidities. It's usually pretty easy to trump up a couple of outside complaints although co-morbidities are not uncommon with morbid obesity anyhow. Quite a few people with lower BMI's have gone to Mexico to have it done. There are doctors there that are excellent and the prices are reasonable.

Kat: If I were you I would get proactive and start doing some research. Find out which doctors are in your area (to to http://www.thebandsters.com and click doctors or contact Bioenterics). Call the doctors offices and find out if they accept Medicaid. If they don't think you'll be approved, find out if you can at least attempt it. Then get aggressive in building your case. Anything can be done with some tenaciousness but you have to get the ball rolling. Get your referral from your primary care physician. Don't fear the process. Do your research and fight your battle armed. I know that Medi-CARE has approved it and who knows? You may pave the way for anyone else with Medicaid and makes it possible for others to access the surgery.

Good luck :-)
Robin
Old 11-03-2001, 10:49 AM   #14  

Thanks again Robin for the very useful info !!! I'll print it off and work on trying to meet their requirements. Can you give us some idea ? about the possible side effects or dangers to getting the surgery ? I'm sure it's quite safe or it wouldn't have been approved. Right ? TTUL ! Thanks again ! Denise p.s. Also maybe some idea about what you had to go thru to prepare for it ? Classes etc....
Old 11-05-2001, 06:10 PM   #15  
The Rockinghorse Gal

I am collecting information and copies of scientific studies to better arm myself for battle with the insurance company and to educate my physician. I've brought her literature before pertaining to (then) experimental drug regimes and she was very receptive. I just got together a ten or twelve study packet, highlighted key points, dropped it off a week ahead of time, and made an appointment to discuss it with her. She liked that I was pro-active and that I took the time to research it for her, as she was unfamiliar with it. Hopefully, this will be something she feels she can refer me for so that then its a battle with Medicaid.
Closed Thread