I could really use a friend right now

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have not been posting for awhile. I lost 19 lbs last year. I actually lost 25 but then I injured my knee. Then I had to stop walking and I gained back 6 lbs. Very depressing, I know. I am ready to start the knew year off with more weight loss. I am confused about how to do it. I don't have money to join a "health club" or any "weight loss clubs". I have been unable to work since 2004. Things are a little tight with just my husband working. We are trying to pay off the debt that was accumulated when we both were working. Anyways, I need some help in figuring out how to lose this weight the most effective way. I also could use a friend to give me support on a daily basis. So if your willing to help me PLEASE DO.
  • for you, scalewatcher. That's great that out of those 25 lbs you lost, you only gained 6 so that means you still lost 19 lb!!! That's QUITE an accomplishment so you should be proud of yourself. I'm proud of you...

Right now, your life seems to be pretty hectic what with all you've mentioned. Just remember to take it one step at a time and to come here for all the support you need! We're there for you!
  • I don't have money for a gym either. I was lucky enough to get an exercise bike and weight lifting machine for my birthday/and DH's birthday. Losing weight on a budget is pretty hard but very possible. I would suggest walking or work out videos for exercise. Make sure you come here to 3fc, it is the biggest help I have had.
  • ARe you able to do any walking at all? If so, take many small walks during the day if you can't do lengthy walks. If you can't walk maybe you can try doing some yoga, it's lowimpact and it requires a lot of muscle control and concentration. Also watch how much you eat, really pay attention to your prtion sizes and don't skip meals because it can cause your body to store calories because it will think its starving. Don't swear completely off foods you love ebcause then it will cause feeling of resentment and can cause you to burn out ad bingeing, just don't over indulge. Most of all don't give up on yourself...if you slip you slip, admit it to yourself and start over immediately, not the next day, one slip up won't ruin your diet if you are vigilant in your fight for a betterhealtheir you. You can do it...hang in there...and good luck!!
  • I walk and do strength training at home. I got 2 20lb dumbells, 2 5lb dumbells, one of those bench press rods (no weights though, but it's heavy enough on its own), an exercise ball + pump for all of...get this...$5. Yup. They were used (can you even tell?) but I got it at that price because a graduate student was moving out and needed to get rid of her stuff. I found out through a mass email sent out by my university. Is there a university/college by you that you can try this approach with? Also, why not ebay? There's plenty on there that's way more affordable than buying things fullprice at the store. In any case, there's always DVDs, resistance bands and plain ol' walking/jogging that will do the trick. The important thing is to make time for exercise and to make it a number -one priority.
  • ms. scalewatcher! Do not get depressed about 6 pounds, that is about the amount of weight that a maintainer may gain before getting serious and getting back to their maintenance size. So while I realize you are looking to keep losing, at least you're getting back on track before things got out of hand.

What did you do to lose the 25 lbs? That sounds like a good starting point.

Walking is always free and easy on the body. DVDs are fairly inexpensive and so are dumbells to do some strength training at home. Sounds like you just need some motivation to actually do these activities, which you already know are available. Whole unprocessed foods are often cheaper than processed unhealthy stuff (like sweet potato, some cheap veggies like carrots, brown rice, dried beans..yummy when cooked, on sale yogurts, oatmeal, chicken).

You are looking at the bad side, that you don't have a lot of money. But you have something a lot of people with more money do not have, and that's TIME ON YOUR HANDS. If you can just get back the motivation, you do have the time to do your walks, DVDs, weights, and plan and cook healthy meals. Many of us get home late and by that time we're starving and tired and often less likely to work out or cook a healthy meal. So we all have our handicaps but we need to make do with what we have when possible.
  • Quote: ms. scalewatcher! Do not get depressed about 6 pounds, that is about the amount of weight that a maintainer may gain before getting serious and getting back to their maintenance size. So while I realize you are looking to keep losing, at least you're getting back on track before things got out of hand.
    There are more than a handful of us that have gained a few pounds lately. And I am one! I gained 8 pounds myself since Thanksgiving! I was only half a pound to my (then) goal weight (I've since lowered my goal by 2 pounds).

So don't feel bad about gaining 6. Just get back with it and you'll start losing again in no time! Come back often and give us updates!
  • Thanks Sunnigummie, jcatron243, pugsinflorida, Mami for posting a reply. I appreciate your help and I will try to follow you advice.

I am going to try some of the things you suggested. I am going to go for a short walk now.

Mami -You are right I do have time on my hands but I have alot of physical limitations (disabilities) that keep me from doing alot of the things that I use to do. I also have Major Depression and Severe Panic Attacks as a result of my accident which is one the reason I can't work. I would love to be able to do all the things I have time for.

Thanks to you all I am looking forward to posting with you all again.
  • alinnell- Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to keep going. I look forward to reading your posts in the future.
  • need support
    I don't know if I could give you support everyday, but i will sure do it as often as i can. I want to be serious about losing weight this year. My husband is the only one working too, I am going to school and take care of my daughter. Just don't give up! Think of how good you will feel. I got started because I want my daughter to see a mom she can be proud of and nt embarassed! I do not want her to have to deal with this.Keep praying
  • wannabehealthymom -I am glad to hear from you. I would like to to congratulate you on your commitment. I will be looking for you post.
  • scalewatcher, I am so sorry you are feeling so low. Boy, I know exactly how you feel $ wise. Things are more then a little tight around here. My husband owns a small business and business has been lousy and I do all his paperwork and billings and appointments and so on and it has been really, really rough lately. I also don't go to a gym. And I am managing to get in plenty of exercise. Threre's loads of stuff you can do at home. Sit ups, stretching, dancing, walking and on and on and on. Hopefully your knee will get better.

I think you should be THRILLED that you kept your weight gain to 6 pounds. What with all that you have going on right now.

Hang in there love. We are all here for you. You'll be back on track in no time at all.
  • rockinrobin - Thanks for your post and encouragement. I hope things start picking up for your husband's business.
  • I am also trying to lose weight on a budget, it's definitely tough, we definitely shop differently these days. I've been trying to eat tons of fruits and veggies and since they can get super expensive in the winter months I've been looking at frozen veggies and canned fruit. They are picked while ripe, so they sometimes have MORE nutrients than the stuff in the produce section. Well thats what I tell myself anyways. I also have been hitting up Costco for lettuce, it's so much cheaper and I can make billions of salads!

Just keep focused on the big picture, and congrats on only gaining 6 pounds back. you've still lost 19 pounds, and thats HARD!

-Aimee
  • hi scalewatcher,
    I can relate to you. I am a single mom of two boys so i have very little time and money, i also have depression and want to quit smoking to. So i think we have somethings in common. i usually do work out tapes they are not very expensive and work pretty well. you can also try pilates some of those tape are easier to do and still work quite well.