3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   craving (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/100597-craving.html)

just_a_dreamy1 12-28-2006 11:08 PM

craving

For the last 4 days (atleast), I have been craving caramel popcorn...I don't know what it's called, but it comes in a box with peanuts. The whole time, I've wanted to buy it and eat the whole thing.
I've done so many things to stall the binge. I've had sugarfree, fat free caramel pudding (as well as two other flavors), I've had Christmas dinner at two differant people's houses (involving a lot of chocolate and baked goodies), I've repeated mantra after mantra.
Tonight, I want it again. I barely ate all day, then we had pizza for supper...I did good, kept my calories in check, but all I can think of is the caramel popcorn. I'm being *****y and moody, and I use every excuse as to why I should have it...like, on another post, someone was talking about how they weren't willing to COMPLETELY give up something they love. So, I'm telling myself that one time eating the box isn't going to kill me - it probably won't even cause me to gain weight. But I ate 5 tarts yesterday, and I promised myself that today would be my treat-free day to make up for it.
I honestly don't know what to do! I'm starting to think that just buying the damn box and eating it would be the best option, but then I would hate myself and consider myself cheap. ARGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obsidianbbw 12-28-2006 11:27 PM

Ok this might help, but I am a cookie jar person. Meaning if you tell I can have (insert food hear) I automatically want it. So I am wondering, why not have the box (1 box) so you can move on? Would you have eaten all the other stuff if you had allowed yourself the one box? Is this a binge or a craving? To me craving is I want some of something so I eat some and go on. Binge is I want some of something and end up eating like I was starving in the dessert. For me if I give in I can usually be ok, and go back go eating "better".

Ok, if this doesn't help, ignore me and my wackiness.:o

CLCSC145 12-28-2006 11:58 PM

Personally, I have no control when I'm around something I want, but could you buy one of those small boxes of Cracker Jack at the market? I looked up the calories and a cup has 240 calories and 4 grams of fat. Maybe you can find room for that sometime in your week? If it were me, I'd have one bite and be up to my ears in empty boxes of Cracker Jack in no time flat, but you may be different! Only you know what you can handle...

LLV 12-29-2006 12:23 AM

Eat some caramel popcorn without overdoing it and move on.

Simple as that.

Deprivation only leads us to making really bad choices once we cave. Eat what you crave, in moderation, and put it behind you.

MissH 12-29-2006 12:25 AM

I agree with the others - buy a reasonable-sized portion and enjoy. I did that tonight with ice cream. :)

LLV 12-29-2006 12:56 AM

And DON'T feel guilty for it. Ever.

If most of you are like me, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Are you going to go the rest of your life without ever eating ice cream or caramel corn again? Do you WANT to?

Of course you don't. And you shouldn't HAVE to.

When you have a craving, satisfy it. Just don't go bananas and eat a LOT of it, eat enough to get that taste in your mouth and enjoy it. If you have a problem with overeating a particular 'passion', then it's time to teach yourself willpower and discipline. Believe me, it's worth it.

just_a_dreamy1 12-29-2006 01:23 AM

thanks for all the replies, ladies!

the whole issue is actually wanting to eat the whole box, not a reasonable portion. However, alot of the suggestions changed the direction of my thinking - I've gone from wanting to buy the box and eat it all tonight to thinking that maybe if I buy the box, I can eat a little bit tonight and finish it tomorrow, when it will be easier to fit it into my daily calories. That way, I'll get the craving out of the way.

If I had someone to share it with, it would be so much easier, but my boyfriend doesn't really like it.

I went and had a bath after I posted - fell asleep for awhile and scared my boyfriend *lol* So now that I have no makeup on, I've decided that I'm going to wait until tomorrow and just fit the entire box into my daily calories. I realize that it's not really healthy, but I'm tired of wanting it so much.

The weird thing is, the main thing here is that I want sugar - and a lot of it. For instance, if I had, say, half a box of chocolates, that would satisfy me, too. When I feel so out of control and hungry for it, I wish that I could just shut sugar out of my life once and for all.

My mantra, "Being slim is so much sweeter then any candy," no longer seems to work. I don't look as hot as I was planning on, I feel like I look tired and skinny in some areas, fat in others. I went clothes shopping today and could barely find anything that fit. I'm so good with eating, but sometimes it feels like my only happiness and comfort still comes from food. Sugary, fatty food, and lots of it:(

Then when I actually give in, I don't actually get any happiness or comfort. I just get more unhappy and uncomfortable in my skin.

I don't actually expect anyone to have a perfect fix for everything that I've mentioned. I guess I was mostly just talking to myself, working things out in my own mind. Thanks for listening!

MissH 12-29-2006 01:49 AM

Awww, I can relate to finding comfort and happiness in sugary, fatty foods. :(

You have lost a lot of weight, though. That is quite an accomplishment. :)

:hug:

CLCSC145 12-29-2006 02:03 AM

I've been reading a bit about serotonin and it's relationship to sugar cravings. Low serotonin levels in your brain are linked with cravings for simple sugars and with feelings of depression. The sugar temporarily raises your serotonin levels, which is a "feel good" hormone. But it is temporary. Apparently, some better ways to raise your levels are eating complex carbohydrates instead of simple sugars and exercise. SOOO not as much fun as Cracker Jack, but maybe leaves you feeling better in the long run!

Good luck and try to feel good about what you've accomplished, because it's amazing! You need to make peace with the mirror and just focus on being the healthiest person you can be including exercisinge and eating nutritionally rich foods, and not torturing yourself over a few bites of caramel corn. :) Do all that, and the rest of it will work itself out.

Mami 12-29-2006 06:24 AM

First, major congrats on your weightloss! You mentioned that you hadn't eaten all day and then had some pizza for dinner. Perhaps you are not eating enough and that's giving you all sorts of crazy cravings. Also, you mentioned that you were fat in some areas and skinny in others. This makes me wonder that maybe you're not lifting weights?? If you haven't been lifting weights while losing, and you restrict your calories, you've possibly lost a lot of muscle and slowed down your metabolism to the point where you cant really eat a lot without putting on weight. I've found that once you've lifted for a while, you're able to eat SOOO much more food and still maintain a fairly low weight. That allows you to eat a box of junk ONCE IN A WHILE and not have to worry about it. Any time I've put on weight, its cuz I stopped lifting (and the muscles deplete quickly, though they also come back magically within 6 weeks to 2 months of lifting again).

WaterBottleBeauty 12-29-2006 06:29 AM

If you're really getting cravings that badly, it's a good sign your body is trying to tell you something. We either crave what our body needs or, alternatively, we crave what are body is intolerant to. Perhaps you should go for a food intolerance session- they cost about £50 (about $80 or so, I think) and take about an hour.

rockinrobin 12-29-2006 06:53 AM

I would eat it. You might find out that once you start eating some you are satisfied and won't want the whole box. I sometimes find the anticipation is more enjoyable then the actual event (not just food for that matter). It might be so sweet that you'll be thinking "Ummm, why did I want this so badly?" I don't think you're going to be satisfied until you get your hands on it. Go for it.

JayEll 12-29-2006 07:36 AM

Ladies, I just wanted to add that sometimes craving something just means an addiction. I believe that sugar really does have an addictive aspect. That means there is no such thing as satisfying the craving, except temporarily. I've found that if I don't eat much refined carbohydrate, I don't crave sweets so much. Unfortunately refined carbohydrates includes most breads and certainly pizza dough as well as obviously sugary foods . . .

But I'm not saying that if you are going nuts over something as specific as carmel popcorn you shouldn't eat it. Go ahead and eat a cup of it, probably the contents of a small box of Cracker Jack, and see what happens next. If the craving is then over, it's over. If you are just craving more . . . well . . .

Jay

fiddler 12-29-2006 11:05 AM

I agree with JayEll about the sugar being addictive.

Back when I used to eat the way you eat, I had really severe sugar cravings. Now that I have cut out processed foods and refined carbs, I never crave sugar.

suechef 12-29-2006 11:25 AM

I was just wondering - following it through, what will happen if you choose to not give in to your craving?
cheers,
Sue