Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy I can't do this...

I don't know if I can do this. I started out good, but then the holidays came. I've gained back about 7 pounds that I lost. And I can't get myself out of bed to do anything about it. I just sleep and sleep until about 3pm. I'm getting more depressed about it, and my meds aren't helping. I'm really hoping that once I get on thyroid meds they will help more, but that's at least 3 weeks away. And I don't get much support from my parents. At least not the positive support I need. They tend to negatively reinforce things. I just don't know what to do anymore.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/204/150

Height: 5"8'

Be nice to yourself, you deserve it. Forgive yourself (easier said than done but this is important!). Put yesterday behind you and brush yourself off, get back up, and keep fighting. If you can do that, you've not gone backward AT ALL, you've just learned a little more and are now a little wiser, so no reason to fret.

It takes TREMENDOUS courage to keep picking yourself back up. So give yourself a hand that you're here today reaching out for support after feeling defeated and doubtful. It means there's still a whole lot more fight in ya.

You are more powerful than you know. You MUST believe in yourself and your body's ability to heal and get better. I know that there are negative forces out there, and we don't always get the support that we desperately long for. But we CAN control how we treat ourselves, so be good to yourself. YOU ARE WORTH IT.

One thing that has helped me tremendously is to not try to make too many changes all at once. I set goals for each week -- sometimes realistic (those work best) and sometimes I shoot too high. I find that when I accomplish even the smallest goals, like say getting to bed on time or drinking more water, that sense of accomplishment builds on itself gives me the confidence to tackle more goals or bigger goals the next week.

I will say this -- eating good food and exercising has made a HUGE impact on so many health issues I was troubled with, depression probably the biggest one of all. Believe that it's worth it to keep trying, because it is. I have had many, many setbacks (I gained 7 pounds after thanksgiving, that really sucked! lol), but I kept waking up to a new day and never stoped trying. At some point I felt that things "clicked" and I now feel 100% confident that it's going to happen, I just have to be patient.

Hope that helps. (((hugs)))
Akec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Take one positive thing and just work on that for awhile. Dont try to be perfect, just pick ONE thing.

You CAN do this.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #4  
nerd on a mission

Height: 5'6

you can do it, and we can all help you stay motivated. I might not know you, but I believe in you.

pretty much screw what your parents think - you're doing this for YOU, not them. when you get to your goal, it's how YOU feel that matters. you'll have the sense of accomplishment and higher self-esteem.
eightbitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

BlessedBe! Are the holidays usually this hard for you? It sure sounds like it. If you can only do ONE thing at a time, try getting out of bed at a regular, morning time, even if it's 10 a.m. Set an alarm--set two alarms--set one of them across the room so you HAVE to get out of bed to shut it off. Then once you're on your feet, keep moving. You cannot lose weight by sleeping it off--or many people would be very thin!

It could be that the meds you are taking are making you too sleepy. As soon as you can, check with your dr. about the dosage--and any side effects. Seems to me like you need to get that checked out before you worry about the weight loss or gain. This is an awful time of year to try to lose weight--most people are doing good just to maintain. Don't get down on yourself any more.

Hugs,
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #6  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the support everyone. If I only had people around me this helpful.

JayEll-
They usually aren't this bad. Cause in the past I had something to do. Classes to get up for or a job to get up for. But with no classes anymore and no job, I don't have anything to do. And it's not my meds. I've been like this before I got on any meds. This is my fourth set of antidepressants. My doc said if these don't help in 4 weeks that he will try putting me on low dose Armour thyroid. Right now I'm just waiting until then and trying not to go crazy and just gain more weight. I have very low stamina, since I'm not used to doing anything. But hopefully tomorrow I might try something else. Like wrapping my knees so they don't hurt so much when I'm on the trampoline.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: BMI:32.1/27.1/24.6

You CAN do it! Sometimes it takes falling down and getting back up forty zillion times. But keep getting back up!
MissH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #8  

Just take it one day at a time, focusing on each day as it comes, and you'll be fine.
Calejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #9  
Kee

S/C/G: 135/135/120

OMg i know exactly how i feel. I lose about 5lbs and gained it all back and gained more of it back and i like you feel depressed about it everyday. But believe me you can do this. Tomorrow is a new day

Good Luck
Lose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #10  

Eugh. The first person who finds a way to make it through the holidays sane and thin deserves a medal.

I know how you feel with the whole sleeping thing. I'm on Christmas break from uni - I know it's just temporary but 6 weeks with nothing to do can really leave a girl down in the dumps, you know? What I've found helps is writing a to-do list- even if the things on there are reasonably insignificant, at least you have soemthing to work for and get out of bed for.

I would definitely bring up the sleepiness to your doctor when talking about the meds though. Although I can sleep all day with med too, being on them can make it tens times worse. They may not be the only cause but they may not be particuarly beneficial either.
WaterBottleBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterBottleBeauty View Post
Eugh. The first person who finds a way to make it through the holidays sane and thin deserves a medal.
I vote this best quote of the season
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote