Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #1  

Default Microwave popcorn causes cancer

I was alerted to this on another site. I never knew! Popcorn is like a dieters snack friend.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...lth&id=4136582
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

That makes me glad that I don't have a microwave. When we want popcorn, my b/f makes it on the stove the old fashioned way.

I basically decided that anything requiring a microwave probably isn't that healthy.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #3  

I don't know about that. "An acid that can be extracted from the chemical" stuff makes me wonder exactly what needs to happen to make it toxic. How much did they manipulate the chemical to make it toxic.

I mean the FDA did a study on diet drinks and found the sugar sub caused cancer in rats too...of course we would have to drink like 400 sodas a day to have as much as they gave the rats to cause the cancer though! It's all in the way they work these things out.

I'm not too worried yet. The air pollution will probably kill me first! *hehe*

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

In addition to the chemicals that are coming off the bag, the chemicals that make up the artificial butter flavor are so toxic that the workers who handle it have to wear respirators or risk lung damage.

*Glad I don't like popcorn anyway*
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #5  
I need buddies on MSN. D:

S/C/G: 240/159.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow... Good to know. I made some microwaved popcorn the other night and it burned and the smell made me dizzy. I guess I won't be having anymore of that..
snuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I wonder if there is way to find out which companies are starting to shy away from putting that coating on the bags.....mmmmmm......might have to do a search! We don't have popcorn too often, but I don't even want a little of that stuff in my system if it potentially causes cancer
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think you can still buy those microwave popcorn poppers. I would bet (but am not sure) that Robert Redford's popcorn and other organic and healthfood store popcorns would be the first to stop using it (and start saying so right on the box or bag).

Oh by the way, plants that package herbs and spices have to use respirators too, because the tiny particles get airborn.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote