Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #1  

Default Obesity Vaccine

According to the article, it's a ways away yet, but the vaccine would slow down the hormone ghrelin, which helps control appetite.

Scientists take step toward obesity vaccine

What do you all think?
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siena1383
What do you all think?
Anything they can come up with... except self discipline, exercise and eating right.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:12 AM   #3  

It would be very doubtful that I'd give it to my very hypothetical kids, but I'm too fat to turn my nose up at something that might work for me as long as the side effects aren't a bother.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't know, I've been fat 34 of my 40 years, the first five, and about one year in highschool. Traditional "dieting" only made me fatter and fatter each time.

I'm not going to say that I ate like a bird, I had a large appetite, but my hunger never seemed to be satisfied, even when I ate until my stomache hurt, my brain kept saying that I was "starving," and that sensation only worsened with each diet.

I don't seem to have the normal hunger/full sensations as everyone else, and I don't think I ever did. I first gained weight when my brother and I were allowed to walk to grandma and grandpa's after supper (they were less than a block away, mom would walk across the street with us, and watch us walk to grandma's door). Usually my grandparents were just sitting down to supper and they would set plates for us too. I would end up eating a second supper, and my brother might eat a little bit but too, but overall he ate less and was more active than I was, so he never gained any weight.

I suspect that there are many factors that are responsible for my weight, both genetic and behavioral. I've been trying to address the behavioral issues for 35 years, with little success, so I definitely wouldn't turn down a little biological help, provided it is safe and effective. I haven't even rejected the possibility of weight loss surgery, even though it is far from safe, and does not eliminate the risk of regain.

The battle against obesity is complicated, and the treatment has to be as well. A true vaccine makes alot more sense that some of the bizarre weight loss schemes out there. Though, even if it could prevent ALL cases of obesity (highly unlikely) it still will not replace diet and exercise, which will continue to affect health at all body weights.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #5  

Kaplods, I've been fat since I was 2 years old. You should see some of my toddler pictures! I was actually quite underweight for the first two years of my life, and then my grandmother put me on some formula that just made me gain at lightening speed. And then she didn't take me off it even though my doctor told her I was overweight and the formula needed to be stopped. That set the scene for the rest of my childhood. I was drinking Coke and eating ham and bologna straight, on demand at 2 and 3 years old and beyond. What I wanted I got, in unlimited quantities. Then when I got older it was "How dare you not finish your food, I slaved over a hot stove all day long and you're going to leave all that food on your plate?" It was easily 3-4 servings worth of food. Granted she was insane, but she was the exact opposite with my mother... who to this day has never seen anything over 140lbs and is still a picky eater who always leaves food on her plate. I think the old bat made us her personal experiments, but that's another story.

My mother's side is mostly small people. Everyone is short and small to medium sized body frames and no one is really fat, a few are slightly overweight. My father's side however, I have yet to meet someone on that side of the family that is NOT clinically obese. Even my father was 6'5 and over 300lbs. My cousins and half-siblings are all tall, large framed and really fat.

I don't think in my case it's worrying about nature vs. nuture, it is clearly both. I inherited my mother's height and my fathers large body frame and ability to gain weight easily. And I also am suffering the effects of how I was raised.

Add that to having an untreatable case of hypothyroid and fibromyalgia and weight is going to be a beeotch to get off.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I completely agree. My family had alot of bad food habits, but everyone else
was able to get through childhood at least, at normal weights except me (my Mom and grandma had weight issues, but they didn't put on the weight until mid-adulthood). My brother and I were adopted, so I don't know what my biological heritage is, but I would bet that there is a family history of obesity. There isn't any use "blaming" our biology, our upbringing, or our habits, it's a matter of trying to circumvent the detrimental influences and bolster the helpful ones. There are no quick and easy answers, it's just alot of hard work, and a lot of stumbles along the way. And trying to keep a positive attitude through it all (which can be the hardest part - I'm just so TIRED of it all).

I suspect that I have a thyroid issue as well, but since it is subclinical it is also untreatable. Doctors don't want to prescribe thyroid hormones for borderline cases, and I'm concerned even if it were prescribed it would only further throw my system off balance. I also have fibromyalgia, which definitely impacts on my energy level and ability to exercise. My biggest flare triggers are weather (any change, but particularly drops in pressure from storms) and overheating. Since it's hard for me to exercise without overheating, it's sometimes a catch 22. So I exercise, flare, rest, recover over and over again.

I also have a really hard time with hormonal eating about 7 - 10 days every month (I would really consider being "locked up" that week, as my hunger signals get even screwier, and I crave huge amounts of red meat, chocolate, and fatty starches and sugars. Actually crave isn't a strong enough word, it's like a OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

I did fairly well last month by "tooth and nail." Since distraction wasn't helping much, I journaled like mad and spent nearly all of my free time online, posting, reading, and researching. I managed to only gain water weight, which disappeared when the week was over.

Dealing with the cards you're dealt is all you can do, but Geez, this is so exhausting!

Colleen
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Anything they can come up with... except self discipline, exercise and eating right.

We need something to target the area of our brain to CRAVE good stuff/healthy stuff and have a shut off/portion control (that's only half the battle if we are still eating bad stuff).
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #8  

"My biggest flare triggers are weather (any change, but particularly drops in pressure from storms) and overheating. Since it's hard for me to exercise without overheating, it's sometimes a catch 22. So I exercise, flare, rest, recover over and over again.

I also have a really hard time with hormonal eating about 7 - 10 days every month (I would really consider being "locked up" that week, as my hunger signals get even screwier, and I crave huge amounts of red meat, chocolate, and fatty starches and sugars. Actually crave isn't a strong enough word, it's like a OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)."

That sounds SO much like me. This heat is **** on me, but so is bitter cold. Bitter cold activates my asthma, which is under control most of the time. Temperatures extremes are not my friend! Both of them make my body ache. I feel that catch 22 though... it's been the story of my overweight life. But I do what I can when I can and try to take advantage of any good days that come my way, including temperate days where I can get out with little pain involved. I'm planning to move to the Pacific Northwest where the temps are more moderate and the elevation is more tolerable. This thin air stuff is for the birds! I think I'll have more success than living in a place that alternates between Siberia and ****. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help ease these things.

I eat BAD when I have PMS... I really think it's part hormonal but alot psychological. Those comfort foods I crave are exactly that... for comfort. Periods are painful for me, and being on birth control pills definitely help but they don't cure it. I have conditioned myself to think chocolate and fatty foods is necessary while PMSing, as is staying inside and hibernating. But it's not all in my head... how I feel is VERY real and does interfere with my life for 5-7 days a month.

Plus, I'm a food addict anyway and it seems like PMS or any other hormonal/adrenal upsets trigger to me to binge, as does emotional reasons.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafinlySmart
We need something to target the area of our brain to CRAVE good stuff/healthy stuff and have a shut off/portion control (that's only half the battle if we are still eating bad stuff).
I agree! If it were simply a case of exercising more and eating less, we'd all be thin already. It does eventually boil down to that, but how many of us have had to tread through miles of deep seated psychological and/or physiological issues to get there?

My body does not understand "full." It does not register in my brain at all, I keep eating until I'm uncomfortable and then realize that, "Oh. I guess I've had enough." I don't know what full means, and I don't know what true hunger means until I am famished. My cues are all screwed up. To be able to get a clue of what my body is doing, I have to really focus and be mindful of everything I feel. It ends up being the focus of my life, I get obsessed and it all goes downhill from there.

I'm willing to accept that this is going to be a long journey... but if something comes around that will make that journey any easier, I'm going to take it. The only other option is staying fat and if I do that, I'll probably be dead in 20 years anyway.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #10  
Mel

Speaking from the standpoint of having maintained a significant weightloss for almost five years through the same type of eating and exercising behaviors with which I took off the weight, where do I sign up? Maintenance is even harder than weightloss for me. I'm hungrier now than I was when I was fat ( thanks in part to increased grehlin production, according to some articles that I've read) and with a 5 year OLDER body, it's just harder and harder.

I also have fibromyalgia, but find that my flares happen when I don't exercise. Changing the way I ate had a huge impact on my pain and energy levels as well as my weight.

But I wouldn't turn down some hormonal help. I really believe that although our behaviours made us fat, our bodies adjusted and chemically are wired to stay that way. Fighting it is worth it, but hard.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I agree with you Mel. I have only been on maintenance for a month. But if there was a vaccine that could help keep me from regaining, I'd sign up for it. Yes, I am eating healthy and trying to get the exercise that I need. But, I always worry about gaining.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote