Skinny models facing srutiny in Spain

• Just read this item this morning in our local freebie paper:

The Spanish government is moving to crack down on "anorexia chic". Spain's Health Minister Elena Salgado took aim at the fashion industry earlier this week by challenging it to raise the size worn by catwalk models and window mannequins to above size 36 (size 6 American) and by pressuring two top European retailers to stop using razor-thin models amid concerns about the rise of eating disorders in Spain.

One small step, we'll see if it starts something
  • That's a step in the right direction....
  • Wow, that is fabulous. How simple, and hopefully effective. Maybe health authorities elsewhere will follow!
  • That's good to hear. btw, Mauvaisrovx I love your bellydancing smilie! were
    did you find it?

Mel
  • I got it here in the 3fc smilie section. I copied it and then pasted it into my signature. There is a cute yoga one too . . .
  • That's great news! I've wondered about whether this admiration of the ultra-thin-heroin-chic-waif-like models was ever going to end and what would bring it about. I never thought about the government getting involved. I tend not to like too much government involvement, but something needs to be done. It's time people admired the whole woman, not just her bones. Thanks for sharing that information!

Now we need to get the industry to be less strict about that 5'7" height requirement. Short people wear clothes, so we should have shorter models. Ok, I'll stop now before I get too carried away
  • im glad people r starting to realize that real women arent a size 0.