Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default "My Dinner with Marion" - from April 2006 O Magazine

This was a great article, so I was very happy to see that Marion Nestle (author of Food Politics and other books) has this posted on her website for everyone to enjoy and learn from

My Dinner with Marion (Lunch and Breakfast Included)

Some interesting points:

Of course, portion control is stressed!

Marion doesn't eat breakfast (but she's NOT saying that we all should skip breakfast - she's just not hungry in the morning).

She never craves food (lucky!!)

"There's not much evidence that dairy products prevent osteoporosis...pick foods because you like them, not medicinally."

"We're not born liking foods that are bad for us. We're taught that...advertising mainly...junk food is cheap to produce and profitable..."

"One in 8 people in NYC has diabetes..because of junk food and lack of exercise...I wish people would understand that food that is good for you tastes good. Just eat a balanced diet. Nutrition takes care of itself."

Pretty good article!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #2  
No description available.

I am going to hear Nestle at a conference next week. The topic is Marketing and Obesity (or something like that!). Should be very interesting and enlightening! I'll be really curious what is served for lunch. Do you think the conference topic encourages the caterers to think healthy?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
I am going to hear Nestle at a conference next week. The topic is Marketing and Obesity (or something like that!). Should be very interesting and enlightening! I'll be really curious what is served for lunch. Do you think the conference topic encourages the caterers to think healthy?
The *real* challenge is to find a catering service that serves 'healthy' food at these gigs...that is food that people will actually eat!

Sounds like a pretty interesting conference. I'll be getting her book later this month!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #4  

Do you know if she is any relation to THE Nestle folks...of chocolate and baby formula infamy?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
Do you know if she is any relation to THE Nestle folks...of chocolate and baby formula infamy?
She must get that question a lot, because the writer asked her that same question - I think it's on page 2 of the article

She's not, BTW
Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #6  

It is an interesting irony that they both share the same, rather unique, last name. Saves me a silly question at the conference...bet someone else WILL ask it, though.