Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #1  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Leftover pasta (or other simple carbs) are healthier than just-cooked versions

I missed this study when it first came out but just saw it today and had to post it. The resistant starch concept is really interesting; it acts much like soluble fiber in the body. And simply cooling and re-heating cooked simple carbs can apparently partly transform said carbs into resistant starches, and lower available calories:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/150/150

Height: 5'7

I read about this recently, something about cooling it down made a difference. The article I read said that cold pasta salads would be better than warm pasta dishes. Interesting, for sure.

Last edited by LesGetFit; 11-17-2015 at 03:34 PM.
LesGetFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have done a lot of research on resistant starch and the jury is still out. Supposedly, when you cook potatoes for potato salad, let them cool naturally, then chill your potato salad for 24 hours, it will not raise blood sugar. (As a diabetic, that's where my interest lies.) Some people on a diabetes forum did a test on this, and each time they followed that procedure, they could eat the cold potato salad and not get a rise in blood sugar. One of the girls tried chilling the potatoes, then heating them up again and did not get the same results. Her blood sugar did go up. It would not have the same effect for someone who did not have diabetes, as your body automatically regulates your blood sugar correctly.

This is the first time I have seen this information about reheated pasta. This is something new I can research, and also do a little test on myself to see how it effects blood sugar. I would imagine if it changes the carb effect of the food it would also help with weight loss. I love pasta, even reheated, and I do eat it, even though I pay for it afterwards and have to use more meds.

Interesting.

I read over the article again and although they did the test, it didn't say that the people doing the experiment were diabetic. They probably weren't, and I don't think the blood sugar effect is quite as high on a healthy adult as it is with a diabetic. But it might be good enough to be effective for weight loss.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-20-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #4  
it's always something

I think the term 'healthier' is debatable when it comes to pasta, hot or cold. It's still a food that is very low in nutrients, and I don't think anyone ever got healthier by eating it - unless they were very malnourished to begin with. It's my opinion that pasta is okay occasionally and in small quantities, I don't think it's the devil. But news reports like those may mislead people who are trying to improve their health.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote