Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Ted Talk regarding food evolution since the Paleolithic era

Although the title is a bit sensationalistic, an archeologist that studies food in the paleolithic era gave a TED talk and I think it is quite interesting - "Debunking the Paleo Diet" It should be noted, she isn't debunking any specific diet, she is debunking the idea that we can even come close to approximating a paleolithic diet.
http://blog.tedx.com/post/4591417974...stina-warinner

The takeaways are the following:
1) All our current food is a result of agriculture including vegetables, fruits and nuts
2) Paleolithic man ate legumes and grains as early as 30,000 years ago
3) We should eat a variety of foods potentially including legumes and grains
4) We should try to eat seasonally (on some level)
5) We should focus on whole foods and heavily limit processed foods which tend to concentrate calories in an unnatural way
6) No one diet could be used to describe Paleolithic diet

Anyway, it is interesting and no matter what diet you are on, it may provide insight. And she does emphasize that paleolithic man did not have a single diet so I don't see all of us having the same diet.

Although I try to mix things up, I can find myself eating the same foods day after day and maybe I should make an effort to mix it up just a bit more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

That was really interesting. Well worth watching.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks. That was great!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Nelie - I've found the color diet approach to be very helpful in terms of getting variety. It's not a 'weight loss' diet - but an approach to eating and cooking. And darn if it doesn't produce some beautiful plates. For me, it's more a rule of thumb. But I know I always feel better if I'm eating colorful.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandfo...-healthie.html
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know she doesn't talk about meat farming much but a few years ago, I saw a documentary where they said that our beef and leather industries have used selective breeding to become 2 distinct industries such that cows used for eating aren't the same cows used for leather and vice versa because of the breeding utilized to get certain qualities. Thus an eating cow, isn't good for leather and a leather cow isn't good for eating. I know chickens have also been selectively bred to create chickens that people like better for eating.

And even our deer are adapting to selective hunting but in the form of deer with big horns are being selected out due to hunters favoring them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/176/145

Height: 5'9"

There's a new book out called "Paleofantasy" that addresses a lot of the misconceptions about how our ancestors lived (or the idea that what they ate was necessarily ideal). I read a sample on my Kindle, and it looks fascinating!
Sanveann is offline   Reply With Quote