Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Default Weight Loss Pump -- a new bariatric device for weight loss

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01..._stomach_pump/

I just dunno WHAT to think...
I know its in trials you cant buy it but what do you all think about the theory?

Last edited by misspixie; 01-08-2013 at 11:58 AM.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

This is insane. It is justifying being bulimic. Sure it's "safer"- but are you serious? Maybe I'm extra- sensitive, having had a few fights with the disorder- but I have to say that I think this is 100% wrong. How easy would it be to go overboard and start pumping out every meal to achieve faster weight loss. Why change your lifestyle when you can just pump out that hamburger? I know it says it will eliminate only 30% of food- but I still think it would lead people to justify eating whatever they want because only 70% of the calories will be absorbed. I think this is so wrong.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #3  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I think it's interesting that Dean Kamen is involved, and because of that alone, I'm withholding judgment/not just dismissing it out of hand. Though I concede it sounds alarming and is perfect for sensational headlines.

I've always felt deeply troubled by permanent body modification for weight loss -- it seems so drastic and dangerous -- but I also try not to judge those who go the WLS route. Just because I can't understand their perspective doesn't mean it's invalid or that I should dismiss it. It does seem like a lot of WLS options can have severe and permanent consequences for one's health, and that is deeply concerning. I worry what the science will show in 20 years.

It seems like this is being explored as a "less-bad" alternative to other existing WLS. So while it sounds alarming and I'm still deeply troubled by it, if it ultimately is a tool for a small subset of people who would otherwise use even more dangerous tools for their weight loss, then... it would seem a very small, ambivalent bit of progress.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/154.6/135

Height: 5'6"

I agree, I don't seen how this would facilitate healthy lifestyle changes. It just seems like medically sanctioned bulimia. I just can't fathom this being an approved method of weight loss in years to come.
CaityCait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Not shocking that the guy who came up with the Segway dreamt this up; It takes away accountability. No one has to change their behaviour, they have an "easy out" for a binge.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #6  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Radiojane -- I find it fascinating that people go "Oh, the Segway guy" and think he's somehow against personal accountability. Fascinating that's a common reaction and apparently he is not as well-known by the general public as I thought.

Dean Kamen is a bit of a mad-cap genius inventor. He invented portable dialysis machines. And for the past 15 years he has devoted an incredible amount of time and money to his ever-growing science and technology for kids organization, that works very very hard to make math and science (and robots) "cool" for kids to be into. (Google FIRST Robotics.) Almost every major corporation that builds/designs things supports it with big money now, as changing the culture around science and engineering is going to be a vital if we want to produce a sufficiently educated and trained workforce. Plus getting kids to build robots that compete at sporting event-like atmospheres is just fun!

Sorry for the tangent. But I'd suggest reading up on him more if you're inclined to view him as someone who's simply trying to help society get to the point of those scooting, sedentary blobs from Wall-E.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

I know all about him and I'm not discounting his accomplishments. But both the Segway and this pump are detrimental (IMHO) to general health and accountability.

Even leaving kamen out of the equation, this is a bad idea. Thank god it doesn't allow more than a 30% removal.

Last edited by Radiojane; 01-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

If you thread my post, you will see that my reasons for denigrating this latest piece of "medical equipment" goes beyond the Segway guy. It's a bad idea wether it comes from Karmen, Steven hawking or lemony Snicket. It's invasive, messes with biological processes and is no different than bridal feeding tube diets. Except that it requires even less willpower.

It's another form of purging. And by the way, the fact that the Segway has legitimate use does not take away from the fact that it is used by a lot of people that have no real need to use it, and that contributes to inactivity. That was my point.

I'm assuming nothing, do not denigrate my intelligence. I don't think we should ban Walmart motorized carts either. Clearly they have a purpose, but they're abused, a lot.

I'm not talking out of my *** either. We actually had to ban segways from the shopping centre I work in. They're the latest trend for rich kids with perfectly good feet.

Now how about we focus SOLELY on this pump.

Last edited by Radiojane; 01-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Not shocking that the guy who came up with the Segway dreamt this up; It takes away accountability. No one has to change their behaviour, they have an "easy out" for a binge.
I don't understand this at all. If someone wants to take on this pump they are accountable to themselves for the results it may havoc on their health. But from my point of view.. it is so much better and safer than almost any weight loss surgery.... I cannot believe that is approved and this pump invokes horror. I know three people at work who had WLS. One had a heart attack -- one practically lives in the bathroom due to the surgery and perpetually looks very ill.

I actually think it is likely not going to be very popular because it only reduces about 30% calories and who wants to go through all that for such a small reduction.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 301/287/240

Height: 5'7"

I agree with danzingurl. This is an attempt to make bulemia mainstream. Very troubling.
katrinakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #11  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Sorry, serious "ewww" factor for me. I do not want to see food that is already partially digested :-(
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: SW 168lbs MG 158 GW 115

Height: 5"0

that is discusting!!! I would rather eat healthy then do that...

after a few minutes of your stomach being empty you will feel hungry again, so you will have to do this procedure all day long and basically starve yourself? Unbeleiveable!1
BridgetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:27 AM   #13  

Are you serious?! This is not good! Disgusting though, do you really think someone will actually do that?!
lulatwhited is offline   Reply With Quote