Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
This is old news. I drink it a few times a year but never buy it myself to have at home.. Gives me UTI's, and working in dental I have seen first hand the horrible damage it does to your teeth. When parents give it to their young kids it makes my head spin but to each their own.
that's the main reason I gave it up - concern for my teeth and bones. Drinking diet soda even just a couple of times a day would start to make my teeth hurt and they'd get really sensitive.

Alot of people lose weight because of vanity (and health ) but try to reason that the diet soda is ok, it curbs their sweet tooth for no calories - but then they ignore the possible health effects and damage on their teeth and bones later which can effect someone's appearance and health just as much as having the extra pounds can.

I now drink alot of tea and some coffee which I know has acid that's not good for your teeth also (still alot less than soda) but I don't have the issue with teeth hurting or getting overly sensitive.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #62  

Height: 5'8.5"

I used to drink tons of diet soft drinks but gave it up and am so glad I did. I did a lot of research and now don't touch fake sugar at all and try to avoid chemicals, processed food, etc, as much as possible. I did a big study on the way foods are processed and... YUCK! I don't just want to lose weight; I want to be healthy, and I am convinced that all the garbage in American processed foods is extremely bad for us. I am also convinced a lot of the food and drink manufacturers *intentionally* add addictive substances to keep us coming back for more. Just my opinion but in doing research I find I am for sure not the only person who believes this.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #63  

I've heard so many back and forth issues with this! I've heard that the mice study is a misconception as the amount of aspartame they were given for their little body frames would by an unreasonable amount for humans to digest. With that being said I still feel like it's unnatural and we still should be digesting it, at least in not large quantities. I think if you are having one of those days craving a coke, go for the coke zero but keep it to one and try limiting these times as well!
Jentry07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #64  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttw18 View Post
But I do believe there are some positive effects in relation to diet sodas.
Such as?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...in-diet-sodas/
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #65  
Thin Person Within

S/C/G: 235/226/160

Height: 5'6"

I have been experimenting with all sorts of teas - with and without caffeine. It takes some practice to change your habits. Once changed, it is wonderful - at least to me it is.
zzBBzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #66  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
I am also convinced a lot of the food and drink manufacturers *intentionally* add addictive substances to keep us coming back for more. Just my opinion but in doing research I find I am for sure not the only person who believes this.
You are very close in your assessment, Misti. Have you read The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler? Kessler is a former FDA commissioner, and his book is eye opening and disturbing. He discusses how the food industry works with scientists and psychologists to manipulate processed foods to keep consumers coming back for more. It's not just a matter of creating a recipe that tastes good.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #67  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzBBzz View Post
I have been experimenting with all sorts of teas - with and without caffeine. It takes some practice to change your habits. Once changed, it is wonderful - at least to me it is.
I agree I mainly drink water, but I also enjoy tea - completely unsweetened. I won't touch artificial sweeteners. Even iced tea tastes wonderful without sweetener if you get a good quality tea.

I retrained my sweet tooth and I stick as close to nature as possible. Sweets are for special occasions.

If given a choice between diet soda or regular soda, I choose water
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I agree I mainly drink water, but I also enjoy tea - completely unsweetened. I won't touch artificial sweeteners. Even iced tea tastes wonderful without sweetener if you get a good quality tea.

I retrained my sweet tooth and I stick as close to nature as possible. Sweets are for special occasions.

If given a choice between diet soda or regular soda, I choose water
Excellent post, Suzanne! Learning to drink mostly water -- with an occasional coffee -- was one of the smartest things I ever did. And once the cravings go away... and as you said, the sweet tooth retrained... you really don't even miss it. I too have sweets occasionally, but not on a regular basis. Since I don't like most teas, my doctor suggested white tea... I got some white raspberry and it is good but I still usually just go for water. AND hot water with fresh lemon or lime is also delicious... or lemon/lime in seltzer. I also like about 1/4 cup of grape juice in a 16 oz bottle of seltzer.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 12-17-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
You are very close in your assessment, Misti. Have you read The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler? Kessler is a former FDA commissioner, and his book is eye opening and disturbing. He discusses how the food industry works with scientists and psychologists to manipulate processed foods to keep consumers coming back for more. It's not just a matter of creating a recipe that tastes good.
Thanks, Suzanne. I have not read that but will definitely go check into it. I just googled and see he has a lot of videos on YouTube. I have read and viewed a LOT of Michael Pollan's stuff and he is so right. He says approx 80% of products in grocery stores are made of corn, and I have been checking him out and finding out he is RIGHT. Even my cottage cheese had corn starch (by a different name) in it... I switched to an organic, higher quality brand which really is cottage cheese! And yes, it is being manipulated. We have to do our research and find out just what we are eating. Just take your favorite products and google the ingredients, and what you find is disgusting!!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #70  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

this is something we've all been told for years
I still drink soda, and diet soda...diet coke specifically, but not to lose weight, I just enjoy the taste

my favorite soda story to tell comes from my cousin
he went a year without drinking soda
no significant exercise, no change in diet, still ate badly
and just a year cutting out soda, lost 60 lbs
redreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #71  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I stopped drinking soda over 4 months ago. I was a big diet soda person due to no calories but as I did more research I came to the conclusion that soda is not going to be going in my body anymore. Occasionally I will have a regular soda if that is the only option, but I always drink water, tea (no artificial sweeteners), and coffee. On special occasions, I have a glass of 100% natural juice.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Oops, wrong thread!

Last edited by Garnet2727; 12-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I'm fortunate that I've never cared for soda. As a kid I drank it a lot, but lost the taste for it in my early 20s. I can't even really drink juice. I don't like sweet liquids, which is weird 'cause I love sweet everything else LOL I drink water pretty much exclusively except for the occasional V8 and skim milk. I've definitely never cared for diet drinks. I can taste that sickly sweet chemical and will always choose water over that. If I must have soda, I'll just drink the regular stuff, but even then I'll always choose water instead.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #74  

I don't know, when I got very slender I was drinking a lot of diet soda. I'm not convinced it's that bad for you. I drink all of my beverages through a straw anyway, so harming my teeth isn't a concern.

Last edited by CabernetKitty; 12-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote